The Student Room Group

Would you give up your relationship for an MBE?

My aim in life is honestly to become:

Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire - (MBE)

And I think I would 'hypothetically' give up my long-term girlfriend, wife, and never marry again if I was to be seen at the level and gain the same respect as Sir Christopher Andrew Hoy.

Assuming you could become Major or General of the British Army, or an Olympian capable of winning 5 Gold Medals, but had to give up your current 'normal' life, including your partner to achieve this.

Would you? And why?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I guess it's a difficult question when you think both are one of a kind:

- The woman you marry, a special one, a special bond, something you can cherish together

- Michael Phelps, a one of a kind athlete, the best of his sport, the greatest ever of his kind, one who will not be replicated

Given the divorce rate of this country, marriages don't always last, people can wake up one morning, turn over and see nobody there - Michael Phelps will never wake up without these facts on his Wikipedia page:

"Michael Fred Phelps II (born June 30, 1985) is a retired[6] American swimmer and the most decorated Olympian of all time, with a total of 22 medals. Phelps also holds the all-time records for Olympic gold medals (18, double the second highest record holders), Olympic gold medals in individual events (11), and Olympic medals in individual events for a male (13). In winning eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Games, Phelps took the record for the most first-place finishes at any single Olympic Games. Five of those victories were in individual events, tying the single Games record. In the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Phelps won four golds and two silver medals, making him the most successful athlete of the Games for the third Olympics in a row.[7]

Phelps is the long course world recordholder in the 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter butterfly and 400-meter individual medley as well as the former long course world recordholder in the 200-meter freestyle and 200-meter individual medley. He has won a total of 71 medals in major international long-course competition, 57 gold, 11 silver, and three bronze spanning the Olympics, the World, and the Pan Pacific Championships. Phelps's international titles and record-breaking performances have earned him the World Swimmer of the Year Award seven times and American Swimmer of the Year Award nine times as well as the FINA Swimmer of the Year Award in 2012. His unprecedented Olympic success in 2008 earned Phelps Sports Illustrated magazine's Sportsman of the Year award."
I personally wouldn't, having been with my boyfriend for 3 years so far it gets to a point where you want them to have what they want as opposed to everything you want, because you care about them... I couldn't be that selfish... Would be even worse if you had kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No way.
Original post by natashaaarr
I personally wouldn't, having been with my boyfriend for 3 years so far it gets to a point where you want them to have what they want as opposed to everything you want, because you care about them... I couldn't be that selfish... Would be even worse if you had kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can honestly say that surprises me.

I've seen plenty of people on this website say "Don't pick your uni choice/job because of your boyfriend. The relationship may not last, but it's all about your future."

I understand why it may be seen as selfish but what about your own future? What about having the best possible life for yourself? What more better is there than an Olympic Gold around your neck?

I hope your relationship lasts, and you're very happy with your partner, but personally I think that some people, in particular women, fall so deeply that they can't make essential/opportunistic sacrifices for their own good and their own prospects.
The idea that you would give up anything at all for the approval of a bunch of inbred womanisers, drug-abusers and Nazi-sympathisers whose greatest achievements literally are just being born, is beyond retarded.
Reply 6
Original post by sugar-n-spice
The idea that you would give up anything at all for the approval of a bunch of inbred womanisers, drug-abusers and Nazi-sympathisers whose greatest achievements literally are just being born, is beyond retarded.

Who talked about womanisers and drug abusers? :confused:
I don't think I'd give £10 for an MBE...it's a fairly useless award. The only reason it would be nice to get one would be to be recognised for hard work you've done - it's not useful in itself.
Nationalistic ideologies are going to carry much less significance as society starts to mature. Any reward that comes from a Monarch is a joke if you ask me. Focus on the medals received for competing they will inspire people, an MBE will just make them think you are smug. As for leaving your partner, why on earth would you do that. The people you should be aiming to inspire the most are those closest to you, as they will be the support you need when things are not going so well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by getlucky.

It's a reference to the Royal Family, quite accurate too.
Reply 10
Don't think our country stands for much anymore.
After all them riots, recession, the poor, the gangs, drug addicts, violent alcoholics, abusers etc
Why would you want to make a country proud when the country doesn't even care. Half of us wants to live well and do something useful in life, the other half just wants to act like rats.

This country needs to pull itself together, don't waste your own life on people who wouldn't waste theirs on yours. :frown:

Also, boyfriend or no boyfriend, girlfriend or no girlfriend shouldn't stop you from doing what you want.
In a relationship you push each other towards your dreams so youre both happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
My cousin has an MBE.

He's also divorced. Though he got the MBE long before that, so they're not really related.

Which brings me on to my main point (I'm not just bragging about my cousin): I wouldn't give up a relationship for a medal/honour, but I would (or at least might) give it up for an interest/career/ambition related to that honour. So if I wanted to be an athlete (I don't, but I'll use your example), I wouldn't let a relationship stand in the way of achieveing that. If a girlfriend forced me to choose between her and an MBE, I would choose her. But if she forced me to choose between her and a lifelong ambition, I would choose the ambition.
Reply 12
Original post by getlucky.

That's what the Queen's family are and who presents the award?
(edited 10 years ago)
Not that I have a relationship but I'd rather love someone and be loved in an intimate fashion than just be a great person but that's just my personality type.
Reply 15
[h="1"]“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country”[/h] E.M. Forster

Like this quote says, I would not be tempted away from that one, special person for useless social credit.
There is nothing Great about Great Britain, so why bother being recognised by a country which is a pathetic shadow of its former glory.

Its weird, I always thought money was the thing I wanted most in the world. But whenever I have to make a wish (i.e. birthday candles/rainbows) I always automatically wish to be happy rather than for money.

So yes, you list off some pretentious garbage about wanting to inspire future generations, but are you sure its not that you want to be recognised as the person who does that, rather than the end result of inspiring others. So my question is: Are your motives really selfless? Surely you could do a lot of good without ever being given an MBE.

People who only do good works because they want an MBE don't really deserve one.
Reply 17
I have no real sense of national pride or 'patriotism', I don't seek out fame, I don't want to be idolised, etc. I would much rather make little contributions to the general well being of all people whilst still remaining low profile and enjoying/sharing my life with someone. What is the point in 4 gold medals if every day you wake up alone?
Original post by dartanoir
I have no real sense of national pride or 'patriotism', I don't seek out fame, I don't want to be idolised, etc. I would much rather make little contributions to the general well being of all people whilst still remaining low profile and enjoying/sharing my life with someone. What is the point in 4 gold medals if every day you wake up alone?

I didn't necessarily say you would wake up alone. You could have all the one night stands you want.

The situation was to become an athlete and move away thus have to break up, which would result in an MBE and a national/global recognition of heroism, or stay with your partner, and well, you may not even been employed in this current market.
Reply 19
If your main ambition is the accolade, then you are not suited to the work required to gain said accolade.

Quick Reply

Latest