The Student Room Group

2014 Pharmacy applicants

Hey guys. Decided to start a forum for people thinking about applying for pharmacy for 2014 entry. We can talk about personal statements, grades, school life, general topics and help each other out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatsherry
Hey guys. Decided to start a forum for people thinking about applying for pharmacy for 2014 entry. We can talk about personal statements, grades, school life, general topics and help each other out.

Sounds good, DO you know how uni's react to third year students?
Reply 2
where are you lot planning on applying? have you been to any open days yet? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by propagation

I'm not sure about it. Top unis might not be as lenient I think

Reply 4
Original post by hd37
where are you lot planning on applying? have you been to any open days yet? :smile:

No, not yet. I'm thinking of going to Manchester and UEA open days

Snap! I'm a potential pharmacy applicant and was wondering the exact same thing as I'm looking to send off my applications next year in my third year of college. Any suggestions here would be brilliant. Cheers
Hey guys. I'm a potential pharmacy applicant too for 2014 entry. Discussions here would be useful for everyone. Where are you guys thinking of applying to? I'm still visiting open days so I haven't decided on my 5 choices yet.
Original post by spanishovenfork
Snap! I'm a potential pharmacy applicant and was wondering the exact same thing as I'm looking to send off my applications next year in my third year of college. Any suggestions here would be brilliant. Cheers

What are you doing next year?

I am only going to consider pharmacy if I get the grades I specify otherwise I will look elsewhere at a different subject.
What are you doing next year?

I am only going to consider pharmacy if I get the grades I specify otherwise I will look elsewhere at a different subject.

Well this year I did 1 A2 and 3 AS subjects. Next year, I'm looking to drop the A2 subject (as I would have finished it) and take on the 3 AS subjects to A2 level next year. How about yourself - what's your situation like?
Well this year I did 1 A2 and 3 AS subjects. Next year, I'm looking to drop the A2 subject (as I would have finished it) and take on the 3 AS subjects to A2 level next year. How about yourself - what's your situation like?

I did 2 A2 Subjects and 1 AS. And I will be retaking some of the units of the A2.

I will carry on the AS to A2 with a fast-track A-level in one subject
Reply 10
What subjects are you guys doing? I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. I'm thinking of dropping physics. I really don't like it. I'm not taking biology though, I think I might be at a disadvantage when applying in September :frown:

Original post by fatsherry
What subjects are you guys doing? I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. I'm thinking of dropping physics. I really don't like it. I'm not taking biology though, I think I might be at a disadvantage when applying in September :frown:

I'm taking Chemistry, Maths, Accounting and Psychology :smile: I was thinking the exact same thing about Biology.... is it worth doing AS Biology next year? Any opinions anyone? Cheers
Is maths important as I picked Bio Instead :/
Reply 13
I'm taking Chemistry, Maths, Accounting and Psychology :smile: I was thinking the exact same thing about Biology.... is it worth doing AS Biology next year? Any opinions anyone? Cheers

Yes most definitely take up AS, they are much more likely to consider you if you have atleast some experience :smile:
Original post by hd37
Yes most definitely take up AS, they are much more likely to consider you if you have atleast some experience :smile:

Ok thank you for the advice. I will probably just wait till my results come through and see how I do - and possibly drop the one I do worst in and pick up AS Biology

Cheers
Reply 15
I was thinking about picking up AS in biology for next year but I've been advised that it will be very difficult for me with my other A2 subjects.

Reply 16
people ive been wrecking my brains out on whether or not to do pharmacy..

From what i know, and im sure alot of other potential pharmacists/applicants to pharmacy, is that graduate jobs are really difficult to get/come by. I dont mean to put anyone off but from my own research i feel the field is getting more and more saturated and job opportunities as well as pay and working conditions are diminishing and fast..

just by looking at jobs.co.uk i could already see medicine/healthcare/science jobs were way less in number than IT and communications..

i dont really know what im getting at here with this post but im stuck in deciding between the two. on one hand i love computers (i mean programming/computing not the usual IT stuff that almost anyone who can read can do) and the other is my asian family pressure of pharmacy as ive already declined dentist or doctor purely because im not that smart enough grades wise lol...

someone help me :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by a.jiwa

From what i know, and im sure alot of other potential pharmacists/applicants to pharmacy, is that graduate jobs are really difficult to get/come by. I dont mean to put anyone off but from my own research i feel the field is getting more and more saturated and job opportunities as well as pay and working conditions are diminishing and fast..

just by looking at jobs.co.uk i could already see medicine/healthcare/science jobs were way less in number than IT and communications..

i dont really know what im getting at here with this post but im stuck in deciding between the two. on one hand i love computers (i mean programming/computing not the usual IT stuff that almost anyone who can read can do) and the other is my asian family pressure of pharmacy as ive already declined dentist or doctor purely because im not that smart enough grades wise lol...

Don't study anything anyone tells you to study, study what you are interested in.
Original post by a.jiwa

It's your future, you do something you are interested in, not something which gives you prestige. You may be more successful with doing something you like (like I.T.) than Pharmacy. Only do what interests you, it's different if your parents are pressuring you to do something and you actually like the stuff. E.g. If you really like Chemistry Pharamacy is for you. At the end of the day it will be you studying and doing the work and not your parents and you would not want to do something later on in life and regret it. If I was in your position I would go for computing :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by a.jiwa

At the end of the day, you will be the person stuck doing a job you don't like, not your parents. So go with your heart and do something you love as you don't want to spend the rest of your life regretting your choices. It's true that graduate jobs are getting difficult but it's the same for any other jobs out there to be fair, so just go with whatever pleases you. Hope this helps a bit

Quick Reply

Latest