The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York freshers for mature students

Hi little confused on what freshers week can offer me.

Don't get me wrong the none stop drinking, becoming best mates for life with your roomies sounds awesome; but I'm 26 I've got 2 daughters and own a husband, and ill be living at my home and travelling.

What can freshers week offer me? I'm not going to be out round York till 6am waking up in halls with a traffic cone duck taped to my head (unless planned well in ahead!)

My life consists of watching Disney channel and the artistic masterpiece that is teen beach movie....

Also are the colleges for the young, free and single students? They look great but what can I gain from them when Ill be travelling back home at 5.30 everyday and not doing a sport!

Any advice is great as York website has hardly any information for student who have families :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by amybim

Don't get me wrong the none stop drinking, becoming best mates for life with your roomies sounds awesome; but I'm 26 I've got 2 daughters and own a husband, and ill be living at my home and travelling.

What can freshers week offer me? I'm not going to be out round York till 6am waking up in halls with a traffic cone duck taped to my head (unless planned well in ahead!)

My life consists of watching Disney channel and the artistic masterpiece that is teen beach movie....

Also are the colleges for the young, free and single students? They look great but what can I gain from them when Ill be travelling back home at 5.30 everyday and not doing a sport!

Any advice is great as York website has hardly any information for student who have families :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a mature student so don't know much about what the college can offer. But the college events are supposed to go up this coming week apparently. So there will be more events than the 3 available at the moment, which don't included getting drunk. Also the societies have a mixture of ages they're on the YUSU website. There's literally a society for everything.
University of York
York
Reply 2
That's good to know, all the internet tells me is that it's best week of your life for partying....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by amybim

Freshers' week is mostly social mixers, but there are also a lot of events designed to help you learn your way around the campus, the city, and your department. YUSU has several events specific to mature students, so be sure to go along!
I'm currently a postgraduate student, and I'm sticking around again (with my soon-to-be wife!) for a PhD, and honestly, I've found student societies and my course-mates to be the main sources of social interaction. It sounds like you might be busy enough with your family, however!

Original post by amybim

Posted from TSR Mobile

For non-residents, colleges tend to be places to go to and eat, get coffee, etc in between seminars and lecturers, whether that's in the JCR or the college restaurant/bar. They're also the home of a large number of sports societies, and have other facilities which differ from college to college.
Reply 4
Freshers isn't all about going on crazy ones unless you want to. I mean you could just go to Live and Loud and comedy night, drink a bit but just chill. Also there's the YUSU freshers fair and college freshers fair so you can get free stuff and sign up to clubs / societies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending