The Student Room Group

Kazakh Football Team Sacrifice Sheep

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/27/shakhter-manager-defends-sheep-sacrificing

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-v-shakhter-shocker-cops-2231760

This is a classic example of how tradition or culture is used as an excuse to terrible things.

It makes me angry how stupid and irrational people can be.

Thank God the police won't let them do it in the UK.
Reply 1
I don't think this is actually news worthy. Considering that halal slaughterhouses are still allowed to use their traditional methods.

Anyways it's just a sheep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't think this is actually news worthy. Considering that halal slaughterhouses are still allowed to use their traditional methods.

Anyways it's just a sheep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

While I disagree with the Halal method at least they eat the animal. It's not just for a game.
Reply 3
Idiots.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
x

Stupid thing to do.

The worst thing is they beat Celtic 2-0 in that match as well. That'll probably encourage them to do it again.
Reply 5
Original post by The Angry Stoic
While I disagree with the Halal method at least they eat the animal. It's not just for a game.

Neither article went in to any detail of what the ritual contained, other than killing a sheep. They may well have eaten it after.
Hmm they lost 3-0 and got knocked out of the CL.
Reply 7
Original post by IdeasForLife
Hmm they lost 3-0 and got knocked out of the CL.

So when they sacrifice the sheep they win 2-0, and when they don't they lose 3-0? :holmes:
Original post by Mechie
So when they sacrifice the sheep they win 2-0, and when they don't they lose 3-0? :holmes:

That seems to be the case :tongue:

I can imagine their coach will probably put the blame towards the sheep during the post match press conference lol
Kazakhstan is one of those countries that is just one big step behind the rest of the world, culturally and socially. It's in the dark ages, basically. Borat was actually worryingly accurate ( though I don't remember him sacrificing any sheep :P )

-JonNgog
Reply 10
Original post by JonNgog
Kazakhstan is one of those countries that is just one big step behind the rest of the world, culturally and socially. It's in the dark ages, basically. Borat was actually worryingly accurate ( though I don't remember him sacrificing any sheep :P )

-JonNgog

Yeah these countries do still seem to retain their weird and barbaric traditions, like in nearby Kyrgyzstan where the tradition of bride kidnapping is still widely practiced, where girls are kidnapped and basically blackmailed into marrying the guy:eek:
Reply 11
Kazakhstan is nothing like in that Borat movie, most don't look anything like that they're more like Mongolians though some are slavs
Original post by Mechie

I searched for this thread to specifically post what you already have posted..

Fair play sir!
Reply 13
i don't see what's wrong with killing a sheep and eating it?
Original post by smd4std
i don't see what's wrong with killing a sheep and eating it?

Seemed they were just doing it to psych themselves up before a game though; is that really worth the life of an animal? Maybe the club do eat the animal afterwards though - the news article did not specify.
Reply 15
Original post by OedipusTheKing
Seemed they were just doing it to psych themselves up before a game though; is that really worth the life of an animal? Maybe the club do eat the animal afterwards though - the news article did not specify.

in most muslim cultures animals are sacrificed in celebration and then eaten.

i don't think it was some sort of satanic ritual or anything lol, this really isn't news/discussion worthy
Forget it , look what I found in the first link .

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2013/aug/24/robyn-lawley-supermodel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending