The Student Room Group

"Racist" Chippy

Saw this on the Metro and thought we at TSR could use a good laugh :smile:

A Glaswegian has accused a fish and chip shop in Edinburgh of ‘racism’ after making him pay for a sachet of ketchup.Tony Winters has kicked up a stink about the 25p charge at The Gold Sea in Ferry Road as he says the brown sauce favoured by people who live in Edinburgh is given away for free.
‘It reeks of racism. Just because we come from the west and tend to like ketchup ins

Full Story:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/27/edinburgh-chip-shop-accused-of-racism-over-25p-ketchup-charge-for-glaswegian-man-3938885

So what do we think? Obviously the term 'racist' is stupidly used here, but it does bring up an interesting topic. Should sauce and such all be free in chippy's? Should they all (except for salt and vinegar) cost extra?

Scroll to see replies

Ketchup is racist it isn't black.
Saucism at it's finest.
Reply 3
Disgusting. And we thought Russia was bad.
Reply 4
Aren't all Chippies spin-offs of Kebab shops these days?
Reply 5
25p is a bit steep for a sachet of ketchup unless it was a big sachet!
Reply 6
maybe they just buy brown sauce in bulk lol?

I remember I worked in a general store once which sold hot food as well, and we had to charge for sachetes of sauce but it was only like 5p, 25 is quite steap when you compare it to a big 500ml from the poundshop lol

that being said with chippies etc your paying for convinience, and last time I checked chip shop food was quite cheap tbh xD,

though its slightly more expensive here than in mainland U.K. (dunno why)
Reply 7
Original post by Mockery
Aren't all Chippies spin-offs of Kebab shops these days?

Ive been to alot of "traditional" chip shops that arnt, then some "traditional" chip shops which have foot long hot dogs, kebab meat "boxes" and chicken "bites" lol very diverse

that being said good chips with "kebab" sauce ontop is just bliss, artery-clogging belt-busting bliss
Typical Glaswegian :colonhash:
Reply 9
It's not our fault Glaswegians can't afford chip sauce - at least in Edinburgh we have safe drinking water :colonhash:
Unbelievable. Typical stingy East Coast swine, giving away brown sauce for free, to the stuck-up posh English Morningside Sassenach fudds that are the residents of the pathetic, freezing, bleak, American-infested doleful hellhole that is known among the few people that have the ability to speak its name without physically retching as 'Edinburgh'.... when they make the honest, hard working, friendly, amicable, entertaining, good hearted, kind, upstanding men of the majestic city that is known to all the world over in protestant and catholic pubs, in Ibrox, Parkhead and Westminster, in Ireland and in Iceland, in Reykjavik and in Recife, in Annan and in Antananarivo, as the fine, teeming, cosmopolitan metropolis of Glasgow.

I'm surprised they even have chip shops in Edinburgh, I thought they just had old witchlike crones sitting around in drawing rooms that open on to the street, addressing all who have the folly to enter with the resounding welcome 'Ye'll have had your tea...'.

Charging for ketchup... next the Indian takeaways will be charging for curry sauce, you'll just get chicken with a coating of turmeric powder otherwise. But its no more than you'd expect, frankly there's only one reason to visit Edinburgh at all, and that is to see the fine landmark that is of course, the M8 to Glasgow. If Scotland becomes independent, the first thing we need to do is make Glasgow our capital, and the second thing is to make it a law that anyone who charges for ketchup must be forthwith deported to Transnistria.
wat
What a moron. Clearly he's too tight fisted to just pay the 25p. And then calling it racism, what a dope.
Reply 13
Original post by Copperknickers
Unbelievable. Typical stingy East Coast swine, giving away brown sauce for free, to the stuck-up posh English Morningside Sassenach fudds that are the residents of the pathetic, freezing, bleak, American-infested doleful hellhole that is known among the few people that have the ability to speak its name without physically retching as 'Edinburgh'.... when they make the honest, hard working, friendly, amicable, entertaining, good hearted, kind, upstanding men of the majestic city that is known to all the world over in protestant and catholic pubs, in Ibrox, Parkhead and Westminster, in Ireland and in Iceland, in Reykjavik and in Recife, in Annan and in Antananarivo, as the fine, teeming, cosmopolitan metropolis of Glasgow.

I'm surprised they even have chip shops in Edinburgh, I thought they just had old witchlike crones sitting around in drawing rooms that open on to the street, addressing all who have the folly to enter with the resounding welcome 'Ye'll have had your tea...'.

Charging for ketchup... next the Indian takeaways will be charging for curry sauce, you'll just get chicken with a coating of turmeric powder otherwise. But its no more than you'd expect, frankly there's only one reason to visit Edinburgh at all, and that is to see the fine landmark that is of course, the M8 to Glasgow. If Scotland becomes independent, the first thing we need to do is make Glasgow our capital, and the second thing is to make it a law that anyone who charges for ketchup must be forthwith deported to Transnistria.

Nah am soond mate. And so's the rest of Scotland.
Reply 14
25p?!
This world is coming to an end.
Reply 15
sue him for a quid
Original post by Kiss
Nah am soond mate. And so's the rest of Scotland.

Its nice that you speak for the whole of the rest of Scotland, you must be very popular. Anyway, most of the rest of Scotland are from Glasgow, excluding Edinburgh the Greater Glasgow Metro area makes up about half the population.
Reply 17
'Salt and sauce' munching Edinburgh natives are a bunch of bloody degenerates.
what a ****.
Reply 19
Original post by Copperknickers

Are you serious? I can't believe I just read that hahahaha!! We must be such a bad city if so many people come and visit and I've been to Glasgow and I'm not saying its a horrible place but its got a worse reputation than Edinburgh for a reason! Just because ONE chippy in Edinburgh has charged for chip sauce then an idiot has claimed it as racism for attention doesn't make it a bad place. Actually I could link hundreds of articles from Glasgow which makes it look like a war camp, cheers :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending