The Student Room Group

Screwing your A2s

Im really worried cos I messed up on 2 Maths exams which basically means I cant get the A that I wanted but it is only these 2 in which Ive messed up.Does anyone know if I could retake these next year and keep the grades in my other exams or do I lose them.I dont mind taking a gap year if it means I can get the A in Maths.Is there any reassurance of this backup option cos Im seriously stressing about it.Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think you can just decline the grade in the maths and keep your other subjects. however you'll need to contact your exam officer as otherwise you will cash in your grades and then you can't retake.
Reply 2
You can decertificate and retake any modules you like. There is no limit on how many times you can retake your A2's.
Reply 3
there is a limit to how many retakes a prospective university will accept of course.
Reply 4
Of course there is. If you do too many then it becomes suspicious. If you had a bad day on that exam then uni's wont mind you retaking.
Reply 5
indeed. context is always a key word. i wouldnt worry, just work your ass off for your resits.
Reply 6
I want an A so bad cos I wanted to reapply to uni next year as I got rejected from Bristol which is what I wanted the most and tht was cos of my lower predicted grades.Ive got ok scores in 3 of my maths units and one of the units I took last week went ok, but the other 2 were bad.What you were saying that there is no limit to retaking, but if i retake will that mean I lose my marks in the 4 units i did ok in.Cos if retakin means I have to do all of them again then im not sure i could do that or that i would do better.So really what Im trying to say is if i choose to retake maths next year can i keep good scores that ive already achieved.Cheers
Reply 7
yes if you don't cash in your grade and you retake you keep all your other module grades and only keep the new mark if its an improvement on the first time you took it.
Reply 8
Also say i got a better grade 2nd time round would the certificate say next to my grade (retake) or something to specify that it wasnt achieved first time around.And do any of you think that it might be a good idea to retake, as a lot of people have told me its going to be a lot harder and also that i shouldnt worry too much cos my current uni choice is leicester which is still good.Dunno what any of you might think.
Reply 9
i wouldnt be so pessimistic though, you may have done fine. in which case there is no need to retake. if i were you id stop this pontification on the uncertain and look forward to summer !
Reply 10
I just read somewhere on the edexcel website that retakes can only be taken within the 'shelf life' of the specification, which i guess is when you have taken an exam in all units, when grades must be cashed in
Reply 11
No i definitely know i havent, my m2 score is 48 or something and i didnt do much better in my re-sit, which makes no sense cos i worked my butt off for it, then c4 this week was a disaster seein as all my friends did the questions completely different and got them right.I wanna look foward to the summer I just need reassurance on this issue to make me relaxed. Sorry if i appear extremely anxious its just i dont wna have the feeling of regret during the summer.
Reply 12
no i would say shelf life of specification means whilst the specification is still in use, they change the spec some time and therefore you must retake whilst the spec you did is still being used.
Reply 13
i know an edexcel principle examiner for music tech, and i had the same query incase i had to retake a music tech module. basically, it means as long as the subject is still available in a broadly similar form. so in English Lit, if the text you are studying has gone off the specification you obviously cant resit it. but if its maths, the areas of study are pretty similar. youd probably just have to learn the new bits they've added. thats what the shelf life of the specification means, maintaining similar questions and the same areas of study.
Reply 14
alispam
no i would say shelf life of specification means whilst the specification is still in use, they change the spec some time and therefore you must retake whilst the spec you did is still being used.

you cant do this as the spec changes EVERY YEAR, look at my explanation of shelf life above.
Reply 15
not quite every year for some subjects....the maths spec is the same (for edexcel) each year since they changed from pure to core units. all the specs for my other subjects bio, chem and hist are the same each year they occassionally alter mark scheme points but not the whole spec.
Reply 16
yeah, but subtley they change every year. on the main they are the same, but every year has a fresh spec usually with a couple of bits changed. shelf life only really applies to subjects with specific close focus of texts such as English lit because they have to shuffle them around, in music tech its the close focus of pieces of music and they change them every year. but yeah, your right about them being the same in the main, thats why i said earlier that he probably would have to learn a few new things but overall it would be the same areas of study within maths.
Reply 17
Cheers for your help, just been getting so worried and I pray that it doesnt come to that.Although it did really go badly
Reply 18
im worried about if they mark one of my papers badly wrong...in january some people in my school had some papers graded at Ds, only to be re-marked up to Bs or even As, simply because the marker couldnt add up! Bit scary if that happens now!
I currently have a certificated AS level for politics <B>. The Edexcel specification is exactly the same as it was in 2005. Is it possible for me to pick and choose modules from this certificated AS Level if I un-cash it and combine them with a grade I sit in January 2007.

Unit One (80)
Unit Two (74)
Unit Three (68)

Can I Retake Unit Three in 2007 and then combine them all up to form a new AS grade?

I am aware that it is relatively easy to switch exam boards for subjects is it possible to carry across certain AS modules form Edexcel English 2005 to a AQA AS 2007.
Currently I am in a position to do AQA A2 English with Edexcel AS English cashed in and certificated. If I un- cash the AS level can I take say two moduels from AQA English and combine them with one module of Edexcel English to form a new AS grade.

Latest

Trending

Trending