The Student Room Group

If getting a job wasn't an issue... What degree would you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I assume you mean getting a job you actually want wasn't an issue :tongue:

I'd probably have chosen the same degree - Microbiology and Virology. I want to go into Virology research as this is the subject area that interests me most. If getting a job wasn't an issue, I would either be in a job right now (might have a job offer soon, hopefully) or I might have gone straight into a PhD.
Physics or anthropology or to be honest any of the sciences, even economics. As long as the theory is done correctly everything can be interesting.
Reply 22
The degree I have chosen to do.
Reply 23
I would still go for Geography! Nothing else really interests me, although maybe a joint with Computer Science would be nice (quite an uncommon combination, but Glasgow offer it!)
Reply 24
Probably paper folding BSc
I would still do Biochemistry. However it'd've been nice to keep up my interest in languages too, so I'm going to say German and Latin.
History, physics, psychology, geography
Reply 27
I chose to study International Politics because I enjoyed the subject, it has been of interest to me since I was a kid. Also wanted to do Conservation as working in conservation or gamekeeping would be a dream come true, but it was a bit of a longshot.
Reply 28
Original post by rattusratus
absolutely no offense to any one studying teaching (especially with small kids or teenagers because they're bloody hard work, having kids myself I know 1 can cause havoc let alone 30) but I think teaching is most peoples back up...

those who can do, those who cant teach

...is a famous saying for a reason, my back ups back up is to become a college lecturer as well.

Definitely not true.

Because becoming a college lecturer is a walk in the park?

You sir, should never become a teacher.
I'm planning to do Psychology (focus on Neuroscience) but I would go to art school. :tongue:
something in the performing arts area or perhaps history/re and sociology. But I'm happy with Law, its pretty interesting to me and probably have higher career prospects than usual.
absolutely no offense to any one studying teaching (especially with small kids or teenagers because they're bloody hard work, having kids myself I know 1 can cause havoc let alone 30) but I think teaching is most peoples back up...

Most teachers (especially successful ones) - it was not a back up

Can or cannot do what - the phrase is nonsense
It isn't a walk in the park
That was his point

No, college lecturers do not generally have a PhD

Unless by college you actually meant University
I think I'd actually stick with medicine or something similar - I've enjoyed reading about the human body ever since I was little. Although, I do also really like languages but every time I've been formally taught them I've always hated it :K:
Reply 34
Neuroscience with Mandarin (somehow) . But my engineering degree is pretty cool too

...is a famous saying for a reason, my back ups back up is to become a college lecturer as well.

Its a famous saying because teachers need a very robust sense of humour, and thick skin, to do what they do
Original post by CM19
Definitely not true.

Because becoming a college lecturer is a walk in the park?

You sir, should never become a teacher.

nobody specified a type of teacher until I put the type I will be doing, so where is the offense here :confused:

you sir, also need to pay more attention as I am not a sir

and how is having a back up of teaching any different that if I wanted to be a pharmacist and had a backup as hematologist? or wanting to have be a veterinarian but having a back up as an public health epidemiologist?

over reactions much, its just teaching is a broad subject, well financed and easier to get into (at some levels) than many other jobs, it would be stupid not to have it as an option :rolleyes:
Reply 37
Theoretical physics or geology

Posted from TSR Mobile
nobody specified a type of teacher until I put the type I will be doing, so where is the offense here :confused:

you sir, also need to pay more attention as I am not a sir

and how is having a back up of teaching any different that if I wanted to be a pharmacist and had a backup as hematologist? or wanting to have be a veterinarian but having a back up as an public health epidemiologist?

over reactions much, its just teaching is a broad subject, well financed and easier to get into (at some levels) than many other jobs, it would be stupid not to have it as an option :rolleyes:

It's different because teaching is a very challenging and stressful job that requires a significant amount of out-of-hours work to be successful in. Given the stressful nature of it, people should only become teachers if it is something they are really set upon - it's not something you should just roll into because you've got nothing better to do. Furthermore, I don't want someone who isn't heavily interested in education to be teaching mine, or anyone else's, children.
Original post by TenOfThem
Most teachers (especially successful ones) - it was not a back up

Can or cannot do what - the phrase is nonsense

first of obviously people who did the first degree in teaching it wasnt a back up, I thought the common sense was implied :rolleyes:

and many of my teacher at school became teachers later because they failed their original ambition (some where pretty bitter about it) our music teach constantly went on about how she was 'meant' to be a classical musician, how she dedicated her life to it and got stuck teaching us (probably because she had a bad attitude problem and a sense of self entitlement that stopped her progressing anywhere)

2 of my college teachers didn't even have a degree, they dropped out of school went to work and somehow got the job off experience :confused:

but as said before EVERYONE has a back up... why take offense to someone else choice :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply