The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Flank Runner
:ts:Currently Serving in the 3rd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment, hoping to attend Sandhurst in april 07:ts:

Ugh, smelly pongos. Fish heads all the way.
er... how is all this youve just posted supposed to help exactly?
Reply 22
Is the purpouse of H&R to help?
hmmm... let me think about this one...

yes.
Reply 24
I work at a depertment store where i have seen 100's of ugly guys with hot looking chicks, i dont know how they do it though.:rolleyes:

I even saw a friend of mine from primary school, who is now extreamly obese with a hot chick. :p:

anyway, i remember watching a documentry few months ago on channel4 called "half a ton man" basically in the documentry the guy posts an ad on "lonely hearts" section in his local news paper and this chick(more like a fat woman with bad teeth + bad looks) gives him a call and get married.

so anything is possiable. if the worst comes to worst, why do you think we have soho :biggrin: £££ will get you hot chicks xxx :biggrin:
Anonymous
im a guy and im ugly, 18 and never had a gf. its my eyes really im just not very good looking at all, is there anything i can do to alter my face appearance. it will help me with confidence if i have a good face. i have an ok personality but my face is just holding me back from going out there... :frown: is there any way i can change my face without surgery ? i never get any attention from girls.

guys what do u do to improve ur looks? and girls what wud u suggest?

Count your blessings that you're a guy. Whereas we guys will focus a lot on looks to decide who we're attracted to, girls do that a lot less.

I have plenty of male friends who aren't naturally attractive whatsoever (I have to rely on female opinions to get that) but who are extremely successful with the ladies and male friends who are supposed to be incredibly good-looking and who never get anywhere with girls.

In my experience, girls don't go for looks but for a 'style' of guy. They want a guy who represents what they want in a guy. Looks are secondary. This 'style' can be made from their personality or the way they dress or the way they behave. Female friends I know have either been into the 'preppy' type, the 'pretty boy' type, the 'MBA student' type, the 'musician' type.
For example, one of the guys I hung out with at uni had really dopey eyes, he looked like he'd been smoking weed all day but that was 24/7! I don't want to sound too harsh but he really was pretty ugly, had long dyed hair, dressed terribly but he was a clever guy, an excellent musician and his girlfriend of 3 years is an incredibly attractive girl. She obviously was into the whole musician thing.

It's all more easily said than done but remember that looks won't get you too far with girls but being happy with your looks will show through your personality and you'll have a grown confidence. As a guy, there are few things that you can't work around: you're overweight, then you just start going to the gym everyday, you're going bald? shave your hair off and try and get a freddie ljunberg look. You have a not so attractive face? go and get some fancy haircut and most girls can't tell you're ugly :rolleyes:

Anyway, find yourself a 'style' and stick to it. That's about as much advice I can give.
thats good advice from samtheman but id advise building it up slowly because if you suddenly start dressing in a completely different way you'll probably feel very self concious with your new look. This may actually have an adverse effect on your confidence.

Going to the gym is a safe bet though.
Reply 27
The Caretaker
hmmm... let me think about this one...

yes.

Is it? I see...
SamTheMan

For example, one of the guys I hung out with at uni had really dopey eyes, he looked like he'd been smoking weed all day but that was 24/7! I don't want to sound too harsh but he really was pretty ugly, had long dyed hair, dressed terribly but he was a clever guy, an excellent musician and his girlfriend of 3 years is an incredibly attractive girl. She obviously was into the whole musician thing.

Sound like a bazillion men I know!

As a guy, there are few things that you can't work around: you're overweight, then you just start going to the gym everyday, you're going bald? shave your hair off and try and get a freddie ljunberg look. You have a not so attractive face? go and get some fancy haircut and most girls can't tell you're ugly :rolleyes:

These are great tips. These activities will help in that you'll gain confidence and generally feel better about yourself. Confidence is sexy, we all know this. :smile:

I know you're probably sick of hearing that looks aren't everything, but we hear this a lot because its true. I felt the same way as you (the thread starter) when I was younger, but I did my best to improve my confidence: got braces to sort my teeth, sorted my hair and skin (well, thats still in progress) and started wearing clothes that made me feel happy. Sometimes I look in the mirror and dream of being as 'beautiful' as the people I see on tv or in films, but those thoughts are fleeting and irrational. Ugly is subjective remember. It's subjective god dammit! :p:
im ugly, give me tips

You'll never be a waitress with that strategy...
SamTheMan
Count your blessings that you're a guy. Whereas we guys will focus a lot on looks to decide who we're attracted to, girls do that a lot less.

I have plenty of male friends who aren't naturally attractive whatsoever (I have to rely on female opinions to get that) but who are extremely successful with the ladies and male friends who are supposed to be incredibly good-looking and who never get anywhere with girls.

In my experience, girls don't go for looks but for a 'style' of guy. They want a guy who represents what they want in a guy. Looks are secondary. This 'style' can be made from their personality or the way they dress or the way they behave. Female friends I know have either been into the 'preppy' type, the 'pretty boy' type, the 'MBA student' type, the 'musician' type.

It's all more easily said than done but remember that looks won't get you too far with girls but being happy with your looks will show through your personality and you'll have a grown confidence. As a guy, there are few things that you can't work around: you're overweight, then you just start going to the gym everyday, you're going bald? shave your hair off and try and get a freddie ljunberg look. You have a not so attractive face? go and get some fancy haircut and most girls can't tell you're ugly :rolleyes:

Anyway, find yourself a 'style' and stick to it. That's about as much advice I can give.

Yes. Insightful. Men arent supposed to know this though. So sssshhh!
The Caretaker
thats good advice from samtheman but id advise building it up slowly because if you suddenly start dressing in a completely different way you'll probably feel very self concious with your new look. This may actually have an adverse effect on your confidence.

Going to the gym is a safe bet though.

I agree with you there. You can't think that changing the way you appear to other people will change overnight.

Going to the gym is good but requires motivation. Hopefully the OP has plenty of that!
i think if the OP is serious about not liking the way he looks then he will do whatever's neccessary to change. Self critism is a very strong motivator.
Anonymous

Why aren't they supposed to know?! :confused:

black_mamba

Sound like a bazillion men I know!

Really? Even the long blonde dyed hair? This friend looked like he came straight out of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (it's so old that some of you won't even remember it) so I'm surprised anyone would still look like that today.

The musician type is probably the most successful 'style' you can have if you're not very good-looking but there are other styles that maybe you girls can say you like... lol I made the mistake when I was younger (and still do in a way) of making a point of not corresponding to any type. I'd hang out with the surfer or skateboarder crowd as much as the intellectual crowd or the alcoholic crowd but never conformed to any style. Big mistake. Because I'd rarely be any girl's type.
Reply 34
ill tell you what's not sexy though. being overly cynical and pedantic.
The Caretaker
ill tell you what's not sexy though. being overly cynical

Sh*t.... that explains a few things.
:biggrin: maybe i should've used the word "inappropriately" rather than "overly"
djmarkmclachlan

Disagreed. ''In the eye of the beholder'' is a fairytale.

Well no one told me!! I'll play ignorant to that... :rolleyes:

SamTheMan

Really? Even the long blonde dyed hair? This friend looked like he came straight out of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (it's so old that some of you won't even remember it) so I'm surprised anyone would still look like that today.

Great movie, it is really that old now? :eek:

The musician type is probably the most successful 'style' you can have if you're not very good-looking but there are other styles that maybe you girls can say you like... lol I made the mistake when I was younger (and still do in a way) of making a point of not corresponding to any type. I'd hang out with the surfer or skateboarder crowd as much as the intellectual crowd or the alcoholic crowd but never conformed to any style. Big mistake. Because I'd rarely be any girl's type.

Well I doubt that having a vague outward style is a problem. My partner has no obvious outward style and belongs to no obvious group such as musician, skater, etc. and nor do I. Well perhaps the geek style, but not in looks in any case. And lots of people prefer it this way, right folks? :smile:
Reply 39
PrinceOfCats
You'll never be a waitress with that strategy...

Haha. On guard.

Anonymous

Aye...

SamTheMan

You have made a very odd point, which pisses me off (even though it had been one of the reasons I have over 60 notches on the bed (amongst other) posts (i.e. bench posts etc). I was on the train this one time, standing due to no seats, daytime, no gimmicks (record bag, headphones etc) and three chicks were, also standing, and one of them said ''you look like a DJ''. I was bewildered at how I ''looked'' like a DJ, as I don't conform the stereotype (because I'm not in it for the girls).

However, I disagree because you are advising im to be conform to one group, even if he doesn't fit into one? As nice as it sounds, doesn't happen (regularly anyway). I was a professional DJ playing all over Europe at the age of 14, playing old school Hardcore (yes, chav music). I was part of the debating society. I played football at a high level for a well recognised team. I hung about with ''gekks''. The ''cool'' people constantly wanted to be my friend. Some people can fit into stereotypes, but to say you must enter one so you can pull girls from that one, is false advertising.

You must be yourself, but unfortunately (despite the hypocritical theories (hyporticial because you who have said the crap about confidence substitutes looks are the very same people who will look to good looking people over confidence)) if you're ugly you are ugly - God made you ugly for a reason, accept it and lower your standards.

The Caretaker
ill tell you what's not sexy though. being overly cynical and pedantic.

Girls love arrogance. Being a pedantic sod only really comes out on here though; 'cause it's fun. Anyway, I'm glad you don't find my being cynical and pedantic sexy. Wouldn't be sexy if you found me sexy, not for me anyway.

black_mamba
Well no one told me!! I'll play ignorant to that... :rolleyes:

You've been advised. Santa is dead too, sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending