School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Course: BA International Relations
AS grades: AAA
Entry requirements: AAA
Predictions: AAA
Other choices: LSE (AAA), Durham (AAA), Surrey (AAB) and Birmingham (ABB)
Offer: TBA
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by #afital
I'm applying to SOAS
AS grades - AAAC
A2 predictions - A*AB
I'm applying for history I just prefer the modules at SOAS compared to everywhere else
Other options queen Mary, goldsmiths, even don't know where else

Posted from TSR Mobile

What history modules are you thinking of doing?
Thinking of studying history and Japanese
Requirements: AAB
As results: AAABC
Predicted: AAAA

Anyone do the course? Any advice for personal statement? I'm applying for history for my other 4 choices and I'm not sure how much to mention the Japanese bit in my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
wanting to do study of religions
As - ABCC,
predicted - ABB,
course requirement ABB!
also applying bristol, birmingham, essexs and oxford brookes
When do they start giving out offers?
Hello :smile:
I am going to apply for Development Studies with either International Relations, Politics or Economics :smile:
Reply 26
Hello,
I've already received an unconditional offer (Law and Korean).
Original post by Kamarelka
Hello,
I've already received an unconditional offer (Law and Korean).

Have you already achieved the grades? Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by GeoMash
What history modules are you thinking of doing?

First year we have to do approaches to history, I've hear from people that it's hard but it's well worth it. My other options are introduction to history of near and Middle East and history of Africa and for my 4th module I want to study a language.

I applied on Tuesday, so maybe within these couple if weeks I might get a reply?!

Which modules are you planning in studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james_yoshi
Thinking of studying history and Japanese
Requirements: AAB
As results: AAABC
Predicted: AAAA

Anyone do the course? Any advice for personal statement? I'm applying for history for my other 4 choices and I'm not sure how much to mention the Japanese bit in my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh, I am, I am!
And hmm... it's hard to say really. A big part of my personal statement was talking about how much I loved Japanese history, so it was quite easy for me to blend the two.
What I will say is that Japanese is very competitive at SOAS, as it is pretty much the best place to study it in the UK, and although this isn't based on any fact or anything, I do get the feeling (and other people feel the same way) that SOAS take personal statements into account maybe a bit more than other unis. This is because the degrees offered here are so different from any other UK uni, passion in your subject plays a way bigger part than merely grades.
Japanese also has a massive drop out rate as it is, so I think they'll be even more keen to only accept people who really seem passionate about it. Regardless, good luck!

Original post by #afital
First year we have to do approaches to history, I've hear from people that it's hard but it's well worth it. My other options are introduction to history of near and Middle East and history of Africa and for my 4th module I want to study a language.

I applied on Tuesday, so maybe within these couple if weeks I might get a reply?!

Which modules are you planning in studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, heheh, I'm doing Approaches and Intro to East Asia :wink: (although approaches isn't compulsory for joint honours fyi).
I've heard people say that as well, and that it's supposed to be super interesting. The only hard part atm is the sheer amount of reading you have to do for it (and it doesn't help that I'm not that interested in the subject matter atm as well), but we'll see how things go :smile:
Reply 30
Course: Persian and Arabic
requirements: AAB
predicted grades: A*BB
my AS were Archaeology A (192/200! :biggrin: )
English Lit B
History C (two UMS off a B and I'm resitting my C grade paper)
Music D (two units were high Bs and one unit was a U - needless to say I'm resitting the U grade)
I don't know whether I'll get an offer, I went to a 15 hour KCL intensive arabic course in July, and I've been learning english grammar, but I lack an A-level language!
Reply 31
Hey guys, has anyone received an offer from SOAS Yet?? They seem to be taking extremely long or is it just my impatience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I sent my application in on the 7th October.

Course: BA Chinese (Modern and Classical)
AS: AAAAA
Entry Requirements: AAB
Predicted: A*A*A*A*
Other Choices: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham

I'm a bit worried that I haven't had any form of acknowledgement email from SOAS that they've received my application-is this the norm, or should I contact the admissions office to check everything's okay?
Reply 33
Original post by TheBookOwl
Hey! I sent my application in on the 7th October.

Course: BA Chinese (Modern and Classical)
AS: AAAAA
Entry Requirements: AAB
Predicted: A*A*A*A*
Other Choices: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham

I'm a bit worried that I haven't had any form of acknowledgement email from SOAS that they've received my application-is this the norm, or should I contact the admissions office to check everything's okay?

I sent mine off on the 15th! I've had an email from other unis telling me they have received my application, but from SOAS it's silent! A bit worried here! But I've heard from current students that they are very slow with their bureaucracy so it's a bit normal for SOAS I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #afital
I sent mine off on the 15th! I've had an email from other unis telling me they have received my application, but from SOAS it's silent! A bit worried here! But I've heard from current students that they are very slow with their bureaucracy so it's a bit normal for SOAS I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's annoying, isn't it? Another worried one here! Reassured that it seems to be normal though!
Reply 35
Course: Korean and Linguistics
AS grades: AAAAB
Entry requirements: AAB
Predictions:A*A*A*
Other choices: Cambridge, York, UCL (for Linguistics) & Sheffield (Korean Studies)
Offer: waiting impatiently...(sent my application at the start of October)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
BA Korean and ...
Entry Requirements
A Levels: AAB
Predicted Grades: TBC

This is all I have so far:smile:
Reply 37
Original post by JeSuisAinee
Course: BA International Relations
AS grades: AAA
Other choices: LSE (AAA), Durham (AAA), Surrey (AAB) and Birmingham (ABB)

Hey you :smile: I've applied for IR at SOAS, LSE & Queen Mary. Have you heard anything for
SOAS? I haven't even received a confirmation and I applied 8th Oct
Reply 38
International Relations

GCSEs: 7 A* 1 A
iGCSEs: 3A* = total 10 A* 1 A
AS grades: AAAB
Predicted: A*A*A
Entry requirements AAA

I've also applied to LSE and Queen Mary (received an offer) and I've applied to UCL for ESPS and Kings for European studies
Reply 39
Course: History & Politics
AS grades: AAAC
Other choices: LSE, Edinburgh, Leicester & Dundee
Offer: Offer for 3A's
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply