The Student Room Group

Been taxed on my summer job

Hello,
I have just finished my summer job, I worked for 3 months and received 3 pay cheques... and in each of them I got deducted Income Tax, I thought because I was a full time student I didn't have to pay this... is that correct?
I did ring up the tax office after my first pay cheque and they said I needed my p60... but because I hadn't had a job before this one I didn't have one.
So where do I go from here?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Ask your manager, you may need to fill in and send off a P46. Give them a call again and get this sorted, and expect a lovely couple of hundred quid your way in rebates. :smile:
Reply 2
I'm in the same situation, so I'm about to go on the HM Revenue + Customs site and not leave there until I've found what I'm looking for. Apparently there's also a p45 or p46 form I need to fill out as well
Reply 3
You'll get a tax rebate.

You don't need a p60.

Call HMRC and ask them to reevaluate your tax status. You'll subsequently get a cheque.

Though just because you're a full-time student doesn't make you tax exempt lol. How ridiculous would that be.

If you have already earned more than roughly £9k (untaxed income) in total since April then you are liable to pay tax.
Reply 4
It depends on how much you earn, even though it's a summer job if you earn more than a certain amount per week they take income tax off , however as you has stopped working you should be able to reclaim the tax back. You need to contact hmrc and fill up their form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jam'
You'll get a tax rebate.

You don't need a p60.

Call HMRC and ask them to reevaluate your tax status. You'll subsequently get a cheque.

Though just because you're a full-time student doesn't make you tax exempt lol. How ridiculous would that be.

If you have already earned more than roughly £9k (untaxed income) in total since April then you are liable to pay tax.

Actually, up until this year if you were a student and only worked in the holidays you were exempt from income tax: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm

Not any more though!

OP, you almost definitely won't have reached your personal tax limit in two months, but as tax is calculated using PAYE this is quite difficult to resolve until the end of the tax year (as you'd basically have to make them believe you definitely won't be paid again until April). You could try ringing them on their helpline - whenever I have tried they've been very helpful, and will know exactly what you need to do.
Reply 6
Original post by milienhaus
Actually, up until this year if you were a student and only worked in the holidays you were exempt from income tax: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm

Not any more though!

OP, you almost definitely won't have reached your personal tax limit in two months, but as tax is calculated using PAYE this is quite difficult to resolve until the end of the tax year (as you'd basically have to make them believe you definitely won't be paid again until April). You could try ringing them on their helpline - whenever I have tried they've been very helpful, and will know exactly what you need to do.

That's no longer the case as of 6 April 2013. And even if there was any outstanding tax rebate from before then, it would've already been paid.
Reply 7
Original post by Tanners92
Hello,
I have just finished my summer job, I worked for 3 months and received 3 pay cheques... and in each of them I got deducted Income Tax, I thought because I was a full time student I didn't have to pay this... is that correct?
I did ring up the tax office after my first pay cheque and they said I needed my p60... but because I hadn't had a job before this one I didn't have one.
So where do I go from here?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yeah P38s ain't supposed to be valid anymore so we have to claim it back - get your P45 then fill out a P50 online to reclaim it :-)
Original post by Jam'
That's no longer the case as of 6 April 2013. And even if there was any outstanding tax rebate from before then, it would've already been paid.

Yes, I know, that's why I said 'not any more' ... I was just responding to you saying it would be ridiculous for students to be tax exempt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending