The Student Room Group

Police warning over myth that dialling 999 charges mobile phone battery.

Just read this online:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dialling-999-not-charge-mobile-2234973

'Mobile users have been urged to ignore an urban myth that claims dialling 999 charges their phone's battery.

Derbyshire Police said they'd received several emergency calls that turned out to be from people believing their phone would be charged.'

I am gobsmacked :confused:
Reply 1
Who...who would believe that?!

Stories like this are just a massive facepalm.
lol, either the people who do it are completely brainless or there is a master troll at work the likes of which are never seen here on TSR
Reply 3
They're too stupid to own phones. Should have them confiscated as penance.
I suppose their lack of common sense could have reached emergency levels...
Reply 5
Interesting idea though, if inductive charging were commonplace and could be set up everywhere it could be possible to have phones which will always be able to call 999.
Reply 6
How dumb you have to be to actually believe in such things? :hmmm:
Oh wow...
I can't believe that people would think that was true!
Reply 8
it worked on my iphone. when the battery hits 13% if you call 999 it charges it back up to 50%

not really.
Anyone that actually falls for it should have their mobile phone confiscated and their contract immediately terminated.

-JonNgog
Yeah, I used to work in a gadget/phone shop so people's gullibility when it comes to technology really doesn't surprise me.
Reply 11
I'm going to ring 999 to see if this is true or not for myself. Could just be police lying to be people...

EDIT:

OMG you'll never believe me but this actually works, I was skeptical too but there's my iphone and it's fully charged.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
they don't want anyone to know about this phone charging trick because the police get annoyed when people call them. it actually works...
No, it worked to some extent but, it didnt charge the battery.

With blackberries before the phone dies it cuts off the network, dialling 999 restores the connections temporarily, allowing you a small period to send a text or bbm etc.

The whole battery charge things a myth but dialling 999 does work on blackberries that block the network before the phone dies.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
They're too stupid to own phones. Should have them confiscated as penance.

Original post by alexmagpie
I suppose their lack of common sense could have reached emergency levels...

This thread has over 500,000 views on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/8-evKtoPN-8?t=20s
Wow, ****ing hell.... some people...
Reply 16
WTF?

Quick Reply

Latest