The Student Room Group

uni choices too aggressive? or just right?

Hi

Going into year 13 next week, and so will be applying to uni next month.

Got my AS results about two weeks ago and they were:

A in Economics - [ ec1 (85), ec2 (81) ]
A in Maths - [ c1 (91) , c2 (89) , m1 (82) ]
A in Further Maths - [ fp1 (81), d1 (83), s1 (83) ]
A in German - [ oral exam (84), listening reading writing exam (85) ]

GCSEs (2012): 10 A*'s (all in one sitting)
+ an A in GCSE Greek (taken in 2011)

UCAS choices:
1. Oxford (Merton) - G100 Mathematics
2. Imperial - G100 Mathematics
3. LSE - GL11 Mathematics and Economics
4. UCL - G1L1 Mathematics with Economics
5. Kings College London - G100 Mathematics

are these ok? or are they too aggressive?

Not applying to Cambridge since i reckon my ums scores are pretty sh*t for cambridge standards, especially my low further maths scores.
Also i reckon Oxford would be a better bet since i heard they look at gcses more than cambridge, and i'm hoping my ones are above average...

Spoke to my teachers on results day, and my A2 predictions are likely to be A*A*A*A.
Desperately gonna try and persuade my german teacher to predict me an A* but i doubt he'll budge..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
You'd probably have a fairly good chance of getting an offer from at least one. However, it might be a god idea to put at least one university with slightly lower entry standards down just in case.
Reply 3
Just to add - cant you only have 4 options if applying to Oxbridge??

+1 to having one uni with lower entry standards
Reply 4
No, I don't think your choices are too aggressive. No candidate is ever guaranteed an offer at Oxford/Cambridge, even with the best grades - however you can't really get much better than yours, so definitely go for it! As for your other 4 choices, from my experience, I'd say you definitely stand a chance. Good luck and believe in yourself!
I dont think they are too aggressive, infact I think they are just about right with the grades you have. Its good to aim high and you would definitely have a good chance of getting alteast 1 offer so go for it! Btw I am also applying to Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Warwick so maybe I don't view your choices in such a risky way as it could be.
Reply 6
Tbh, you'll get an offer from King's I think. But, its good to be safe. Then again, you need to think, would you accept the safe offer if it was your only one? Personally, I'd reject and reapply. Hence, those would be good options for me. If you would do the same, those are good options. Btw, have you considered Warwick?
Reply 7
Original post by Rosasaurr
Just to add - cant you only have 4 options if applying to Oxbridge??

+1 to having one uni with lower entry standards

It's four options for prospective medics, vets and dentists.
Reply 8
Original post by TerribleTej
I dont think they are too aggressive, infact I think they are just about right with the grades you have. Its good to aim high and you would definitely have a good chance of getting alteast 1 offer so go for it! Btw I am also applying to Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Warwick so maybe I don't view your choices in such a risky way as it could be.

Nice, hows your UMS scores for Cambridge?

im giving it a miss, since mine are quite low, only got in the 90s for one module lol... and that was c1 !

As for warwick, i don't intend on taking STEP, hence why i'm not applying there. Also i've lived in south london all my life, and i don't really want to move out of London unless its for Oxbridge
Reply 9
Original post by Tuya
Tbh, you'll get an offer from King's I think. But, its good to be safe. Then again, you need to think, would you accept the safe offer if it was your only one? Personally, I'd reject and reapply. Hence, those would be good options for me. If you would do the same, those are good options. Btw, have you considered Warwick?

As for warwick, i don't intend on taking STEP, hence why i'm not applying there. Also i've lived in south london all my life, and i don't really want to move out of London unless its for Oxbridge
Original post by Tuya
It's four options for prospective medics, vets and dentists.

fair enough, nobody I know was going into any of them so I wouldn't know :smile:
Original post by Samberry
Nice, hows your UMS scores for Cambridge?

im giving it a miss, since mine are quite low, only got in the 90s for one module lol... and that was c1 !

Fair enough, I can understand why you are applying to Oxford over Cambridge, but If you dont intend to do step, why are you applying to imperial as they require step or one of those other maths exams.

My UMS average across my four main subjects is 95.1%. I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am applying for economics. I also did an EPQ though.
Don't worry too much about it, I had only slightly better grades than you and got offers from Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, and Warwick. I was nervous as **** about doing it before, but as long as you've got a decent PS you'll be good, if anyone needs any advice about UCAS and maths PM me.
Reply 13
Original post by TerribleTej
Fair enough, I can understand why you are applying to Oxford over Cambridge, but If you dont intend to do step, why are you applying to imperial as they require step or one of those other maths exams.

My UMS average across my four main subjects is 95.1%. I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics and I am applying for economics. I also did an EPQ though.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/admissions/ug/applications_and_offers

You don't have to do STEP for imperial, you can just take the MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test).

It makes sense for me I reckon, since Oxford requires you to sit the MAT. So i'm sort of killing two birds
Hi

Going into year 13 next week, and so will be applying to uni next month.

Got my AS results about two weeks ago and they were:

A in Economics - [ ec1 (85), ec2 (81) ]
A in Maths - [ c1 (91) , c2 (89) , m1 (82) ]
A in Further Maths - [ fp1 (81), d1 (83), s1 (83) ]
A in German - [ oral exam (84), listening reading writing exam (85) ]

GCSEs (2012): 10 A*'s (all in one sitting)
+ an A in GCSE Greek (taken in 2011)

UCAS choices:
1. Oxford (Merton) - G100 Mathematics
2. Imperial - G100 Mathematics
3. LSE - GL11 Mathematics and Economics
4. UCL - G1L1 Mathematics with Economics
5. Kings College London - G100 Mathematics

are these ok? or are they too aggressive?

Not applying to Cambridge since i reckon my ums scores are pretty sh*t for cambridge standards, especially my low further maths scores.
Also i reckon Oxford would be a better bet since i heard they look at gcses more than cambridge, and i'm hoping my ones are above average...

Spoke to my teachers on results day, and my A2 predictions are likely to be A*A*A*A.
Desperately gonna try and persuade my german teacher to predict me an A* but i doubt he'll budge..

Just saying, Cambridge (for Maths) do not place a huge emphasis on UMS scores. They conducted a study into the correlation between UMS and degree classification and found strong positive correlation for the likes of Economics, but it was very weak (insignificant, I think ,the coefficient was 0.1 or so) for Maths - so don't let that put you off entirely. And again, for Maths, Oxford don't care too much about your GCSEs. Maths is different to other subjects in that natural ability counts for a hell of a lot more.

You have a good insurance in KCL so your choices are just fine. I know someone who got in to KCL for Maths with 8 UMS in S2... (at the time of applying that is, he did retake the next year and received 78 UMS)
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/admissions/ug/applications_and_offers

You don't have to do STEP for imperial, you can just take the MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test).

It makes sense for me I reckon, since Oxford requires you to sit the MAT. So i'm sort of killing two birds

oh that makes it much easier than, then defo apply for oxford, it will take you much less time to prepare.

edit: I meant that it will save you a lot of time as you wont have to prepare for step.
I'm pretty sure with those results you will be absolutely fine, as long as you have a strong personal statement. I am green with envy!
Wow, congrats on landing all those offers!

how much is slightly better if you don't mind me asking?

i just want to know where i stand

do you remember your ums scores per module??

Thanks, this was last year btw, and well 12 A*s & 2 As at GCSE, and 5 As at AS in Maths, Further, Bio, Chem, Phys, then A2 predictions where 4 A*s after I dropped chemistry. And yeah, 100 in C1, C2, C3, C4 & M1, like 87 in S1, 89 in D1, I think. Probably worked in my favour I went to an underachieving comp as well, because Cambridge factor that in on the SAQ.
My schoolmate got an offer from King's Mathematics even though she got only ABBB in her As (B in Further)
So King's is relatively a safe choice for you.
Good Luck:smile:
And yeah!! I'm also going into A2 in the coming academic year.
I'm going to apply
Cambridge
Imperial
LSE
Warwick
Manchester(not really sure)

Quick Reply

Latest