The Student Room Group

Top universities

Hi, I really messed up my first year at college and I am now doing a third year. I am studying chemistry, biology, geography and business studies. I achieved 3A*s, 5As, 3Bs and a D in fsmq maths at GCSE. I am aiming for As in my alevels now and I'm prepared to work hard for it. I would just like to know how realistic are my chances of getting in a top university if I were to achieve As, I know some universities will not accept me due to my resit year and GCSEs. Please tell me which universities would not accept me for definite. Thanks:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Gdp4
Hi, I really messed up my first year at college and I am now doing a third year. I am studying chemistry, biology, geography and business studies. I achieved 3A*s, 5As, 3Bs and a D in fsmq maths at GCSE. I am aiming for As in my alevels now and I'm prepared to work hard for it. I would just like to know how realistic are my chances of getting in a top university if I were to achieve As, I know some universities will not accept me due to my resit year and GCSEs. Please tell me which universities would not accept me for definite. Thanks:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your back story, Oxford and Cambridge won't maybe not UCl or Imperial it usually says in the requirements.

Other Russell groups might Sheffield accepted me on a retake year but I'm a mature student so have a good back story, just make sure you do plenty of work experience etc to fill out your personal statement you'll be fine
Reply 2
With exception of oxbridge, most uni's don't mind that you have repeated the year, so long as your grades go up. :smile:

(Went through this trauma last year :wink:)

<3 x
Reply 3
Depends on the subject and university. Some Medicine schools and Oxford might not accept you.
Reply 4
That D in fsmq might be a problem unless you've also got a maths gcse at C+ in the mix somewhere.
Most unis need gcse C+ in maths and english and some want B+
Its your predicted grades that count and unless you are applying for Oxbridge or particularly picky places like LSE then it shouldn't be an issue. Your referee needs to mention (briefly) why you are doing a third year and indicate that this was a 'blip' - you've sorted out your motivation and do have the academic potential for Uni.

GCSEs - yes, most RGs want at least English & Maths to grade C minimum. Its worth retaking these this year if you need to bump up the grades. On the other hand - there are plenty of perfectly good Unis that dont insist on this, so look at admissions requirements carefully. RG isnt everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I achieved an A in GCSE maths and a B in English, fsmq was just an additional qualification in maths for taking it at alevel. Also when you talk about the reason why you messed up your first year is it just an explanation of how you didn't realise the amount of effort you had to put in? Also thanks for the answers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Also anyone who achieved high grades, any tips or revision techniques?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending