The Student Room Group

PETROLEUM Engineering 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Smack
Seeing what I can get. Open to changing industry, particularly something similar to oil & gas like chemicals, power, renewables, nuclear (basically energy or anything that involves big industrial plant), as well as building/construction.

you have quite notable engineering experience that going into any of those sectors should be easy for someone of your calibre :wink:

p.s.

Spoiler

Original post by a10
you have quite notable engineering experience that going into any of those sectors should be easy for someone of your calibre :wink:

p.s.

Spoiler

Are you in marine?
Reply 442
Original post by Smack
Are you in marine?

That's where I'll be heading (and want to head after graduation) this summer if I pass my final interview in London shortly :biggrin:
Original post by a10
That's where I'll be heading (and want to head after graduation) this summer if I pass my final interview in London shortly :biggrin:

What's the salary like for marine engineers
Reply 444
Original post by GeologyMaths
What's the salary like for marine engineers

quite decent, although i'm not bothered about the salary as per say.....

I enjoy the work in the industry and the travel opportunities you have not to mention the sheer scale of engineering involved! It is astonishing.
Original post by a10
quite decent, although i'm not bothered about the salary as per say.....

I enjoy the work in the industry and the travel opportunities you have not to mention the sheer scale of engineering involved! It is astonishing.

How much we talking? 'It seems an interesting job tbh(: but could a petroleum engineering decent land you a job in marine?
Original post by a10

Good luck! My granddad used to be a boat builder, incidentally, during WW2.
Reply 447
How much we talking? 'It seems an interesting job tbh(: but could a petroleum engineering decent land you a job in marine?

as with other industries it depends what kind of engineer you are....you can google it and get an idea of what's possible!

Not sure if petroleum engineering can land you a job in marine it seems to be mainly electrical and mechanical engineers if i'm honest :smile:
Reply 448
Original post by Smack

Thanks! Hopefully I don't cock this one up :biggrin: :lol:

And wow that's amazing, it's crazy how massive the ships/boats can be!
Original post by Smack

Original post by a10
as with other industries it depends what kind of engineer you are....you can google it and get an idea of what's possible!

Not sure if petroleum engineering can land you a job in marine it seems to be mainly electrical and mechanical engineers if i'm honest :smile:

Hi, I am need of urgent help. I applied for BEng Petroleum Engineering and got offers. I now feel like changing to BSc Mathematics then doing a masters in Petroleum Engineering (ICL for example). Is this possible? Will it affect my employability? The reason why i want to do this, is because if employment is difficult post-graduation for PEs, I can go into another field such as banking whilst coming back to PE
Hi, I am need of urgent help. I applied for BEng Petroleum Engineering and got offers. I now feel like changing to BSc Mathematics then doing a masters in Petroleum Engineering (ICL for example). Is this possible? Will it affect my employability? The reason why i want to do this, is because if employment is difficult post-graduation for PEs, I can go into another field such as banking whilst coming back to PE

I *think* you can cancel your current UCAS application and then send a completely new one. But you'd have to submit the new one by 6pm today! (Including getting a new PS and references sorted)

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/making-changes

Call UCAS now, and check if your teachers can do the reference in time.

Sorry, can't really help there, but I think you can go into MSc petroleum engineering from a variety of STEM degree backgrounds, including maths, but best check with the course providers.
Original post by Oilfreak1
yeah it wasn't terrible for MEng's and MSc's just for the BEngs, not sure about other universities but the trend for Manchester's PE is that it has always been difficult for home students to secure jobs without postgrad.

I suspect that this year even those with MEng/MSc's will struggle to secure employment in the industry.

Are you personally concerned that the price has fallen below $30 for the first time in over 10 years? Does this means it'll never rise back up to $70+? Was does this mean for the future of PetEng? Thanks (:
Are you personally concerned that the price has fallen below $30 for the first time in over 10 years? Does this means it'll never rise back up to $70+? Was does this mean for the future of PetEng? Thanks (:

Concerned certainly, as i'm dead set on finance though it only really affects my "plan B".

price will recover, just not anytime soon
Original post by Oilfreak1
Concerned certainly, as i'm dead set on finance though it only really affects my "plan B".

price will recover, just not anytime soon

What year do you reckon it'll recover? 2020? What is your plan A? Also, if you are unable to find employment post MSc graduation, what would you go into instead?
What year do you reckon it'll recover? 2020? What is your plan A? Also, if you are unable to find employment post MSc graduation, what would you go into instead?

- cant say
- finance
- already have a job
Hey, is there anyone starting his /her PE course in Manchester this September?
Original post by ayoub96
Hey, is there anyone starting his /her PE course in Manchester this September?

R u? As a progressing second year student, i wouldn’t haha.
Original post by Faaiz Shah
R u? As a progressing second year student, i wouldn’t haha.

Well, yeah so far I'm going there. Anyway, is there any specific reason that you wouldn't?
Original post by ayoub96
Well, yeah so far I'm going there. Anyway, is there any specific reason that you wouldn't?

Do it if u are fully committed. Thats all i can really say at this time. Also its harder then mechanical or chemical engineering. Sorry to fellow mech/chem engineers but pe is a mix of too many topics. Also there will be like max 20ish ppl in ur class.

Quick Reply

Latest