The Student Room Group

Bit of a unique situation I think... help please!! :)

Hi! Ok so there's a bit of a back story to this!
I skipped a year in primary school so obviously I've been a year younger from that point on. I went to sixth form no problem and applied for a deferred entrance to university, planning to go travelling in my gap year. I got my place, and my results were good so I'm definitely going to uni (cardiff if anyone cares :tongue:) next year. BUT here's my problem! Travelling europe at 17 is a bit of a difficulty - not only do most companies need you to be 18, but I sort of want to be 18 when I go to fully experience everything, but my birthday's not until august! So I've planned to go travelling for about 6 weeks from mid-july through to late august, and I'm pretty happy with that choice. However, this leaves me with almost year and I've got nothing to do!

My first priority is to get a job - I definitely need the money! So I moved from the tiny village I was living in with my mum, to go and live with my dad, 300 miles away, in a city where there are certainly more opportunities. Problem is, I'm feeling really homesick, and I'm quite lonely as well as I don't know anyone here (apart from my dad!). I mean, I talk to my friends everyday but it's not quite the same as being around them, and with most of them going off to university I know they're going to (quite rightly) find new friends and be really busy so have a bit less time for me.

I'm really quite worried about not getting a job, not making new friends and being a complete loner for a year (which I really really don't want, I'm a really sociable person!) so my dad suggested something and I just want to know if any of you think it's a completely ridiculous idea. He suggested I take one or two A level's at the local sixth form (it's still enrolling) and get a part time job, that way I'd be in a group of people around my age and hopefully be making some money too! I'd like to point out that I really do enjoy learning (I know, could I be more nerdy?!) and would definitely prefer to be studying than working, but I don't know whether I'd be considered a total weirdo outsider in the college for already having completed A levels?

Also, if anyone knows, would this in any way jeopardise my place at Cardiff? I can't think why it would but just in case?

Ugh, sorry for the hugely long rant, I'm just a bit nervous and I feel a bit sad and pathetic not having any friends, it's a real change to what I'm used to! Thanks a lot in advance <3
Reply 1
Sounds like a good idea if you are happy with it. You already have met your requirements for Cardiff so it shouldn't matter (you can always give them a call and check).

By doing 1-2 A levels you would be keeping your mind at least partially used to studying aswell (so less problems getting back into it at uni). Also as you said about making friends, it sounds like a good idea all round. Doing 1-2 a levels also shouldn't be too stressful and time consuming so you could still do reasonable hours part time without tiring yourself out.

About people thinking your weird, if you explained your situation as it was (don't try and cover it up with a lie) then I wouldn't think you are wierd (and I'm pretty sure my mates wouldn't either), it sounds like a perfectly good idea to do since travelling would be a little boring if you couldn't do half the stuff.

Sounds like a brilliant plan, congrats at your place at Cardiff.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lbsf1
Sounds like a good idea if you are happy with it. You already have met your requirements for Cardiff so it shouldn't matter (you can always give them a call and check).

By doing 1-2 A levels you would be keeping your mind at least partially used to studying aswell (so less problems getting back into it at uni). Also as you said about making friends, it sounds like a good idea all round. Doing 1-2 a levels also shouldn't be too stressful and time consuming so you could still do reasonable hours part time without tiring yourself out.

About people thinking your weird, if you explained your situation as it was (don't try and cover it up with a lie) then I wouldn't think you are wierd (and I'm pretty sure my mates wouldn't either), it sounds like a perfectly good idea to do since travelling would be a little boring if you couldn't do half the stuff.

Sounds like a brilliant plan, congrats at your place at Cardiff.

Aww thanks so much!! I'm glad at least someone doesn't think I'm crazy! <3
Reply 3
I think that's a really good idea! Especially if when you first did you A Levels you based it around your uni course and that took priority over other interests (music, art, a language for example). If you're that way inclined, a language is definitely a good shout because it can help you with employment as well as when you go travelling :smile:.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by LouiseOrd
I think that's a really good idea! Especially if when you first did you A Levels you based it around your uni course and that took priority over other interests (music, art, a language for example). If you're that way inclined, a language is definitely a good shout because it can help you with employment as well as when you go travelling :smile:.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

+1 for a language. Whilst I'm being hypocritical because I haven't even taken one to GCSE, if a language interests you then definately take this opportunity to learn it, a language is more of a life skill where as lots of other A-Level subjects are just purely for academic recognition.
Reply 5
I took a year out between year 11 and sixth form and volunteered for St John Ambulance, got my Piano Performance level to 8, got so good at Lacrosse from all the time practicing that I become then National captain and had loads of fun exploring different interests! I really tried to enhance my fluency in Welsh, Arabic, Latin and French (the foreign languages I had been learning at school) and asked my Grandmother (an art Lecturer) to help me improve my technical ability in drawing and painting.

A year out can do you some serious good - even if it's not a fancy year abroad. My application to Uni is sooo much stronger than it would have been because of my year out. I also found a lot out about myself. It's certainly not a bad thing :smile: If you want any advice or ideas just drop me an inbox :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lbsf1
+1 for a language. Whilst I'm being hypocritical because I haven't even taken one to GCSE, if a language interests you then definately take this opportunity to learn it, a language is more of a life skill where as lots of other A-Level subjects are just purely for academic recognition.

I did Spanish for GCSE and I think if I would have went to a decent school and POSSIBLY didn't have a French teacher (as in a teacher who was French, not a teacher who just taught French) teaching me Spanish, I may have done better than a C... I think it was because Art was my main focus. After my degree, or in my spare time this year I might try and pick it back up again... I started to learn Sign Language as well, so I need to get back into that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending