The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre Reg Applications - Where have you applied?

I'LL UPDATE THIS THREAD OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.

Keys!
Rejected
Offer
Interview
Reserved List
Interview & Then Rejected
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. PHARMALIFE

Princess92 - GOSH, C+W, KHP, Nottingham
Pharmasaurus - South London Healthcare Trust, KHP, Barts, C+W
DentalLondon - GOSH, C+W, Imperial, St Georges
Mija_Maryy - East London NHS Foundation Trust and Day Lewis, St. Georges, The Royal Surrey County Hospital, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Trust
BigDirty - Sunderland, Blackpool, Newcastle, Manchester
Prescriptator - Barts, University Hospital Coventry and Warickshire, Ashford & St. Peters, Brighton
algérie_mon_amour - James Cook University Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, County Durham and Darlington,
North Tees and Hartlepool
kc91- Portsmouth, Southampton, St George's, Salisbury
Fheych - Basildon and thurrock Barts, Barking and Havering, Kings health partners
SimonWill71 - Blackpool, Durham and Darlington, Sheffield hospitals, Wirral
Pharm_Girl1 -Sandwell/City, QE, Dudley Hosp Walsall
ellie23 - St Georges, Central Manchester KHP, Royal Brompton
bellepepperr - East Kent, Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells, Kings Health Partners, Chelsea + Westminster
Crobeam - Aintree, Liverpool Heart and Chest, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen and St. Helens (Whiston)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. NES

Pharmasaurus - Greater Glasgow and Clyde , Grampian
BigDirty - Glasgow and Clyde, Lanarkshire, Forth Valley
Prescriptator - Glasgow and Clyde
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey why not

Pharmalife
South London Healthcare Trust
Kings Health partners
Barts
Chelsea and Westminster

NES
Glasgow Royal Infirmary (Interview)
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary (interview)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Princess92
So I thought we could make a thread about where everyone has applied, help each other out with tips for interviews etc following in the steps of previous threads like this. It'd be nice to know fellow students who are aspiring to go in to hospital pharmacy and it'd give you an idea if someone has heard back from the hospital you have applied for as well.

I've taken a risk and applied to Nottingham Hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster, Kings Health Partners and GOSH.

Anyone else applied to the same hospitals?

Those will be very popular hospitals especially C&W,

I have taken the high risk approach also ; like yourself ( probably for the same reason ! )

NHS England

Chelsea and Westminster :smile:
Imperial Health Trust
GOSH
St. George's
(edited 10 years ago)
Why does everyone apply to GOSH???
Mine are pretty low key hospitals bar one.

East London NHS Foundation Trust and Day Lewis
St. Georges
The Royal Surrey County Hospital
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Trust
Reply 5
Pharmalife
Sunderland
Blackpool
Newcastle
Manchester

NES
Glasgow and Clyde
Lanarkshire
Forth Valley
Original post by BigDirty
Pharmalife
Sunderland
Blackpool
Newcastle
Manchester

NES
Glasgow and Clyde
Lanarkshire
Forth Valley

Hey big dirty, You make the preferred list for GG&C? I heard theres 40 people on it and they got 17 pre regs. Almost a 1 in 2 chance which isnt bad odds.
Reply 7
Original post by pharmasaurus
Hey big dirty, You make the preferred list for GG&C? I heard theres 40 people on it and they got 17 pre regs. Almost a 1 in 2 chance which isnt bad odds.

Hey! Yeah I'm on it, you?

Yeah they told me they were putting 40 on it. From a totally selfish point of view it's got me annoyed/worried. I done a placement with them this summer - you'd think that would give you a bit of priority but obviously not. I am not enjoying the NES process at all - cant wait until its all over.

You got your preference list sorted yet?
Hey! Yeah I'm on it, you?

Yeah they told me they were putting 40 on it. From a totally selfish point of view it's got me annoyed/worried. I done a placement with them this summer - you'd think that would give you a bit of priority but obviously not. I am not enjoying the NES process at all - cant wait until its all over.

You got your preference list sorted yet?

yep, did my placement at GRI and got on the pre reg list through that. Im on the ARI list through another placement also, got a 1 in 3 chance of getting a pre reg there so i'm almost guaranteed a pre reg in Scotland if I dont mess up the NES interview.

Guess thats why Im choosing the big names down in England
Reply 9
yep, did my placement at GRI and got on the pre reg list through that. Im on the ARI list through another placement also, got a 1 in 3 chance of getting a pre reg there so i'm almost guaranteed a pre reg in Scotland if I dont mess up the NES interview.

Guess thats why Im choosing the big names down in England

That's great! On Lanarkshire list, hopefully on Forth Valley (they don't tell you) and on Boots (...) so hopefully I won't mess up NES. It is just annoying that you want to go somewhere and they want you but there's this ordeal in between.

Good idea to go for the big hospitals then. I haven't even visited any of the hospitals I chose - it is doubtful I will even get an interview but I've done it now and there is always second round if NES didn't work out.
Reply 10
I'll update this thread just like Petzneo and Monkeyolsen :smile:
Pharmalife:
Barts
University Hospital Coventry and Warickshire
Ashford & St. Peters
Brighton

NES:
Glasgow
So just to clarify, in Scotland you're considered for health boards so mine should be NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and NHS Grampian, but youre more likely to be placed within the hospital that you did your placement within
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
So just to clarify, in Scotland you're considered for health boards so mine should be NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde and NHS Grampian, but youre more likely to be placed within the hospital that you did your placement within

I had no idea but thank you for clarifying. I shall update it.
Reply 14
That's great! On Lanarkshire list, hopefully on Forth Valley (they don't tell you) and on Boots (...) so hopefully I won't mess up NES. It is just annoying that you want to go somewhere and they want you but there's this ordeal in between.

Good idea to go for the big hospitals then. I haven't even visited any of the hospitals I chose - it is doubtful I will even get an interview but I've done it now and there is always second round if NES didn't work out.

Does this mean you have accepted Boots. I'm just wondering out of curiosity. I've heard a lot of people accept then reject them and I know people doing that also...
Reply 15
Original post by Princess92
Does this mean you have accepted Boots. I'm just wondering out of curiosity. I've heard a lot of people accept then reject them and I know people doing that also...

Nah, in Scotland we have preferred lists and employers have them too. It is a centralised interview though and you have to pass that. Top 170(ish) scored in the interview/assessment day and application get placed. It's a complicated and long drawn out process but it means that everyone gets same wage and theoretically pass the same competencies...

NES ultimately decides where we are placed. We and employers have preference lists and they match it from that based on NES assessment day.

Clear as mud...
Reply 16
Nah, in Scotland we have preferred lists and employers have them too. It is a centralised interview though and you have to pass that. Top 170(ish) scored in the interview/assessment day and application get placed. It's a complicated and long drawn out process but it means that everyone gets same wage and theoretically pass the same competencies...

NES ultimately decides where we are placed. We and employers have preference lists and they match it from that based on NES assessment day.

Clear as mud...

That's really different, didn't realise it could be like that. I hope whatever it is that you want, works out for you.
Does anyone care to share their professional judgment answer? Just curious to see everyone's response. As advised I steered clear of the generic community pharmacy generic ethical dilemma. Mines as follows

1. Professional judgement: Describe a pharmacy specific situation where you had to demonstrate your critical thinking and professional judgement. What did you do and what was the outcome? The example cited should relate to pharmacy practice or pharmacy work experience. (Maximum of 1000 characters including spaces).

While on ward rounds at GRI's ICU, I was introduced to a patient recently admitted with severe epileptic seizures following a colectomy. The doctors assumed this was due to poor absorption of the epilepsy medicines and were considering increasing the doses to compensate. My professional judgement left me sceptical at this diagnosis as I knew that most oral medicines are almost exclusively absorbed in the small intestine, and therefore this is unlikely to be the root of the cause. The clinical notes indicated unexplainable vomiting & tachycardia during the previous night, which after looking at the patient's drug kardex, all three of these symptoms could be attributable to theophylline toxicity. I brought this to the attention of the pharmacist (who had yet to review the patient) and a theophylline level was ordered. The serum concentration came well into the toxic region confirming my theory. This prevented the dosage increase and therefore the possibility of further adverse effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I have to say that is a really good example. Unfortunately mine is a bog standard example from community pharmacy about Carbimazole.
James Cook University Hospital
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
County Durham and Darlington
North Tees and Hartlepool

Quick Reply

Latest