The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by nPuppy
Take it from a 'southerner': one of the best accents a girl can have.

N'aww thanks:hoppy:
Original post by Katie97

Mancs are okay it's brummy, leeds, sheffild and last and certainly least liverpool accents that just do my head in.
Reply 22
Original post by Drewski
Nah, could be done. Like Germany used to be. London's already split north/south by the river, so that'd do.

And then draw a line between Liverpool and Norwich. Iron curtain mk2. Job done!

Liverpool to Norwich?!
I saw the daily fail had an article with a line from bristol to nottingham which makes more sense. The east midlands are more southern than northern, and the west midlands are more northern than southern.

I remember having a discussion with a friend from the south about splitting. I think we agreed that I (as king of the north) would be allowed the Isle of Wight in exchange for Durham. I decided that the Republic of the North (despite having me as king) would become an economic powerhouse, and would feed Europe.
Reply 23
Original post by Manitude
Liverpool to Norwich?!
I saw the daily fail had an article with a line from bristol to nottingham which makes more sense. The east midlands are more southern than northern, and the west midlands are more northern than southern.

I remember having a discussion with a friend from the south about splitting. I think we agreed that I (as king of the north) would be allowed the Isle of Wight in exchange for Durham. I decided that the Republic of the North (despite having me as king) would become an economic powerhouse, and would feed Europe.

The North does not want Birmingham :colonhash:

Stafford-Grantham-Boston-The Wash. That'll be acceptable as a divide.
Why stop at north and south? Let's turn the clock back to the early middle ages.

map25_britain.gif
Reply 25
No, we don't need another third world country
Reply 26
Original post by Drewski
The North does not want Birmingham :colonhash:

Stafford-Grantham-Boston-The Wash. That'll be acceptable as a divide.

Oh I know we don't want it, but it's more about getting more money into the Northern economy. I figure Manchester would be the capital city.

Stafford to the wash could work I suppose, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Oh I know we don't want it, but it's more about getting more money into the Northern economy. I figure Manchester would be the capital city.

Stafford to the wash could work I suppose, though.

Nah, we'll have a Netherlands thing going on.

Manchester will be our Amsterdam, York will be our Den Haag. York has twice been the capital of the entire country, it's only fitting it be restored to it's rightful position :fuhrer:
Electrify the M25 to keep everyone else out. Sorted!
I would welcome the idea as the two have very different accents and different style of living.

In addition the border will help to counter illegal immigration across the country :smile:

The south of England has always been considered the best for a host of reasons.

Original post by Katie97

Speak English properly I know you are 16 odd but that is no excuse.
Original post by tomov
No, we don't need another third world country

I guess you mean the north, yes they are quite poor up there but at least it would not be the southerners (our) problem.
Reply 30
Original post by Drewski
Nah, we'll have a Netherlands thing going on.

Manchester will be our Amsterdam, York will be our Den Haag. York has twice been the capital of the entire country, it's only fitting it be restored to it's rightful position :fuhrer:

I'd rather Yorkshire devolved than have York ruling over Lancaster!
Reply 31
I'd rather Yorkshire devolved than have York ruling over Lancaster!

Pfft, you had the Roses. That was your go. Now it's our turn.
Reply 32
Original post by Drewski
Pfft, you had the Roses. That was your go. Now it's our turn.

The Wars of the Roses were won by the Welsh, Henry VII was fighting under a Welsh standard* with Rhys ap Thomas at Bosworth. He wasn't fighting in the name of Lancaster.

*after having travelled through Wales telling everyone he's Welsh to get their support.
Reply 33
The Wars of the Roses were won by the Welsh, Henry VII was fighting under a Welsh standard with Rhys ap Thomas at Bosworth. He wasn't fighting in the name of Lancaster.

It's still a Red rose that represents the country. It still burns! :tongue:
Original post by alexmagpie
Personally I've always advocated Scotland taking the North with it when it gets independence.

But in reality, it would probably be catastrophic.

Despite the fact that virtually all northerners identify themselves as English and have no interest in being forced to become citizens of another country?
Reply 35
Original post by Drewski
It's still a Red rose that represents the country. It still burns! :tongue:

IIRC the Tudor rose was used after Bosworth. The idea being that it would end the feud, Henry VII also married Richard III's niece to help with that.
Original post by michaelhaych
Despite the fact that virtually all northerners identify themselves as English and have no interest in being forced to become citizens of another country?

I was joking, I wouldn't actually support that.

Although sometimes as a Northerner I do feel I have more in common with Glasweigans than Londoners.
Have the lannisters Camerons crew and the king of the north Mr Alex salmon fight it out.
what would our flags look like?
Funny how this started out as a semi-serious thread and now people are showing their true snobbery. :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest