The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Will LSE grant me a deferal?

I was accepted for the MSc in Politcs and Communications. However, I was recently offered a full-time job in Washington DC at a communications and public affairs firm with offices all over the world. They are heavily involved in public relations for governments, NGOs, and multinational corporations.

So, I have decided to request a deferal for one-yeay at LSE. The website states that my deferal request is "under consideration by the department." I should hear in a week or so.

My question: Is it likely I will be able to defer? Does anyone have any experience defering (especially the Media@LSE department)? I would think the opportunity to work in a public affairs firm in Washington would be a good experience and, therefore, a good reason to defer enrollment.

Thoughts?
Let me just gaze into my crystal ball... :wink:

Seriously though, it sounds like you have a good reason and plenty of constructive things to do in your proposed gap year, so I would say you have a strong case. Nobody here, barring a member who's a LSE admissions offer, could possibly answer your question. :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I know. I'm not looking for an answer. I'm looking for someone who has had the same experience to see if they had a similar situation and were granted a deferment.
Reply 3
you may have already heard your answer....but here was my experience:

I was accepted for Sept. 2005 entrance into the media@lse program for a Media & Communications masters. I was planning on going, but my family was affected by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005 and I decided to defer for a year to save more money. It just wasn’t the right time for me to move to London. Financial difficulties and the desire to gain more work experience before studying at the postgrad level were my reasons for deferment. I was granted a deferment, but I’m not sure how long it took, - maybe a month.

I ended up also working at a PR agency in DC, and it was a great experience. I turned down my offer for 2006 entrance because of job opportunities, but I am reapplying for 2007 entrance.

If you don’t mind me asking, where will you be working? I had such a good time in DC. I worked for APCO and loved it great place to work.

Good luck with everything, hope you get your deferment and maybe I’ll see you there next year.
I think it should be fine, i remember at one of the open days we where told that if your in doubt enter for this year because if you change your mind you can easily be defered to the next year but if you are defered we cant guarntee to fit you in this year if you change your mind.
Reply 5
Were you granted a deferral? I was accepted to the MSc History of International Relations but I recently found out about a medical condition that will require treatment for the next 8 months--which I won't be able to afford to do coming back and forth between NY and London. An extra year on the job at CNN where I work will allow me to defray financial costs for the education+treatment too. Do you think they will grant me a deferral on those grounds?

Also did you write a formal letter requesting a deferral or was that box in their

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending