The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How much monthly allowance to give my son?

Hi, my son is due to start a MMath in Mathematics at York University next month.

As he went through clearing he isn't yet sure whether he's going to be offered a catering or self-catering place.

He says he wants to go self-catering as he doesn't want to be told when to eat or what to eat. I feel that this option would work out more expensive in the long run & also mean that he would not eat properly.

As I will be subsidising him fully for his living expenses (food, toileteries, books, travel etc) I was wondering what would be a realistic monthly allowance to give him if he went the self-catered option. He has a part time holiday job so will have some money for going out.

I was thinking ÂŁ10 a day but have no idea whether this will be enough.

Also, what would he be looking at approximately the cost of his books first year?

Many thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ziggy2011
Hi, my son is due to start a MMath in Mathematics at York University next month.

As he went through clearing he isn't yet sure whether he's going to be offered a catering or self-catering place.

He says he wants to go self-catering as he doesn't want to be told when to eat or what to eat. I feel that this option would work out more expensive in the long run & also mean that he would not eat properly.

As I will be subsidising him fully for his living expenses (food, toileteries, books, travel etc) I was wondering what would be a realistic monthly allowance to give him if he went the self-catered option. He has a part time holiday job so will have some money for going out.

I was thinking ÂŁ10 a day but have no idea whether this will be enough.

Also, what would he be looking at approximately the cost of his books first year?

Many thanks

Hi If he goes self catering he can opt to buy a MAD card for either dinner or breakfast & dinner see link - http://www.york.ac.uk/commercialservices/catering_and_bars/mad/MAD%20Information%20Leaflet.pdf there are a number of dining facilities around campus therefore he will not be restricted to 1 dining hall. It will also give you an idea how much per meal weekends he will have to cook for himself. hope this helps.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by choc cakes
Hi If he goes self catering he can opt to buy a MAD card for either dinner or breakfast & dinner see link - http://www.york.ac.uk/commercialservices/catering_and_bars/mad/MAD%20Information%20Leaflet.pdf there are a number of dining facilities around campus therefore he will not be restricted to 1 dining hall. It will also give you an idea how much per meal weekends he will have to cook for himself. hope this helps.

That's great...very helpful...thanks very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending