The Student Room Group

Very Bad AS results = no uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by GoredGuar
Apply during gap year with your final results, and resit your AS. That's what I had to do with Maths. If you try hard, it's possible, but it might be hell. But just think of your future hinging on the results, and use that as motivation.

That's what I do. My Asian dad says I will have to move out at 18 because I 'failed in life'. Also I went gym like 2hrs yesterday and he had a massive massive massive go at me for spending too long in gym when I spending so much more time studying accord to my timetable. My frees at
college are not included in my timetable but I use it for revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
What did you get in A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ABCe in Geology, Geography and Biology, only got a C in Biology because I got a C in unit 5 and a U in the EMPA, but I have B's in every thing else :smile:
I was originally going to do Geology, but I don't find it interesting, so I just Biomed, and I don't have the subject/work ethic/ possibly brains to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths at A level :colondollar:
Original post by SQ918
Prepare your liver and to live on just toast! It's very likely you'll spend your money mostly on alcohol :P And maybe to lose your dignity :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for the advise! hahahaha, I have given my liver a month long break, and I haven't really been properly drunk for about a year :tongue: So hopefully my liver is ready for full-time work after it's lengthy holiday :colone:
I would advise you to apply to unis that don't have high grade boundaries and work 10x harder in A2. If you get declined from uni or don't get in for whatever reason. I would say take a gap year.

Honestly, I know so many people (me included) that didn't do well in AS but worked really hard in A2 and retook their exams and did really well.
Reply 44
You're definitely not in an ideal situation, but I wouldn't say that you've absconded every chance you ever had of getting into university. It's generally accepted that AS levels are a big step up from increasingly easy GCSE's and definitely in my first year of sixth form I experienced this. Having achieved mostly A*s and As at GCSE I was shocked to find that the grades I was getting handed back didn't exceed B. When the first exams came around in January my performance was average at best. This was sort of repeated in the summer, ultimately however I re-took in January and improved my standing significantly.

In September 2010 I had a discussion with the head of sixth form regarding grade predictions, on the condition I re-sat my english paper she agreed to give me the AAA that I needed to get into all my universities of choice. This I did and in the summer of 2011 I left with A*AA.

My As-level grades were a good lot higher than yours, but the point of my story is relevant; predicted grades are conservative and, with a good lot of hard work you can achieve reasonable grades still. Personally, I would arrange to see your head of sixth form and ask to discuss your situation- requesting that you are predicted the grades you need to enter courses you're interested in (pending January re-sits) or, alternatively, that you re-sit the first year and hopefully get higher grades which allow you to enter university. Now that fees have been hiked up to £9,000 there certainly isn't the pressure to enter university this coming year as there was when I was applying.

As an end note, it's worth thinking as to why you got the grades you did, as this might strengthen any case you present to the sixth form. Did you experience some kind of bereavement or personal tragedy, was the transition to sixth form difficult? Or perhaps you now realise that you should of worked a lot harder than you did this time last year and being wiser you wish to put old wrongs right.
Reply 45
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Cheers for the advise! hahahaha, I have given my liver a month long break, and I haven't really been properly drunk for about a year :tongue: So hopefully my liver is ready for full-time work after it's lengthy holiday :colone:

I've been sober since July anyways and I'm preparing my liver for when I go back after next week! :P
Last year I remember getting drunk most days for the first 3 weeks at uni :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SQ918
I've been sober since July anyways and I'm preparing my liver for when I go back after next week! :P
Last year I remember getting drunk most days for the first 3 weeks at uni :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to give the guy a break :smile:
You hero, were you not hanging like a bitch ?
one option here is a gap year and applying in your gap year with your final A level results
The absolute highest you should be predicted is CCC and this is really a push. Above this and unis probably won't take predictions seriously (even DEE=> CCC is quite a stretch)
I didn't really revise for AS, for A2 I did and got an A in every retake but biology, in which I got a high B, but I did 3 retakes and 2 coursework/EMPA resits :colondollar:

did you get after only one retake for each exam? and i'm guessing you did them in january? :'( why couldn't they have it for one more year!!!!!!!!!
Original post by prettyugly
did you get after only one retake for each exam? and i'm guessing you did them in january? :'( why couldn't they have it for one more year!!!!!!!!!

I did a retake for biology Unit 2 in January then the rest in summer :smile:
Reply 51
I got ACDD in AS, didn't apply for uni in September, then applied to Uni of Leeds on my A2 results day and got in.
I did a retake for biology Unit 2 in January then the rest in summer :smile:

wow well done for that! i'll probably have 3 resits on top of A2 and might retake a piece of coursework if allowed..
DREADING IT :frown:
Original post by prettyugly
wow well done for that! i'll probably have 3 resits on top of A2 and might retake a piece of coursework if allowed..
DREADING IT :frown:

I shall list the exams I did in summer (and coursework/EMPA):
Geography:
G2 (retake)
G4
Geology:
GL1 (retake)
GL2 (retake)
GL4
GL5
GL6
Biology:
Unit 3 EMPA (retake)
Unit 5
Unit 6

It's honestly fine, just revise smart :smile:
I you want i'll do another one with my grades if you want inspiration, I just don't want to sound like a dick boasting :colondollar: Not that I can boast, but it may just come off like that :s-smilie:
Work Hard; Succeed
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Good to give the guy a break :smile:
You hero, were you not hanging like a bitch ?

Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. The times I did were the times I had Sambuca shots and when I got the Fresher's Flu :L
Original post by SQ918
Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. The times I did were the times I had Sambuca shots and when I got the Fresher's Flu :L

Sambuca is pretty nice, I guess i'll come to terms with the drinks that give me hangovers and those that don't :redface: What is this freshers flu you speak of ? :s-smilie:
Geography:
G2 (retake)
G4
Geology:
GL1 (retake)
GL2 (retake)
GL4
GL5
GL6
Biology:
Unit 3 EMPA (retake)
Unit 5
Unit 6

I you want i'll do another one with my grades if you want inspiration, I just don't want to sound like a dick boasting :colondollar: Not that I can boast, but it may just come off like that :s-smilie:
Work Hard; Succeed

**** that is amazing and yeahhhhhhhhh please :P alevels are hard boasting should be ok haha
Geography:
G2 (retake) A 80/100
G4 A 64/80
Geology:
GL1 (retake) A 91/105
GL2 (retake) A 72/90
GL4 B 77/105
GL5 A 95/105
GL6 B 71/105
Biology:
Unit 3 EMPA (retake) B 46/60
Unit 5 C 91/140
Unit 6 U 17/60

Work Hard; Succeed

There you go :smile: and thank you
There you go :smile: and thank you

wow just wow :O well done..i'm definitely more inspired and motivated thanks for sharing!
What course are you doing at uni? :-)
retake AS bro.

Quick Reply

Latest