The Student Room Group

Would you give up your relationship for an MBE?

Scroll to see replies

You don't become "sir" with an MBE.
No, but I sometimes feel I should be rewarded with an MBE for staying in the relationship.
I don't particularly care for the honours system.
Reply 23
What would the MBE be for? Breaking up with your girlfriend for no reason?
Original post by Nice.Guy
What would the MBE be for? Breaking up with your girlfriend for no reason?

Services to the Armed Forces as Major or General of the British Army. Or the most decorated British Olympian of all-time.

Learn to read OPs.
Reply 25
I wouldn't take one of those awards if it was offered to me for free, so I can't think why on earth I would devote my life to getting one.

OP, why do you want one? You think it will make you respected?
I know several people who have earned CBEs/MBEs/etc. In each case, the novelty and excitement of them receiving the award lasted about two weeks. Now no one cares.

Original post by sugar-n-spice
The idea that you would give up anything at all for the approval of a bunch of inbred womanisers, drug-abusers and Nazi-sympathisers whose greatest achievements literally are just being born, is beyond retarded.

Great quote.
Reply 26
Original post by NonBlackSprinter
I didn't necessarily say you would wake up alone. You could have all the one night stands you want.

The situation was to become an athlete and move away thus have to break up, which would result in an MBE and a national/global recognition of heroism, or stay with your partner, and well, you may not even been employed in this current market.

There's a difference between waking up next to a random girl/guy and waking up next to someone you deeply care about. I think life is about taking risks - nothing ever is guaranteed. Yes - your partner might break up with you, but then again you can give everything up to became an athlete and then one day accidentally cause such damage to your body that you can no longer compete. I think you need to find a happy medium and someone who will support you through anything. If you're in a relationship where you have to choose on or the other, it's probably not a very good relationship. :confused:
I can honestly say that surprises me.

I've seen plenty of people on this website say "Don't pick your uni choice/job because of your boyfriend. The relationship may not last, but it's all about your future."

I understand why it may be seen as selfish but what about your own future? What about having the best possible life for yourself? What more better is there than an Olympic Gold around your neck?

I hope your relationship lasts, and you're very happy with your partner, but personally I think that some people, in particular women, fall so deeply that they can't make essential/opportunistic sacrifices for their own good and their own prospects.

I guess I'm lucky in the case of my relationship that the feeling is mutual - we both want the best for each other and so would never stop the other from perusing their dreams. Neither of us would compromise uni places for each other because we both know that the other person wouldn't want us to... it's kind of a best-friendship too in that even if we did break up we'd still help each other in life ^.^
And I guess here the situation is just different because I'm just not too bothered in a title, and only use sport as a hobby and to keep fit rather than competing.
Reply 28
Hell know. If you get an MBE it already means you're quite successful in your field so I wouldn't want a meaningless thing on the end of my name.
Original post by sugar-n-spice
The idea that you would give up anything at all for the approval of a bunch of inbred womanisers, drug-abusers and Nazi-sympathisers whose greatest achievements literally are just being born, is beyond retarded.

I literally lold at this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Services to the Armed Forces as Major or General of the British Army.

Those people, by definition of the award, should not be given MBEs. Officers should be given OBEs, commanders CBEs.
OP, you do realize you can receive an MBE, whilst in a relationship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending