The Student Room Group

Um....so I just Had a Chicken kebab. How many calories?

I've been getting stupid numbers like 200 calories but its impossible.

I had a chicken shish kebab with no chilli and no garlic sauce and loads of salad. But when I was eating the wrap some juice poured and it had droplets of some oil which I think were from the cabbage (which they didn't put loads of).

Would I be correct in thinking that it's around 600 calories? Hence it was shish so the chicken was roasted, then I had absolutely no sauce but I had salad and I think that the oil probably came from the cabbage (which I didn't have loads of).

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who cares...? Not to be rude or whatever but you had a kebab, not the healthiest of things but it's not like you're eating it all the time.... Stop worrying about calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Paralove
Who cares...? Not to be rude or whatever but you had a kebab, not the healthiest of things but it's not like you're eating it all the time.... Stop worrying about calories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. But I am on myfitnesspal and I just wanted to log the calories I ate. Plus I had the grilled chicken with no sauce so I would think it was a bit healthier than normal.
Just run it off. **** calories eat sleep exercise and enjoy life.
Reply 4
Original post by blueray
Just run it off. **** calories eat sleep exercise and enjoy life.

l do exercise everyday (I burn around 570 calories). But I'm on a diet and I'd like to stick to at least 1,400 calories per day.

Maybe I'd just add 30 minutes more exercise.
Original post by Bally2
l do exercise everyday (I burn around 570 calories). But I'm on a diet and I'd like to stick to at least 1,400 calories per day.

Maybe I'd just add 30 minutes more exercise.

Yeah :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you. :smile:
Reply 7
Well it's definately not 200 calories, it'll be more than that. Chicken is 175 calories per 100g plus any seasoning it had in it. I'm guessing you had about 300g of chicken (seems a likely amount looking at photos) so that's more like 525 calories. That's still not very much though, i've had sandwiches with more calories than that.
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
Well it's definately not 200 calories, it'll be more than that. Chicken is 175 calories per 100g plus any seasoning it had in it. I'm guessing you had about 300g of chicken (seems a likely amount looking at photos) so that's more like 525 calories. That's still not very much though, i've had sandwiches with more calories than that.

Thanks!
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

WRONG

healthy eating is mostly a farse, and the total number of calories is ultimately more important than where those calories are coming from if you're wanting to lose weight
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by HFerguson
WRONG

healthy eating is mostly a farse, and the total number of calories is ultimately more important than where those calories are coming from.

Well not really. You need a balanced diet of the different food groups for decent nutrition, more like calories are pointless. If you're getting your 2000/day from just chocolate then you obviously aren't healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
It depends on the quality of the kebab.
WRONG

healthy eating is mostly a farse, and the total number of calories is ultimately more important than where those calories are coming from.

That is complete poppycock of the worst kind. If I shoved my nose up John Prescott's wet bum hole I would not sniff worse faeces than what you have just stated.

There is such a big difference between getting your calories from junk food and getting your calories from healthy food attained from a balanced diet.

An avocado salad with salmon, chopped nuts, seeds and olive oil comes to around the same amount of calories as a Big Mac. Which one is healthier and more important to one's health?

tch.
Well not really. You need a balanced diet of the different food groups for decent nutrition, more like calories are pointless. If you're getting your 2000/day from just chocolate then you obviously aren't healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would lose weight if I ate 2000kcal worth of chocolate every day, because 2000 is less than my maintenance calories. Yes, you need a balanced diet, but GI and complex vs simple carbs is broscience, you don't need to worry about the complexity of carbs, and saturated fats are necessary in moderation. If you're looking to lose weight, calories are not pointless - if you don't burn more calories than you consume, you won't lose any weight whatsoever. OP wants to lose weight, ergo he needs to know how many calories he is consuming each day.

Original post by Kagutsuchi
That is complete poppycock of the worst kind. If I shoved my nose up John Prescott's wet bum hole I would not sniff worse faeces than what you have just stated.

There is such a big difference between getting your calories from junk food and getting your calories from healthy food attained from a balanced diet.

An avocado salad with salmon, chopped nuts, seeds and olive oil comes to around the same amount of calories as a Big Mac. Which one is healthier and more important to one's health?

tch.

That salad and the big mac probably have very similar amounts of fat; the big mac would contain more protein and is a complete amino acid profile, but it also probably has more trans fats. You can lose weight eating anything, so long as you burn more calories than you consume, so if someone is wanting to lose weight, then where their calories comes from doesn't really matter. Macronutrient profile, however, does play a role in change in body composition, which is not the same thing as weight loss. Everyone should aim to lose bodyfat and not muscle, in which case, where their calories come from does play a role. You can quite easily hit your macronutrient goals eating "junk" food.

Which of those food choices is more important to your psychological health? I'm not saying you should live off big macs, but if you want one, you should totally let yourself have one once in a while. You could eat one every day and stay relatively "healthy" and still lose weight.

I could hit my macronutrient goals eating junk food - the only things that would probably suffer are fibre and micronutrients, both of which can be supplemented.
I would lose weight if I ate 2000kcal worth of chocolate every day, because 2000 is less than my maintenance calories. Yes, you need a balanced diet, but GI and complex vs simple carbs is broscience, you don't need to worry about the complexity of carbs, and saturated fats are necessary in moderation. If you're looking to lose weight, calories are not pointless - if you don't burn more calories than you consume, you won't lose any weight whatsoever. OP wants to lose weight, ergo he needs to know how many calories he is consuming each day.

That salad and the big mac probably have very similar amounts of fat; the big mac would contain more protein and is a complete amino acid profile, but it also probably has more trans fats. You can lose weight eating anything, so long as you burn more calories than you consume, so if someone is wanting to lose weight, then where their calories comes from doesn't really matter. Macronutrient profile, however, does play a role in change in body composition, which is not the same thing as weight loss. Everyone should aim to lose bodyfat and not muscle, in which case, where their calories come from does play a role. You can quite easily hit your macronutrient goals eating "junk" food.

Which of those food choices is more important to your psychological health? I'm not saying you should live off big macs, but if you want one, you should totally let yourself have one once in a while. You could eat one every day and stay relatively "healthy" and still lose weight.

I could hit my macronutrient goals eating junk food - the only things that would probably suffer are fibre and micronutrients, both of which can be supplemented.

This is pointless to debate about now because you changed your initial quote and added "if you're looking to lose weight".

Of course you'd lose weight if you burn off more calories than you put in regardless of the calorie source. However, to attain a healthy body with energy, you need a balanced diet of appropriate nutrients, vitamins, fiber and other essentials. To stuff your face with whatever crap which comes by with the mindset that healthy eating is a farce and if the amount of exercise burns off the calorie intake then everything is okay is completely absurd.

I'm not saying you can't eat a big mac - I enjoy indulging a good cake every now and again - but you said "healthy eating is mostly a farce" which is completely wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Don't assume anything.
Men's Fitness UK says its actually 155 calories but there's like 1.7g saturated fat in the dish :eek: !

It has been perceived since the 1950s that saturated fat is fat that isn't absorbed by your body and its what clogs your arteries and gives you a heart attack.

It's like the least healthiest of fats. So you wouldnt be too far off from your fatty value estimate :smile:. Once in a while having a shish kebab is obvs. alrite :yy: !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol this is me everyday. I eat kebabs and burgers often at lunch. At home I eat curries with god knows how much ingredients. Calories? No chance of counting those.

You had one kebab. Lighten up. The main things to watch are the scales and the mirror (+ lifting stats if you lift). Guesstimate it because it won't make much difference over the week.

Brb going to pick up my BBQ steak, chips and nuggets. Serious :awesome: I sound like a lard ass...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I'd say about tree fiddy
Reply 19
Original post by Bally2

Would I be correct in thinking that it's around 600 calories?

Hiya! I'm on MFP, too, so I understand the concern when trying to add it in correctly. It's all going to depend on which size kebab you got. I highly suggest you get a scale for your kitchen! I weighed the chicken in the small kebab and it came up 129 grams. Now, if you believe wiki about the calories in chicken breasts that would be 223.6 calories. I nixed the onion and pepper which brought my salad to 22.5 calories but I added salad dressing and nixed the pitta so my bottom line was 336. You can't assume anything is a certain weight or it's the same at any other take-away. Gotta get yourself a scale.

Measure twice cut once :smile:

Latest