The Student Room Group

What Universities guarantee accomodation to returning students?

Can you give me a full list of universities please that guarantee accommodation for all your years at University?I don't want to apply for Universities in UCAS 2015 that I might not be able to get accommodation for all years.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you really gonna pick your universities based on the fact whether they guarantee you an accommodation during your studies? You can always go into private halls or share a house.

But I know that in York, if you apply early you can get a room for all years of your studies. I know quite a number of students who managed to do so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Very few. I don't actually know of any that guarantee accomadation for all three years in halls. This is not usual practise, and for most city based universities would be basically impossible. Some universities do offer a limited number of spaces in halls for returning students- mostly those that are campus based and a bit more "in the country". Anyway, if any exist, you'd be massively limiting your prospective choices. Living in a shared house is not that bad.

An alternative might be living in private halls. While these are more expensive, they are usually happy to let to students for all three years.

Can I ask why you're asking? If you have any additional needs, then this might change things.
Not many will as there simply isn't the space. Universities will have different policies but in general only 1st year is guaranteed but if you apply early you can usually get a place in halls as a returning student. If you have trouble finding accommodation any university should have some form of student services department that can help.
Reply 4
Original post by Dalek1099
Can you give me a full list of universities please that guarantee accommodation for all your years at University?I don't want to apply for Universities in UCAS 2015 that I might not be able to get accommodation for all years.

oxford and cambridge are the only ones i know. most dont have space for everyone to stay in halls and most students would rather move into a house in 2nd year onwards.
Original post by jelly1000
oxford and cambridge are the only ones i know. most dont have space for everyone to stay in halls and most students would rather move into a house in 2nd year onwards.

Oxford doesn't, only Cambridge.
I think some colleges at Durham did, but not too sure...
OP: pretty much all universities will only be able to guarantee first year accommodation, and it's often cheaper/ more fun/ a good 'life experience' etc. to live out for at least one year of your degree..
Reply 6
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Oxford doesn't, only Cambridge.
I think some colleges at Durham did, but not too sure...
OP: pretty much all universities will only be able to guarantee first year accommodation, and it's often cheaper/ more fun/ a good 'life experience' etc. to live out for at least one year of your degree..

I don't want to waste a year of a degree to find out that I can't get accommodation for the 2nd year and then I would have to go home and apply for another degree.I am not a prodigy in organisation probably an idiot-I seemed to be the only person who got lost on Induction Day at the college.Going away from home would be an immense organisational challenge one that I'm not sure I'm capable of but organising accommodation myself would be impossible-I'm not that arrogant.
Reply 7
I don't want to waste a year of a degree to find out that I can't get accommodation for the 2nd year and then I would have to go home and apply for another degree.I am not a prodigy in organisation probably an idiot-I seemed to be the only person who got lost on Induction Day at the college.Going away from home would be an immense organisational challenge one that I'm not sure I'm capable of but organising accommodation myself would be impossible-I'm not that arrogant.

so you want to live at home forever? if you want to move out its up to you to organise things
Manchester doesn't guarantee it, unless you're an international but in practice there's always enough space for returning students.

But if you can organise accommodation then I'm pretty sure you've got bigger problems than that. It's not difficult, and because you'll do it with a group of friends, you can all muddle through together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wouldn't have to go home..? You're being ridiculous. Sorting out private accommodation really isn't impossible. You'll be doing it with some friends anyway so you wouldn't even necessarily have to be the one who sorts out paperwork. That said, Cambridge does guarantee accommodation throughout any undergraduate course. (But you still have to go through the process of picking your room and paying rent... do you think you're up to that???)
I'd avoid Warwick then, because I'm pretty sure when I was looking round there that someone said it's very rare that they let second years back into halls because they want them to go out and find a house somewhere. I think most universities (Oxford and Cambridge aside) only guarantee accommodation in halls to first years and after that it depends whether they have rooms left.

There will always be somewhere for you to live while you're at university, whether it be halls (university or private) or private housing. If you can't get back into halls for subsequent years and you haven't found people you want to get a house with, there are always people looking for someone to fill a room in their house. It's always a risk because you probably don't know the people, but it's better to have somewhere to live than nowhere to live.

You say your organisational skills are rubbish OP, but if you move out of home for university and you have to do pretty much everything for yourself, you can soon learn to be organised.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Being nervous about accommodation is entirely understandable and a worry is a worry and shouldn't be dismissed as irrelevant because it matters to YOU.

Like some contributors have said some unis although not able to guarantee accommodation can in practice give it because a large number of returners choose not to live in halls. Maybe there is the worry that you won't make friends who you can share with or you can't get into a share group early enough (some places need to be reserving good private accommodation for the following academic year in the first term of the current one).

Do remember that you get support from your uni accommodation office who will regularly be faced with people sharing your fears. Even when it comes to private landlords accommodation offices will go through your contracts and help you through the process, they even have lists of approved and blacklisted landlords. Don't be afraid to talk to your mentors and those responsible for your pastoral care , there won't be a problem they haven't encountered before.

I don't understand what your problem is...
The vast majority of students are able to find private accommodation for their 2nd/ 3rd year, in your first year you are usually guaranteed accommodation because it would be a lot of hassle to arrange private accommodation if you have never been to the city before/ got in through clearing so need to organise it at short notice. However, once you have started your degree your university will almost certainly have an accommodation office you can speak to for advice, you will have time to make a group of friends who you would be willing to share a house with, and you will have loads of time to sort things out. After being there for a year you will know the area well enough to judge where the best place is to live, easily look around potential houses, and compare standard prices. If you really can't find anywhere to live, your uni may still be able to offer you accommodation in halls anyway - it's just not guaranteed.
If you are picking your university choice based upon where you will be guaranteed accommodation you will not be able to fill up your 5 spaces on your UCAS form, and could end up without a university to go to at all.

Well I have dyspraxia, generalized anxiety disorder and depression and so I have pretty bad organisation skills plus I hate talking to any sort of organisation/landlady/stranger. I'm not saying this to belittle your worries (and of course you may have similar conditions that are hindering you) but if I can do it I'm sure you can :smile:

You did your UCAS application by yourself and you clearly feel up to moving into student accommodation which is a big organisational undertaking by itself so I think your underestimating your own abilities.

Student services WILL help you if you're worried, that's their job! Also you'll meet some friends in first year who can help you out, most likely one will be super organised and know everything about house hunting at your uni before christmas break :P. For many students the first time they really have to sort private accommodation for themselves is the end of first year so lots of people will be in the same boat as you: confused and worried. Older students can help and are often great sources of advice.

Most universities will not let you drop out just because you can't find a place to live they would rather help you find somewhere either because they actually care about student welfare or they just don't want high drop out rates. Either way they'll help you if you ask.
There will be support available for second year students struggling to find accomadation.

I still think you best bet would be to stay in private halls where it is easy to stay on for another year or two. They will often let you leave things over the summer, as well, unlike university halls, where you will often be expected to move out for the summer break.

Are you sure you're ready for university? If you think you are going to find it this much of a challenge, would it not be best to take a gap year, which you could spend doing something to build your confidence- like working and doing a bit of travelling. This might make university seem less daunting. There's no shame in admitting you aren't ready yet, and applying for deffered entry instead.
Reply 15
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
There will be support available for second year students struggling to find accomadation.

I still think you best bet would be to stay in private halls where it is easy to stay on for another year or two. They will often let you leave things over the summer, as well, unlike university halls, where you will often be expected to move out for the summer break.

Are you sure you're ready for university? If you think you are going to find it this much of a challenge, would it not be best to take a gap year, which you could spend doing something to build your confidence- like working and doing a bit of travelling. This might make university seem less daunting. There's no shame in admitting you aren't ready yet, and applying for deffered entry instead.

I've noticed that OP doesn't want to apply till 2015 so they have time to grow in confidence anyway. If it's a slightly younger student the fears are a little more understandable.
Original post by Folion
I've noticed that OP doesn't want to apply till 2015 so they have time to grow in confidence anyway. If it's a slightly younger student the fears are a little more understandable.

Oh, yeah, I totally missed that. If OP is only 16 then hopefully he will be ready to move out by the time he is ready to apply.

Oxbridge certainly do.
Original post by Oxbridge Pride
Oxbridge certainly do.

Actually, only some Oxford colleges do.
I think Loughborough offer accommodation for all years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending