The Student Room Group

8 year old boy executes grandmother, GTA blamed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
So you have an 8 year old kid playing GTA in a room with a loaded gun in reach... and the game gets blamed for a killing.

The parents should be fully responsible for negligence.
Why is an 8 year old playing GTA

When I was his age, I was playing crash bandicoot :laugh:
Something has to be done about all the gun crime in America, it just seems that the more it happens the more they try to ignore the problem. Why did this 8 year old know where to find the gun in the house? and also why was he playing a game clearly inappropriate for his age? His parents or guardians shouldn't have brought the game to begin with and a gun certainly shouldn't have been in his reach.
Why the heck was the gun loaded? And the 8 year old must have been told how to turn the safety off etc... combine that with negligent parenting, it's just asking for it.
I first played GTA 3 when I was 11 (2001)

Total number of people I've killed in GTA games: about 100,000

Total number of people I've killed in real life: 0

Hmm...
And all this happened in a town called Slaughter... maybe that too contributed to it all!

Because we all know how readily Americans like to jump on the 'it was someone else's fault' hill-billy band wagon!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
people need to stop using games as a scapegoat when somthing goes wrong,

I personaly think parents should be more strict and disciplin their children better, to isntil morals and so forth

Also the child is heavily at fault too imo, millions of us have played violent games at young ages, have been surrounded by violent/offensive and threatning music, tv and films and we never do anything bad or extreme,
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chikane
I agree with all your thoughts and i actually did this topic for my dissertation but also maybe the child had psychological issues (aggressive personality) i also think parents should be more aware of the ESRB ratings and what they actually mean as parents just buy their kids games to shut them up.
I mean those kids that played doom and killed many people in the columbia massacre in the states had psychological issues and one was suicidal and this was before they played the game.
The Virginia Tech killer apparently had poor social skills and had suicidal tendencies and the college knew this but did nothing until it was too late and he wasn't playing video games according to his room mate.

The news is scared to blame parents but its also easy to buy games online as they don't verify your age so tighter monitoring of this is needed.

It's pretty difficult for a child to buy a game online, given that you need a credit or debit card to do so
Reply 28
When the new GTA comes out, i'm going to go and sleep with so many prostitutes, i'll then kill them and take my money back, blame it on GTA and get off scott free...
Reply 29
Original post by Arturo Bandini
It's pretty difficult for a child to buy a game online, given that you need a credit or debit card to do so

I wasn't talking about this child i was just saying how underage children like 13 or 14 may pinch their parents card and use it.
Blaming video games, that's so last decade. And the town is called Slaughter?? What kind of name is that for a town? Anyway blaming the game is ridiculous if there was a gun which was easy to get to by a minor, which there obviously was.

Original post by niceguy95
Why is an 8 year old playing GTA

When I was his age, I was playing crash bandicoot :laugh:

When I was his age I was playing space invaders on the Atari. It was a golden age of gaming.
Reply 31
Why blame the game for it though? I've been playing GTA since I was about 6, but my parents were always there to explain me the discrepancy between real life and a video game. And I certainly didn't have access to a fully loaded gun and still don't. Blame the negligence of the parents, not the wonderful game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending