The Student Room Group

Marks for speaking and listening axed from GCSE English

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10273689/Marks-for-speaking-and-listening-axed-from-GCSE-English.html
I wish they would stop meddling with the system! I've completed the speaking and listening element of my English GCSE this year but if these rules are in place it could render them pretty useless...
what do you guys think? is it fair for those who have already completed half of their GCSE to go under more assessments to fit the new?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Levingne
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10273689/Marks-for-speaking-and-listening-axed-from-GCSE-English.html
I wish they would stop meddling with the system! I've completed the speaking and listening element of my English GCSE this year but if these rules are in place it could render them pretty useless...
what do you guys think? is it fair for those who have already completed half of their GCSE to go under more assessments to fit the new?

If you're currently on a specification with speaking and listening skills, these won't be removed. The ruling will only apply for future specifications.

This is a sensible decision, too. Speaking and listening is horribly abused because it is internally assessed with little moderation.
Reply 2
I'm still upset about how much of a big deal they made out KS3 SATs to be, only to make my year the last year to do them. Life's not fair, kiddo.

If it helps English is easy enough to scrape a C without even trying and I'm sure you can do better than that, besides, unless you're applying to like Oxbridge, your GCSE's are about as good as the two weeks it takes between getting your results and getting into college. Fact: No sane adult ever remembers what GCSE's they got. Addendum: People on TSR don't count.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JakeyKakey
I'm still upset about how much of a big deal they made out KS3 SATs to be, only to make my year the last year to do them. Life's not fair, kiddo.

If it helps English is easy enough to scrape a C without even trying and I'm sure you can do better than that, besides, unless you're applying to like Oxbridge, your GCSE's are about as good as the two weeks it takes between getting your results and getting into college. Fact: No sane adult ever remembers what GCSE's they got. Addendum: People on TSR don't count.

That Addendum is unnecessary. Your fact already contained the qualifier 'sane'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Public speaking is an important skill and students will be expected to be able to do it at university and work and therefore do need practice at school.
In my experience, the students who loved to talk did very well, even if what they said was utter crap. A lot of them didn't listen, but they didn't seem to get marked down for that.
Reply 6
Original post by qwertyking
In my experience, the students who loved to talk did very well, even if what they said was utter crap. A lot of them didn't listen, but they didn't seem to get marked down for that.

I have to agree with this, I found that students in my class who didn't have a clue about what they were saying still managed to get above 8 out of 15 in their marks, if they showed the slightest bit of confidence or said one point that was half decent.
Reply 7
Original post by wildrover
Public speaking is an important skill and students will be expected to be able to do it at university and work and therefore do need practice at school.

Also I found that it did help me in terms of being able to put forward an argument in front of my class and not shy away, then again I did have a good teacher. Yes, many people are ill equipped with public speaking and having it as an element in our curriculum is a good way to start off, I think it's just the marking that needs to be looked at again or closely moderated instead of getting rid of the speaking/listening element wholly.
Reply 8
I think this is fair, there are so many people who just completely abuse the system :mad:

Then join a debating society.

I was one of the first groups to do GCSE's. I don't remember having to do anything like that. Funnily enough, I've still managed to stand up and present.

I'm finding it hard that we actually introduced such basic things.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Then join a debating society.

I was one of the first groups to do GCSE's. I don't remember having to do anything like that. Funnily enough, I've still managed to stand up and present.

I'm finding it hard that we actually introduced such basic things.

That's fine for people who it comes naturally to but many get nervous speaking in front of people and as it will no longer be examined, schools will stop students practising.
Original post by Levingne
I have to agree with this, I found that students in my class who didn't have a clue about what they were saying still managed to get above 8 out of 15 in their marks, if they showed the slightest bit of confidence or said one point that was half decent.

This is true. I remember losing my place in one of my speech thingies, going 'ahh ****' then pausing for about 10 seconds while I found my place again.
I came out with a middling to high B and wondered what you'd have to do to get a worse grade.
That's fine for people who it comes naturally to but many get nervous speaking in front of people and as it will no longer be examined, schools will stop students practising.

I used to get very nervous in front of people. I'm just saying that presentation skills weren't just the remit of the English Department. We practiced in History, Geography, Music & Science. It's practice that gets you better. Throw that presentations stuff out throughout all of the subjects and people will overcome their fears. Teaching it in a sterile environment doesn't help IMO.
Wish I didn't have to do speaking and listening! I got an E for mine and came out with an overall C because our teachers had a massive falling out (I had 14/15 on one assessment and the head of English said I couldn't have got that)! If only she knew I have performed in front of about 1,000 people before - bet she hasn't!
Good. It is English not drama after all
Original post by 2007PSanHa
Wish I didn't have to do speaking and listening! I got an E for mine and came out with an overall C because our teachers had a massive falling out (I had 14/15 on one assessment and the head of English said I couldn't have got that)! If only she knew I have performed in front of about 1,000 people before - bet she hasn't!

What you've done in the past is hardly relevant to the quality you produced is it?
Reply 16
Original post by mattmejevie
Good. It is English not drama after all

This.
Original post by Exon
This.

Is that why they judge you on 'Role Play/Drama' for speaking and listening.
I'm all for removing speaking and listening because teachers just give cheap marks - my teacher gave half the students in my class 12/15 for speaking utter nonsense.
There has to be some sort of correlation between speaking + listening with the writing exam.
It's absolutely nonsensical for a teacher to give a student an A/A* in speaking and listening when in their writing exam which is worth 40% they get a C.
Reply 18

Most people's problem is one of confidence, in which case you can simply take alcohol or benzodiazepines to cope.
Reply 19
Original post by sorafdfs
Most people's problem is one of confidence, in which case you can simply take alcohol or benzodiazepines to cope.

I would like to see how a drunk student doing a speaking exam would turn out :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending