The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2014

As the title states, any hopeful SOAS applicants for the 2014 entry?

So state the course, entry requirements, predictions, other choices and offers made.

Course: LLB Law
AS grades: AAAC
Entry requirements: A*AA
Predictions:A*AA
Other choices: Queen Mary so far, need to think of more :smile:
Offer: A*AA or AAA and B in EPQ
Offers made: City, Kent, Brunel and QMUL, SOAS now too

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are there seriously no applicants on TSR this year?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
I'll start.

Course : BA South Asian Studies Urdu or Hindi Pathway
Entry requirements : AAB
Predictions : TBA
Other choices:BA South Asian studies with social anthropology (also SOAS)
Offers : TBA

Currently studying an access to higher education course along with a lay course in Arabic language at Durham uni, so the A-Level requirements don't really apply to me but are a good general guide for what I need to achieve on the access course.
Reply 3
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
As the title states, any hopeful SOAS applicants for the 2014 entry?

So state the course, entry requirements, predictions, other choices and offers made.

Course: LLB Law
Entry requirements: A*AA
Predictions:TBA
Other choices: Queen Mary so far, need to think of more :smile:
Offer: TBA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, I'm starting tomorrow :smile:
Original post by HK786
Good luck, I'm starting tomorrow :smile:

What course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 5
What course are you doing? :smile:

LAW :smile:
Original post by HK786
LAW :smile:

Ah! Coolio. Have a few questions if you wouldn't mind :colondollar:

How long did they take to reply?
What did you get in your A-levels and what subjects did you do?
Reply 7
Ah! Coolio. Have a few questions if you wouldn't mind :colondollar:

How long did they take to reply?
What did you get in your A-levels and what subjects did you do?

They replied around march time and I sent of my application in december.

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HK786
They replied around march time and I sent of my application in december.

A-levels
History- A
Biology- B
Economics- B

Good luck!

You must have had an excellent personal statement or else they're lenient on entry requirements?

Thank you! I have to send mine of by October :frown:
Reply 9
You must have had an excellent personal statement or else they're lenient on entry requirements?

dunno
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10

I will be studying LAW this year at SOAS and i got AAB. To be honest they are very lenient on entry requirements. I know people who got ABB and got in to do A*AA law course because this year SOAS received very less LAW applicants and as a result they had lots of places to offer in clearings this year.

btw i am happy to answer any question you may have :smile:
Original post by hennypenny
I will be studying LAW this year at SOAS and i got AAB. To be honest they are very lenient on entry requirements. I know people who got ABB and got in to do A*AA law course because this year SOAS received very less LAW applicants and as a result they had lots of places to offer in clearings this year.

btw i am happy to answer any question you may have :smile:

THANK YOU! :biggrin:

Wow, they are exceptionally lenient considering A*AA is the minimum entry tarrif thing. But that's good for us then. A* is manic to get, and really on luck.
I really really want to go there as my firm choice. How much of a global emphasis did your personal statement have?
Also, I emailed them asking if there was anything I could do to my ps to make it better, they said I could email a ps to undergrad admissions. Do you think I should do that?
Reply 12
Hey :smile:

Wanting to do History at SOAS
Entry Requirements: AAB
AS Levels: AAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A

Also applying to LSE, UCL, Leeds and Nottingham Trent. Who else is applying for History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
THANK YOU! :biggrin:

Wow, they are exceptionally lenient considering A*AA is the minimum entry tarrif thing. But that's good for us then. A* is manic to get, and really on luck.
I really really want to go there as my firm choice. How much of a global emphasis did your personal statement have?
Also, I emailed them asking if there was anything I could do to my ps to make it better, they said I could email a ps to undergrad admissions. Do you think I should do that?

yeah true A* I quite hard to get. I got a high A grade in all my history units and still I was 1 mark off an a* overall! I was like so pissed aha. Don't worry, just work hard and you will get your firm choice, and as far as your P.S. concerns do try to add abit about diff cultures here and there. For instance, write about yur interest in other cultures and your vacations abroad such as in Asia and Middle east (as the law modules will cover these regions). also try to make your P.S. stand out by sharing your unique experience/or thought which convinced you to apply for the course. I cant really advice you much on law P.S. because I actually did a History P.S. as I initially applied to study History at SOAS but my mind changed in the holidays and I rang them up and it was sorted. but I had quite intriguing things to add to my P.S. such as my tours to Middle east, Kashmir and Europe and also I added things about my grandfather as he participated in the world war and I found his letters which he received and wrote to the war commission which got me to study about past-these things make your P.S. VERY PERSONAL and that's what they want. Moving to your last question if SOAS said that the team will help you with your ps then you deffo should.
I am too lazy to read what I just wrote so apologies in advance if it doesn't make sense :tongue:
I've just started Japanese and History so if any one has any questions feel free to ask :smile:

In terms of leniency and personal statements, I definitely think SOAS takes personal statements WAY more into account than other unis- if you really let your passion shine through and worry less about what makes a p.s. 'technically' good, I think you'll do well :smile: But I would deffo send a draft to admissions because every little helps :smile:
BA Development Studies and a language (Stilll undecided, maybe Chinese considering I've started learning it. Would anybody suggest another language?:tongue:))
Entry requirements: AAA
Predicted: A*AA

I was also thinking maybe BA Development Studies and Law, but purely because I love the look of the law course at SOAS, and I wouldn't be applying for law anywhere else, would this look like I wasn't passionate enough and potentially ruin my application?
Reply 16
I'm applying for Study of Religions and Korean and also just Study of Religions.
Entry Requirements: AAB & ABB

My A2s: English Literature, Psychology, Religious Studies(Philosophy & Theology)

Predicted Grades: Don't know yet
Original post by Matt.k.Smith
BA Development Studies and a language (Stilll undecided, maybe Chinese considering I've started learning it. Would anybody suggest another language?:tongue:))
Entry requirements: AAA
Predicted: A*AA

I was also thinking maybe BA Development Studies and Law, but purely because I love the look of the law course at SOAS, and I wouldn't be applying for law anywhere else, would this look like I wasn't passionate enough and potentially ruin my application?

Hmmmm....I think it makes you more passionate because it shows SOAS law is the one for you :smile:
Reply 18
I'm applying to SOAS
AS grades - AAAC
A2 predictions - A*AB
I'm applying for history I just prefer the modules at SOAS compared to everywhere else
Other options queen Mary, goldsmiths, even don't know where else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying for BA History and Economics here.
Grades acheived at A2 : AAB

Really they take that long to reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest