The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread 2013/2014

This is a thread for everyone taking a gap year from 2013 to 2014 - meet others in your position!

What are your gap year plans? :h:

Struggling for gap year ideas and/or bored?

Au pair abroad - either with an agency or on one of the free websites such as 'greataupair'

Spend 6 or 9 months in a private American boarding school on a scholarship - http://www.esu.org/programmes/schools/after-leaving-school/secondary-school-exchange

Find a job and work, either abroad or at home

Be a holiday rep in places like Ibiza, Magaluf etc

Teach English abroad

Volunteer abroad or at home

Start going to the gym and get super hot

Learn a new language using 'duolingo', 'babbel', 'memrise' etc

Read those books you had always meant to

Learn how to draw

Write a diary for the whole gap year

Go hiking by yourself

Go on day trips to other places

Offer dog-walking, babysitting, cleaning etc services to your family, neighbours, friends to earn some money

Take up running, swimming, yoga, whatever you fancy

Retake some exams

Apply to university

Work on a summer camp like beaumont, camp america etc

Become a cultural representative at Disneyworld for 12 months - http://ip.disneycareers.com/en/cultural-representative-program/overview/

Volunteer abroad through this http://www.workaway.info

Join a 12 week development programme to get prepared for work http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/about_the_trust/what_we_do/programmes/team_programme.aspx

Learn to ride a bike

Learn to cross-stitch, knit, make clothes - get creative!

Learn to drive

Write a novel - on your own or as part of the 'NaNoWriMo challenge' - http://nanowrimo.org/

Got some ideas for the list? Quote me and I'll add them :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k1rby
This is a thread for everyone taking a gap year from 2013 to 2014 - meet others in your position!

What are your gap year plans? :h:

Hi :smile: I'd love to talk to others taking a gap year! As for plans, I have not a clue D: so hopefully ill get some inspiration...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Butterfly9595
Hi :smile: I'd love to talk to others taking a gap year! As for plans, I have not a clue D: so hopefully ill get some inspiration...

For the next few weeks, I'm sorting out my application for this scholarship to go to a private american boarding school for 6 months (http://www.esu.org/programmes/scholarships/students/secondary-school-exchange). Theeennn lounge around for a few months - maybe visit my dad's cousin in Canada and work on her brewery/restaurant/farm. Also, go to an interview for the scholarship thing and sort out visas. Then in late december hopefully go to the USA! :tongue:

Have you thought about au-pairing? :smile:
Original post by k1rby
For the next few weeks, I'm sorting out my application for this scholarship to go to a private american boarding school for 6 months (http://www.esu.org/programmes/scholarships/students/secondary-school-exchange). Theeennn lounge around for a few months - maybe visit my dad's cousin in Canada and work on her brewery/restaurant/farm. Also, go to an interview for the scholarship thing and sort out visas. Then in late december hopefully go to the USA! :tongue:

Have you thought about au-pairing? :smile:

The scholarship sounds fantastic - I hope you get on it! I'm looking into au pairing but im a little unsure... I still need to apply to UCAS and decide what subject to study too - argh! Are you applying to uni too, deferred entry, or going to do something totally different? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The scholarship sounds fantastic - I hope you get on it! I'm looking into au pairing but im a little unsure... I still need to apply to UCAS and decide what subject to study too - argh! Are you applying to uni too, deferred entry, or going to do something totally different? :smile:]

Ah UCAS, I do not miss it. I applied for deferred entry :smile:
Original post by k1rby
Ah UCAS, I do not miss it. I applied for deferred entry :smile:

Lucky :smile: what are you going to do? And I've started looking into au pairing a bit more (for anyone reading but not posting on this thread, au pair world appears to be okay and is free) so ill see what happens...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Lucky :smile: what are you going to do? And I've started looking into au pairing a bit more (for anyone reading but not posting on this thread, au pair world appears to be okay and is free) so ill see what happens...

I'm applying for a scholarship that would mean I spend 6 months in a private American boarding school and follow their curriculum :tongue: the best au pair website I found was 'greataupair.com' (not greataupairs the agency) but like with any of these free websites be on guard for scans :smile:
Reply 7
I'm considering a working holiday in either Canada or New Zealand. I'm swayed towards Canada, yet the application process for IEC doesn't open until the beginning of next year. If I went for New Zealand, I'd probably be looking to go at the beginning of the summer season (December).

I think my plan would be to travel and sightsee for a bit and then find work, probably in hospitality or agriculture. It's cheaper to get to Canada yet going to New Zealand would allow me to make a few stop-offs in Asia, such as Hong Kong.

Seeing as I've had no luck in the job market since graduating last year (working in retail and volunteering in administration), I thought it best to take the opportunity.

What do others think? Canada or New Zealand?
Reply 8
Original post by nelR
I'm considering a working holiday in either Canada or New Zealand. I'm swayed towards Canada, yet the application process for IEC doesn't open until the beginning of next year. If I went for New Zealand, I'd probably be looking to go at the beginning of the summer season (December).

I think my plan would be to travel and sightsee for a bit and then find work, probably in hospitality or agriculture. It's cheaper to get to Canada yet going to New Zealand would allow me to make a few stop-offs in Asia, such as Hong Kong.

Seeing as I've had no luck in the job market since graduating last year (working in retail and volunteering in administration), I thought it best to take the opportunity.

What do others think? Canada or New Zealand?

I say New Zealand because you could go earlier and you could travel and experience non-western countries too. It sounds like from your post that you prefer new Zealand too - this is your one chance to do this so don't let cost of flights affect your decision too much (unless you literally can't afford it). :smile:
Hi, I'm going to join this thread. Also on a gap. Looking for a job currently but failing that I'll volunteer part time at a charity shop so I have some structure to my life. Other than that weightlifting at the gym (may do a powerlifting competition ) and also practice judo and do competitions in that too. If I earn enough money I may go abroad but its an expensive option.

Come on people, where are the rest of the gappers ?
Reply 10
Original post by A random human
Hi, I'm going to join this thread. Also on a gap. Looking for a job currently but failing that I'll volunteer part time at a charity shop so I have some structure to my life. Other than that weightlifting at the gym (may do a powerlifting competition ) and also practice judo and do competitions in that too. If I earn enough money I may go abroad but its an expensive option.

Come on people, where are the rest of the gappers ?

I hope you find a job! They are a rarity.

I need some more structure in my life as I got the next 4 months to burn - besides babysitting/cleaning/dogwalking for my parents (I'm fortunate in that they are fairly rich and will pay for my flights next year if I do loads of chores for them the next few months which is fair). So thank you for the volunteering idea! I'm not a big fan of any charities that advertise on TV, help animals close to extinction or work globally, so I'll try to a find a local project. I'm a sceptic of how much good they do and hate the whole rich man goes in for a week to save the poor 3rd world countries then inadvertently exploit them. I know they mean well though.

I know.. where are alllll the peeeeople? :nooo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Start a youtube channel vlogging your gap? I may do something similar, but more fitness/weightilfting related. Also, im assuming you're a girl (the way you write is very girly) so you would attract a lot of attention online too, be careful in that respect, but would also mean you attain more subscribers and achieve more views, as well as comments, but like i said, it wont be uncommon to get the creepy perverted ones since you're female.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm job hunting now too - it's so depressing! Agree with getting more structure in - I just want to do something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Start a youtube channel vlogging your gap? I may do something similar, but more fitness/weightilfting related. Also, im assuming you're a girl (the way you write is very girly) so you would attract a lot of attention online too, be careful in that respect, but would also mean you attain more subscribers and achieve more views, as well as comments, but like i said, it wont be uncommon to get the creepy perverted ones since you're female.

You're lucky I am female - didn't realise I wrote girly-y! I'll have to work on that. I would do that but I won't because it would a) be embarrassing and b) get no views and c) be forever on record and d) be embarrassing.

How's the job search going? Any interviews so far?
I wasn't implying writing girly was a bad thing but go ahead. Everyone has that nervousness when making youtube videos, however it doesn't have to be the typical dreary mind-numbing seen (well actually, not seen seeing the little views they receive) on youtube. Treat it more like a creative project. One of the guys i look up to on youtube is frank yang. He is a little crazy but it is very creative and something i want to follow when i create my own videos. The views will build over time. In any case, its up to but its an idea on keeping yourself occupied during the gap.

No interviews, no replies. Dull, but I am occupied at the moment with UCAS and personal statement which gives some substance to my days, however for not much longer as i will need to apply by the end of this month.

EDIT:

One of franks less weird and explicit videos, although still very strange, but very creative. [CAUTION]

[video="youtube;VFLdylmPohE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLdylmPohE[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I wasn't implying writing girly was a bad thing but go ahead. Everyone has that nervousness when making youtube videos, however it doesn't have to be the typical dreary mind-numbing seen (well actually, not seen seeing the little views they receive) on youtube. Treat it more like a creative project. One of the guys i look up to on youtube is frank yang. He is a little crazy but it is very creative and something i want to follow when i create my own videos. The views will build over time. In any case, its up to but its an idea on keeping yourself occupied during the gap.

No interviews, no replies. Dull, but I am occupied at the moment with UCAS and personal statement which gives some substance to my days, however for not much longer as i will need to apply by the end of this month.

EDIT:

One of franks less weird and explicit videos, although still very strange, but very creative. [CAUTION]

[video="youtube;VFLdylmPohE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFLdylmPohE[/video]

(please quote me otherwise I might not see your replies)

Online I'd rather appear androgynous - I've found users on forums take me less seriously if they know I'm a girl haha.

I'll definitely keep vlogging in mind if I get to the kind-of bored stage when I actually want to do something (which I'm expecting to happen in a week or so), rather than the kind that just drains you.

By apply at the end of this month, I'm guessing you're applying for medicine/dentistry/veterinary or oxbridge?
Is it possible to do an entire A-level in your gap year and do colleges offer this?
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous263
Is it possible to do an entire A-level in your gap year and do colleges offer this?

Yep lots of people do it. Colleges can do but don't have to. Usually you would self-teach the A level at home then sit your exam with their students. They could let you sit in on their AS and A2 lessons. It would vary so contact your local ones - you would also have to pay to sit the exams. :smile:
Original post by k1rby
(please quote me otherwise I might not see your replies)

Online I'd rather appear androgynous - I've found users on forums take me less seriously if they know I'm a girl haha.

I'll definitely keep vlogging in mind if I get to the kind-of bored stage when I actually want to do something (which I'm expecting to happen in a week or so), rather than the kind that just drains you.

By apply at the end of this month, I'm guessing you're applying for medicine/dentistry/veterinary or oxbridge?

Med.

Original post by Anonymous263

You can self study. Contact your 6th form/college.
Reply 19
Med.

Cool, I've got a deferred offer for medicine. Best of luck!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest