The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
has the salary changed at all?
what are some good volunteering things i can do? im 17 and live in south west london.
Original post by *Interrobang*
Your other option could be to have this as a wiki page as well :smile: I'm not interested in clinical (I'm actually going to start training as an educational psychologist instead) but I think it's great that you've answered a number of questions people have!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by scrawlx101
what are some good volunteering things i can do? im 17 and live in south west london.

It's very early to start thinking about this, and some things may not be open to you until you're 18 anyway. Things like volunteering in a mental health hospital/ward would be a good start. Doing Nightline/the Samaritans. Those are the the first things that come to mind
It's very early to start thinking about this, and some things may not be open to you until you're 18 anyway. Things like volunteering in a mental health hospital/ward would be a good start. Doing Nightline/the Samaritans. Those are the the first things that come to mind

Ok,I checked the samaritans website but the thing is that there isnt really a centre near me and i cant do it because im not 18...(im 18 in september though would you recommend i do it then)Also what are some good things i can do to enhance my UCAS stuff now in preparation for year 13.I have done :mentoring for a year at my sixth form - two boys in the lower yearabout a year of chaperoning in my sunday schoolWhat else could I do now? I want to do Psychology at University.

I'm 17.
Ok,I checked the samaritans website but the thing is that there isnt really a centre near me and i cant do it because im not 18...(im 18 in september though would you recommend i do it then)Also what are some good things i can do to enhance my UCAS stuff now in preparation for year 13.I have done :mentoring for a year at my sixth form - two boys in the lower yearabout a year of chaperoning in my sunday schoolWhat else could I do now? I want to do Psychology at University.

I'm 17.

For uni I would focus on extra reading or going to open lectures (living in London you should have plenty of opportunities for lectures). Anything you do now would just be a stepping stone to other stuff after uni, so you could always wait for the volunteering stuff to happen when you go to uni. I'm not an expert on clinical psychology volunteering stuff I'm afraid, but maybe check out things like Mind
For uni I would focus on extra reading or going to open lectures (living in London you should have plenty of opportunities for lectures). Anything you do now would just be a stepping stone to other stuff after uni, so you could always wait for the volunteering stuff to happen when you go to uni. I'm not an expert on clinical psychology volunteering stuff I'm afraid, but maybe check out things like Mind

anything i can do in general since im not entirelly sure i want to do clinical psychology due to how hard it is to get on the masters
Hi,
I'm just wondering if you think the applied clinical psychology course at Exeter uni is worth it?
The BSc Applied Psychology (Clinical) programme provides the basic training requirements towards employment as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner. With additional relevant clinical experience, this programme could lead to accreditation as a PWP with the British Psychological Society or British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies soon after graduation.
Or is a typical psychology degree better?
I have an interest in psychology but the degree feels like it very focussed on a particular aspect of clinical psychology?
Reply 47
Original post by riq23
has the salary changed at all?

"The salary for NHS funded trainees is on Agenda for Change Band 6 (as of April 2015):

First year trainees £26,041
Second year trainees £27,090
Third year trainees £28,108"

(Extract from the Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology, www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp)

An NHS Jobs website search will show the current post-qualification employment salaries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by em_nicole

I have an interest in psychology but the degree feels like it very focussed on a particular aspect of clinical psychology?

To be honest, psychology permeates a lot of employment fields. Whilst it is great to have a focus on where you would like to be career wise, a psychology degree lends itself easily toward changing your mind at a later time. The strand specific courses have the same grounding in psychological practice and research standards, so going with the branch that interests you most does not limit you to practicing in that area.

Predicted grades-Abb-AAB(unsure)

Applying to
Manchester-AAB
Loughborough-AAB
UEA-ABB
Queen Mary-ABB

Any advice on my last choice ? I need a BBB safety net.

Applying to
Manchester-AAB
Loughborough-AAB
UEA-ABB
Queen Mary-ABB

I'm afraid I don't know what unis would offer BBB as a typical offer - offers have changed a lot since my day (wow that makes me sound and feel old...). Best look at the uni websites to see what their typical offers are

Applying to
Manchester-AAB
Loughborough-AAB
UEA-ABB
Queen Mary-ABB

University of Portsmouth ask for BBB and are quite high in the guardian league tables for psychology
Reply 52
I am only 17 at the moment and next year I will be going to study psychology at university.I am interested in Clinical psychology and I have heard that it is very important to have experience when applying for a doctorate degree. I want to know what kind of things I should do (e.g work experience) that would increase my chances of getting onto a doctorate course. Where should I get experience from etc
Thank you xx
Original post by Romzy247
I am only 17 at the moment and next year I will be going to study psychology at university.I am interested in Clinical psychology and I have heard that it is very important to have experience when applying for a doctorate degree. I want to know what kind of things I should do (e.g work experience) that would increase my chances of getting onto a doctorate course. Where should I get experience from etc
Thank you xx

I personally advocate getting as much experience as you can, as early as you can. Clinical Psychology is incredibly competitive and only going to become more so. However always be mindful that the single most important thing to come out of your degree is your classification (almost nothing will make up for a 2:2 and a 1st trumps a lot of experience) so don't compromise your studies or your own sanity!

Support worker / nursing assistant roles are wonderful opportunities, more so if you can get an NHS one (start on a pension, good training opportunities, generally better pay and makes you an internal candidate further down the line). These roles invariably put you in contact with the same patient groups as a Clinical Psychologist would have and teach you a tremendous amount about working with and understanding people.

There are a myriad of other roles: befrienders, youth offending team volunteers, nightline, Barnardos, volunteering in older people's homes, homeless charities, children's charities, youth groups. Anything that puts you in contact with a vulnerable group of people.

Research is good to start on early, see if anyone in your Psych department will let you enter data for them, press some buttons or anything. It might get you your name on a paper. Then the next time they might give you something else to do, by third year you could be closely involved in some research.

Following university you're going to want to move into work as a research assistant, assistant psychologist or other similar fields, such as psychological wellbeing practitioners. These roles will give you the core of the experience you need to get on to study Clinical Psychology but the previous experience is what gets you those roles (and they are almost as competitive as the doctorate itself)
Reply 54
Thank you! That was really helpful x
Reply 55
Hello I decided to study psychology at university in 2016. But I am afraid that even I am not going to be able to do a masters because of the course being so oversubscribed. Also I am worried about getting a job after uni because I keep getting told that there is no jobs to be found with a psychology degree. So I was just wondering is this true? Does a psychology degree get you know where?
Reply 56
Would it improve my chances of getting a placement on a DClinPsy course if I was to do my Clinical Masters at the same university?
Reply 57
Original post by Girl17
Also I am worried about getting a job after uni because I keep getting told that there is no jobs to be found with a psychology degree. So I was just wondering is this true? Does a psychology degree get you know where?

I feel like I answer this question a lot on TSR. Here is my latest response on the matter from another thread:

No one "ends up in McDonalds" due to possessing a psychology degree, that's nonsense. It demonstrates an ignorance of the huge scale of roles that psychology permeates to utter such rubbish.

I have worked with pyschologists within the looked after children, education, youth offending and court service sectors. I have earned good money delivering cognitive behavioural therapy development programmes before even fully appreciating what the basis of the approach was. I have returned to study psychology as a mature student because it has been the common thread throughout a 20 year career in the fore-mentioned fields, up to consultant level.

I have said it on previous threads on the subject, do not limit employment searches in the field of psychology to those with psychology in the title. Particularly in your case where you interest lies in forensic psychology, there are plenty of progressive roles within secure settings and criminal justice sectors where a pyschology degree is sought after and the rewards, in terms of salary, are generous.

Get some work experience to decide the sector that pulls you the most and go for it!
Reply 58
Original post by CCC75
I feel like I answer this question a lot on TSR. Here is my latest response on the matter from another thread:

No one "ends up in McDonalds" due to possessing a psychology degree, that's nonsense. It demonstrates an ignorance of the huge scale of roles that psychology permeates to utter such rubbish.

I have worked with pyschologists within the looked after children, education, youth offending and court service sectors. I have earned good money delivering cognitive behavioural therapy development programmes before even fully appreciating what the basis of the approach was. I have returned to study psychology as a mature student because it has been the common thread throughout a 20 year career in the fore-mentioned fields, up to consultant level.

I have said it on previous threads on the subject, do not limit employment searches in the field of psychology to those with psychology in the title. Particularly in your case where you interest lies in forensic psychology, there are plenty of progressive roles within secure settings and criminal justice sectors where a pyschology degree is sought after and the rewards, in terms of salary, are generous.

Get some work experience to decide the sector that pulls you the most and go for it!

With all the discussion on tsr about how rubbish psychology degrees are I was surprised to find only 7% of psych grads were not in either employment or further studies 6months after graduating in 2014. (or was it 1yr? I do think it was 6months but either way that's pretty good) the way psychology is talked about on here you'd think over 50% are sitting home on the dole.
I have just been offered the same degree. What degree did your daughter choose? Thank you ever so much,some advice would mean the world to me. Thank you, Trisha

Latest