The Student Room Group

Foundation year or re-applying next year?

I'm in a bit of a situation... Originally i had Kings (AAA) as my firm and Queen Mary (AAB) as my insurance both to study Mathematics. I was on track to meeting my requirements for my firm (Got my A in maths in jan). However during my the summer examination period, my gran passed away. She was really close to me and as you can imagine i was affected by it. I received my A level results and i got ACD in Maths, Economics and Further maths respectively. Going through clearing, the best option i ended up with was a place on a Mathematical Science foundation programme at Queen Mary which will lead me onto the Maths degree starting next year. I'm not too sure whether this is the right thing to do. I could go for this or i could take a gap year and resit a couple of modules and re-apply to Kings and other uni's the next year? If i were to resit i know i can do better as the circumstances really affected me.

I've been told that i'd have to re-apply through UCAS again. They'd look at my predictions. With my ACD what would i be predicted?... Kings ask for A*AA for maths (2014 entry).. I'd have to redo quite a few modules.. I'm so confused.

I wanna pursue a well paid career in finance. Is there any sense in doing both the foundation year at Queen Mary whilst redoing some a level modules to get at least an ABB? (Most financial institutions require a minimum of 320 UCAS points over 3 a levels)..

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoheb
I'm in a bit of a situation... Originally i had Kings (AAA) as my firm and Queen Mary (AAB) as my insurance both to study Mathematics. I was on track to meeting my requirements for my firm (Got my A in maths in jan). However during my the summer examination period, my gran passed away. She was really close to me and as you can imagine i was affected by it. I received my A level results and i got ACD in Maths, Economics and Further maths respectively. Going through clearing, the best option i ended up with was a place on a Mathematical Science foundation programme at Queen Mary which will lead me onto the Maths degree starting next year. I'm not too sure whether this is the right thing to do. I could go for this or i could take a gap year and resit a couple of modules and re-apply to Kings and other uni's the next year? If i were to resit i know i can do better as the circumstances really affected me.

I've been told that i'd have to re-apply through UCAS again. They'd look at my predictions. With my ACD what would i be predicted?... Kings ask for A*AA for maths (2014 entry).. I'd have to redo quite a few modules.. I'm so confused.

I wanna pursue a well paid career in finance. Is there any sense in doing both the foundation year at Queen Mary whilst redoing some a level modules to get at least an ABB? (Most financial institutions require a minimum of 320 UCAS points over 3 a levels)..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities have to be able to trust in your predicted grades and that's quite a stretch. Teachers have to justify their predictions in the reference and it might be difficult to do that. In addition, universities tend not to like gap years for maths as you get rusty. I'd be inclined to take the foundation year. When you top it up to the normal degree, it'll be just the same as anyone else's.
Reply 2
What about the idea of doing the foundation year alongside some a level resits? &if i wanted to transfer after the foundation year. How would i do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
To be honest I would say do the foundation year in maths, and if you can and are willing to put your head down do the A-levels externally.. it will require a lot of work but im sure you'll manage... Also at the same time you could re-apply to Kings College through UCAS and tell the about the foundation year?
Reply 4
Original post by dobby101
To be honest I would say do the foundation year in maths, and if you can and are willing to put your head down do the A-levels externally.. it will require a lot of work but im sure you'll manage... Also at the same time you could re-apply to Kings College through UCAS and tell the about the foundation year?

Wouldn't that be expensive in the long run as i'd have to pay full tuition fees for the foundation year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If your worried about money issues, then i'd re-do my A-levels if I were you. Or cant you let your university know about yur circumstances, cuz im sure they'll understand and will be willing to give you a place? Re-doing your a-level modules will be better in the long run in the sense that you will gain more UCAS points (providing you do well in yur A-levels)
Reply 6
That is exactly what i say thinking. I mean, it would be nice to start now with everybody else but at the end of the day i'd wanna do the right thing in terms of having better prospects in life..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I was in a similar situation, And doing a foundation year for Computer Science and start in a few weeks.

I know what your thinking, a foundation year goes down as a negative straight away in your eyes. But it really shouldnt, an extra year to make you better and to know what to expect at university will only be a positive.

Yes you will have a bit more debt but you will still be paying the same amount off when you finish anyway, still the same lump sum out of your pay check.

The choice is really up to you. And what you want to do, but whatever you do make sure its the right choice for you.
Reply 8
Original post by Zoheb

Posted from TSR Mobile

My best advice to you is this, there is a course at Birkbeck University called certificate of higher education, for maths and they have further maths and its a level 4 programme which is a like a first year undergraduate programme, you start in october and ends in June, institutions like UCL and Kings College like this course at Birkbeck and many people gain offers from them as Birkbeck is part of University of London, the Certificate is like an access but an access is a level 3 while this course is a level 4 and for you it should be very easy as you completed A level Maths, if you get a distinciton (70%) you should get offers from high ranked institutions, thats what my friends did too and now went to study at UCL and Kings!
Reply 9
Original post by otrivine
My best advice to you is this, there is a course at Birkbeck University called certificate of higher education, for maths and they have further maths and its a level 4 programme which is a like a first year undergraduate programme, you start in october and ends in June, institutions like UCL and Kings College like this course at Birkbeck and many people gain offers from them as Birkbeck is part of University of London, the Certificate is like an access but an access is a level 3 while this course is a level 4 and for you it should be very easy as you completed A level Maths, if you get a distinciton (70%) you should get offers from high ranked institutions, thats what my friends did too and now went to study at UCL and Kings!

I just checked this and i'm too late. Ahhh doesn't look good for me! Thank you for suggestion :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zoheb
I just checked this and i'm too late. Ahhh doesn't look good for me! Thank you for suggestion :smile:

No, its not give them a call, I applied at this time last year and got accepted.
Reply 11
Original post by otrivine
No, its not give them a call, I applied at this time last year and got accepted.

Alright will do.. If you don't mind me asking how was the course for you? Also, assuming that you have completed this course, what are you going to do now? :smile:
i did the birkbeck course certificate of higher education in mathematical studies and i got into kings for mathematics.

How ever you need like 80 percent and above overall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending