The Student Room Group

Scoring 2100+ in SAT? Anyone please help

Can anyone who has done this please advise?
Reply 1
Original post by TheIdealist
Can anyone who has done this please advise?

I scored 2170 M 750, CR 690, WR 730

Make sure you work on your essay because i thought i wrote a great essay (it was a topic i liked and i felt i wrote well was thinking of 10 or 12 lol) and i ended up with only a 8. If i had gotten a 12 i may have gotten quite possibly 800 on my Writing.

Otherwise get the 2400 SAT books, use Barrons (they are a bit tougher than the actual SAT and really useful in my opinion). Get Princeton Review as well, they say they are the same as the exam but i find them a bit easier than the real exam. Do lots of practice exams. Gauge your score. Then review each question on your practice exam, don't just do them mark them and forget them. Reviewing each question helps dramatically.

If you have more than 3 months before your exam, start reading. CR and WR are built over time, it isn't something you can rapid review. Someone who has read their entire lives will find scoring high on these sections easy. I'll also note that CR was my highest score on practice tests, but ended up being the lowest in my actual exam. I found that when i had paragraphs about topics i was interested in (science, history, war history), i scored a lot higher than if the topic was something i wasn't knowledgable or interested in (arts, poetry, flowery language). I ended up getting a lot of the latter on my actual exam which explains my drop in CR.

You can take a course if you like, i took one but i didn't find it terribly useful. I once asked my tutor (it was an online course) how i could improve on a 700 and he actually got mad at me saying: above 700 its all luck, you should be happy with what you are getting.

Clearly that tutor was quite out of touch, as getting above 700 means very little these days when top schools like the ivies have average SATs of around 750.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ukmed108
I scored 2170 M 750, CR 690, WR 730

Make sure you work on your essay because i thought i wrote a great essay (it was a topic i liked and i felt i wrote well was thinking of 10 or 12 lol) and i ended up with only a 8. If i had gotten a 12 i may have gotten quite possibly 800 on my Writing.

Otherwise get the 2400 SAT books, use Barrons (they are a bit tougher than the actual SAT and really useful in my opinion). Get Princeton Review as well, they say they are the same as the exam but i find them a bit easier than the real exam. Do lots of practice exams. Gauge your score. Then review each question on your practice exam, don't just do them mark them and forget them. Reviewing each question helps dramatically.

If you have more than 3 months before your exam, start reading. CR and WR are built over time, it isn't something you can rapid review. Someone who has read their entire lives will find scoring high on these sections easy. I'll also note that CR was my highest score on practice tests, but ended up being the lowest in my actual exam. I found that when i had paragraphs about topics i was interested in (science, history, war history), i scored a lot higher than if the topic was something i wasn't knowledgable or interested in (arts, poetry, flowery language). I ended up getting a lot of the latter on my actual exam which explains my drop in CR.

You can take a course if you like, i took one but i didn't find it terribly useful. I once asked my tutor (it was an online course) how i could improve on a 700 and he actually got mad at me saying: above 700 its all luck, you should be happy with what you are getting.

Clearly that tutor was quite out of touch, as getting above 700 means very little these days when top schools like the ivies have average SATs of around 750.

Thank you very much for the help.

Ive got my Test in November.

I did a practice test in a one of those Prep Schools in London and the section I found most difficult was the Grammar Sections.

What is the best method of attack for getting my score up i.e. Is it just best to do practice tests and review focusing on weaknesses?
Reply 3
for the writing section it is wise to make a universal template in the sense that you can have your essay practically written out before you take it. ex: The notion that _________ has any correlation with ____ is a categorical truth. something like that you can remember to start off your essay. you need to have around 10-20 examples that you can use. (10/12 on my essay) for the writing you just need to by an SAT writing book, Erica Mtzers book is an awesome tool to use. the math section is a joke, and the CR section comes down to whether you can comprehend what you read. good luck :smile:
For the essay section it's best to write as clearly as possible. You should pick a side and stick with it (waffling is not appreciated). Using advanced vocabulary (as long as it sounds natural and isn't forced!) can improve scores as can more advanced grammar (graders love semicolons).
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending