The Student Room Group

How are you getting to uni and how much suitcases are you bringing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by returnmigrant
Most Freshers take FAR too much to Uni.

Remember ..... its only a very small room with minimal storage.
And you'll be moving out again in June.

Take the basics, not everything you own!

Why would you move out and leave half your stuff at your parents' house? I don't know about you but my parents don't have a load of stuff at my grandparents' houses that they left behind of theirs', and they actually live only a few miles away rather than the 150 miles away I live so it would make much more sense for them to do it than me. It's not like I can just pop back for something if it turns out I need/want it.

The room may be small but it's unlikely to be smaller than a car, so if it fits in the car it'll fit in your room, and if it doesn't your parents are going back home anyway so just put it back in the car. If you're bringing it on public transport then if you can carry it you can be sure it'll fit in your room.

My halls contract actually ended in July, shortly after my house contract started, so I was able to move my stuff straight from halls to my 2nd year house. However I had decided to take all my stuff long before I knew that was the case. It's much easier and makes much more sense to have all your stuff in the place you are actually living, then pack just what you need when you go home for a few weeks, rather than having all your stuff at home for a few weeks then having to pack for an entire term.

I wouldn't know where to begin packing for 3 months of uni, when it's just for a few weeks at home it's much easier and not long without something if you do forget.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
1 large suitcase my mum is taking back with her, 1 small suitcase and a few cardboard boxes. Not very much compared to some people :rolleyes:. We are driving up but it's not very far so I can always come back in a few weeks if I need something.
Reply 42
Parents are bringing me in the car, think I'm taking a couple suitcases (one big, one small - will only be keeping the small one and parents will be taking the big one back in the car) then the rest of my stuff will just be in boxes in the boot of the car. I already have suitcases at home, no need to buy.
Reply 43
Original post by moogoomonkey
To be honest I haven't actually though about how much I need to take. Clothes, computer (Monitor, actual computer, desktop stuff), laptop, lamp, favorite mug, printer, random gadgets, toolkit.... have I forgotten anything?

I'm guessing you're male :laugh:. For me it would also be all my shoes and makeup and hair bits. You've forgotten all bedding unless you're an international student, towels and bathroom toiletries, a couple plates/cutlery bits and stuff like tin/cap opener, basic food bits to start off, washing/laundry kit.
Reply 44
Omg, I move in tomorrow and I'm worried my stuff won't fit in the car XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I'm going up by car and taking;
*one large suitcase
*one holdall for a printer to share with the household
*a rucksack with my laptop, electrical items and enrolment documents
*a binbag with my bedding
*two plastic storage boxes full of food and cleaning products just so the kitchen isn't completely empty when we arrive. I'll probably leave them there indefinitely.
I'm going to make another trip in a week or two to pick up my bike, training stuff and ice-skates, so when I come back home on the train (assuming I haven't picked up more rubbish along the way) I'll have the suitcase, bike, holdall and rucksack.

Leaving at midnight tonight! :biggrin: So stoked.
Reply 46
I'm flying over. Getting two large suitcases shipped, bringing a hand luggage and suitcase on the plane and my dads flying over with me so he's bringing hand luggage for me too =)
Reply 47
Just packed one large suitcase and I have 3 or 4 boxes I think. Still need to pack a few more things so I might bring a smaller suitcase as well.
In the first year I took everything I owned. Now I'm going into my third year and I'm toning it doooown. Just figure out what you use on a daily basis and take those items - don't take things you "might need in the future" or you'll end up bringing back stuff you didn't even use!
I packed all my crap waaaay too far in advance and now have next to nothing to wear :') the grand total is one huge box full of books, video games, other stuff from my bedroom, and some clothes; two smaller boxes with clothes and jewellery in; got to be knocking on 6 big wilko bags of kitchen stuff, plus a laundry basket filled with a load of (probably) useless stuff.

Other than that I've got 2 x large suitcases of clothes, 2 large suitcases of clothes and 1 with duvet covers, sheets, pillowcases and shoes in, two rucksacks with shoes in, two holdalls with yet more clothes in, a laptop bag and a holdall for my consoles and TV.

And I guess I'll just chuck my duvet and pillows wherever there's room in the car...
Thankfully my dad is driving me up and he has a large car with a roof rack...gonna need it. I think I packed too many clothes.
Original post by lou_100
I'm guessing you're male :laugh:. For me it would also be all my shoes and makeup and hair bits. You've forgotten all bedding unless you're an international student, towels and bathroom toiletries, a couple plates/cutlery bits and stuff like tin/cap opener, basic food bits to start off, washing/laundry kit.

Oh wow... I forgot a lot of things! Luckiliy mum comes to the rescue once again :wink:. we went to ikea the other day and got some kitchen bits and bedding. I think the plan is to go and buy some food once we get up there so all good on that front :smile:
Reply 51
Going by car with my older brother. 1 large suitcase, 2 large boxes and 3 small/medium boxes. I will also probably take a few bags of groceries.
My boyfriend is taking me and our car is lowered ( cause its reem) so ive got a van to take my stuff down in. I've got a huge suitcase and like 7 boxes. Two of the boxes have food in to save money. Anyone else taking loads of stuff ????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bringing half a suitcase.
Travelling by cat.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Bringing half a suitcase.
Travelling by cat.

Typo, or awesome travel method? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
Typo, or awesome travel method? :hmmm:

I'll be the first to admit, you do get scratches.
But it's by far the best way to travel in my experience.

A close second is the age-old hare-and-tortoise combination.
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I'll be the first to admit, you do get scratches.
But it's by far the best way to travel in my experience.

A close second is the age-old hare-and-tortoise combination.

I imagine the latter would take a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Leaving for my second year on Saturday, taking one suitcase full of clothes, 5 boxes of stuff, 4 bin bags full of clothes, a tv and a leather chair :tongue: remarkably, it's less than I took with me for first year :smile: And I'm going by car.
Original post by shadowdweller
I imagine the latter would take a while.

It's alright when the hare's going.
But when she falls asleep and you have to get the tortoise out, progress is slow but at least you're still moving.

I wish people would stop putting finishing lines where they expect the tortoise to be just before the hare wakes up though :rant:
how much suitcases? mate i'd be worried if you were studying english at your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending