The Student Room Group

Should I do AS music or product design

In my GCSEs I got an A in music and an A* in product design but I just don't know which one to do at AS? I love music however I found it hard at GCSE and had to do a lot of revision! Whereas product design was okay otherthan the masses of coursework! I want to go into a business career and my other A levels are maths, economics and English literature - should I do music or product design?:smile:
At the end of the day it's your choice but I'll see if I can help! I got an A at GCSE music and got Cs in my AS coursework but an E in the exam so overall a D. Music is hard but it has helped me to settle in as I had to move school for 6th form due to all the clubs! AS music is similar to GCSE but you have to write essays (I found this hard). For performing you need to be grade 5 at a minimum (I was grade 7). One downside to music is that it takes up a lot of time (I spent an hour each week extra to lessons for composing). The class sizes tend to be small (there were 2 of us). I don't know much about product design but my friend who also does music enjoys it! Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you very much! Did you find that the composition mark scheme and performing mark scheme were quite hard if you got lower marks than at GCSE? & is the exam still learning about set works?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Don't do Product Design, it's horrible at A Level. I got a B at GCSE and me my entire class just got U's at AS. The exam is solid, I think you need about 75% just to get a C and the coursework is deep and harshly marked by the exam board.
Reply 4
Original post by JB TSR
Don't do Product Design, it's horrible at A Level. I got a B at GCSE and me my entire class just got U's at AS. The exam is solid, I think you need about 75% just to get a C and the coursework is deep and harshly marked by the exam board.

Really? I've never heard of anything like that about product design before! Thank you for your help! What other AS did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma321
Thank you very much! Did you find that the composition mark scheme and performing mark scheme were quite hard if you got lower marks than at GCSE? & is the exam still learning about set works?

The performing and composition mark schemes are harder for example you need a good knowledge of music theory. Half the exam is listening and half is set works for AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest