The Student Room Group

Very Bad AS results = no uni?

Just had a thought.

I got DEE in chemistry biology maths in AS but I believe with hard work this time I believe I will get BBB at least after 6 resits and A2 exams (made time table and so much organisation on Google drive).

The thing is that Uni will base your consideration on your AS results and when they look at mine they won't consider me (assuming you need BBB for my course) because of my poor AS results? Assume I will get BBB at A level

Because my AS results are so poor I wont be able to receive an offer so i cant go through adjustment?

so say I got BBB at A level from EEE at AS i wont get into uni because EEE at AS is too bad to get an offer...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Blade
Just had a thought.

I got DEE in chemistry biology maths in AS but I believe with hard work this time I believe I will get BBB at least after 6 resits and A2 exams (made time table and so much organisation on Google drive).

The thing is that Uni will base your consideration on your AS results and when they look at mine they won't consider me (assuming you need BBB for my course) because of my poor AS results? Assume I will get BBB at A level

Because my AS results are so poor I wont be able to receive an offer so i cant go through adjustment?

so say I got BBB at A level from EEE at AS i wont get into uni because EEE at AS is too bad to get an offer...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Won't they also look at your predicted grades for A Level too?
Reply 2
Original post by MangaDreams
Won't they also look at your predicted grades for A Level too?

Yes but with DEE, its extremely unlikely for the university as AS is much easier than A2. Also predictions are usually taken with a bit of pinch of salt, as they know teachers can be fairly lenient on them. Eyebrows would definetly be raised for a DEE student to get predicted 2/3 bands higher to a BBB.

Chances are you will go through clearing, unless you wish to apply to those 'lower' universities and go through adjustment. I would quickly check the ucas website on your course, looking around at the current clearing to get some sort of an idea on the quantities/qualities (does NOT mean to say these universities will be in clearing next year).
Reply 3
Original post by The_Blade
Just had a thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got rubbish grades for AS and planning to retake ontop of A2, could you show me your timetable?
Reply 4
I got BCDE at AS and ended up with ABBe at A2 and got into uni.

You can do it; just revise harder. Shiz gets real after your first year of college.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by prettyugly
I got rubbish grades for AS and planning to retake ontop of A2, could you show me your timetable?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't choose a uni with too high entry grades and ask your tutors for a predicted grade for next year (which is better than DEE) and make yourself STAND OUT on your personal statement :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Think I'll go through clearing as no one will maker me an offer so probably won't apply when most people do. Is it wrong to think that the rubbish universities will be in clearing? Hoping to do biomedical or somewhere in that field

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SQ918
I got BCDE at AS and ended up with ABBe at A2 and got into uni.

You can do it; just revise harder. Shiz gets real after your first year of college.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABCde, but the rest of post I definitely agree with :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I got ABCde, but the rest of post I definitely agree with :smile:

I pushed myself to revise more. Only did two retakes and my A2 exam results were mostly full marks which pushed my grades up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Have you considered repeating the year and changing your subjects?
Reply 11
Im in pretty much the same situation ( CEE) with BDD predictions lol we suck so hard. Dont even know why I bothered going on with A2.
Reply 12
Are all retakes in the summer now? It's possible but was easier when there were winter retakes as this means you're going to have loads of exams in the summer at once. Any reason for poor exam results? But I would say yes as long as you work hard although your timetable does look very hard work so you need to be really motivated and focused! Good luck!
Original post by SQ918
I pushed myself to revise more. Only did two retakes and my A2 exam results were mostly full marks which pushed my grades up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really revise for AS, for A2 I did and got an A in every retake but biology, in which I got a high B, but I did 3 retakes and 2 coursework/EMPA resits :colondollar:
Reply 14
I didn't really revise for AS, for A2 I did and got an A in every retake but biology, in which I got a high B, but I did 3 retakes and 2 coursework/EMPA resits :colondollar:

I didn't revise for AS either, it was pretty chilled year for me as I had a lot of time off :L I got an E in AS Politics but only because I've only been to 5 lectures per term and my lecturer enjoys going off topic. I found A2 a little bit easier, revised more and when I mean more; not as much as most would do. I literally just write things down and read them and sat the exam and got better grades than expected xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
It shouldn't be a problem if you can get the predicted BBB grades from your teachers. Getting the grades will be hard work though, seeing as they scrapped the January exams.
Original post by SQ918
I didn't revise for AS either, it was pretty chilled year for me as I had a lot of time off :L I got an E in AS Politics but only because I've only been to 5 lectures per term and my lecturer enjoys going off topic. I found A2 a little bit easier, revised more and when I mean more; not as much as most would do. I literally just write things down and read them and sat the exam and got better grades than expected xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same to be honest, I wanted A's, but I swear it's easier second time round... :biggrin: A lot of times my teachers would give me work I could quite easily do at home so my attendance was about 50 % by the end of the year :redface:

cod gamer :smile:

which one xx
Reply 18
Same to be honest, I wanted A's, but I swear it's easier second time round... :biggrin: A lot of times my teachers would give me work I could quite easily do at home so my attendance was about 50 % by the end of the year :redface:

I was bothered and half not bothered about my grades :L but I got an offer at uni or my firm. My attendance was below 50% too and stopped going to college in March 2012 and just went in for exams xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to get into uni, I would advise applying during a gap year, with grades in hand. Unis likely won't believe that you can get BBB from those AS grades but if you apply when you already have BBB you'll be far more likely to get offers.

Quick Reply

Latest