The Student Room Group

Getting into Grad Med

Hi,

Just have a few questions on taking the long route after not doing so well on my IB exams, and having to take a degree in an almost unrelated subject. What are my options if I want to try from graduate medicine? Is it possible with a degree in Computer Science or are my chances way to small, as i'll be competing with thousands of biomed students?

Thanks in advance,
j
You definitely do have a chance, though you will be limited to which graduate medicine programmes you may apply to. Though there definitely are grad med courses which essentially want a 2:1 in any degree, so computer science will be fine. I'll let somebody more knowledgeable on the specifics fill you in - but definitely go and look up the entrance requirements on the websites for more detailed information, as it can get fiddly.
Reply 2
It depends on the university. Whether the university requires prior biological knowledge or not.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply guys. My IB grades aren't particularly great either - so would that get in the way of things?
Original post by iamjesus
Thanks for the reply guys. My IB grades aren't particularly great either - so would that get in the way of things?

It depends heavily on the med school. Go and look things up to clarify. Some med schools only look at the degree, others take degree + A-Level/eqiv. grades into account in their selection criteria for grad med.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending