The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Joining the open university

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't know whether anything is different for registering with loans, because I'm on the old system, but from there on in:

You get sent the course materials (generally books, sometimes CDs or DVDs, occasionally other things - it depends on the module).

When the module begins, you get access to the module website which includes a study planner telling you what, in theory, you should be doing each week. In practice, the only things you actually have to do at/by the time stated (or at all, really) are assessed pieces of work like TMAs. For the rest, you'll find that a certain number of people whizz ahead through the materials; others go at more or less the recommended pace; others still go more slowly. There's usually a module forum where people can discuss how they're getting on, but you don't have to.

For most (but not all) modules, you have a tutor. They'll probably send out a 'hello' e-mail at the beginning, and will be available to contact if you have any problems, but you don't have to have much contact with them if you don't choose to. There may or may not be face-to-face tutorials, or online tutorials. My advice is that it's worth having a bit of contact with your tutor, because apart from anything else, this person is marking your work and I feel like it's a good thing if they have some idea who you are and that you have an interest in what's happening on the course. I don't mean, like, sending them messages all the time or anything excessive, but I do make a point of engaging with any online activity they post up, and I try to go to f2f tutorials when I can. I also find that they can tell you useful things in terms of pointers about the assignments (for example, common mistakes people make when approaching them, or providing access to sample assignments at different grade levels) which I find helpful.

Broadly speaking, though, you just get on with it!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending