The Student Room Group

Politics/IR Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Words
Oh right, would you say it's more countryside-like or city-like?

Countryside-like but it's really near to big cities too which is why I like it!
I'm applying for different pol courses at different unis.

I'm applying to:
Leeds (pol and parliamentary studies)
Birmingham (pol sci, ir and year abroad)
Southampton (pol and ir)
Sussex (pol and ir)
Nottingham (pol)

Anyone else applying for the same Leeds course??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Current Politics student at Nottingham if anyone has any questions about the course or university.
Original post by AverageGenius
I'm applying for different pol courses at different unis.

I'm applying to:
Leeds (pol and parliamentary studies)
Birmingham (pol sci, ir and year abroad)
Southampton (pol and ir)
Sussex (pol and ir)
Nottingham (pol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I was keen on it anyway but I went to the open day and Prof. Kevin Theakston talked my ear off in a 1-2-1 and I'm now absolutely besotted with the PPS course!
Reply 64
I've decided to apply to:

Southampton
Birmingham
Surrey
Nottingham Trent
Loughborough

All for IR. Good luck everyone.
Original post by StretfordEnd
Yep, I was keen on it anyway but I went to the open day and Prof. Kevin Theakston talked my ear off in a 1-2-1 and I'm now absolutely besotted with the PPS course!

Did he put you off it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm also applying for Politics/IR. I sent my application of the 4th of October 2013, and all my Unis have acknowledged the application apart from Warwick.

I've applied for:
Brimingham International Relations and Political Science
Bristol Politics and International Relations
Manchester Politics and International Relations
Nottingham International Relations
Warwick Politics and International Studies

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 67
I've applied for Politics at Lincoln, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth and Chester but tbh I'm only interested in going to Lincoln.
Did he put you off it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noooo, the opposite! I was already keen on the course but when I had a one to one chat with Prof. Theakston (and a professor of political theory - can't remember his name, oops) and it reinforced my believe that PPS was deffo the talk for me.

That said, in the 'main' talk/lecture on Politics & IR I think he did put a few people off PPS because in not so many words he said that if you haven't got a strong extra curricular 'portfolio' you might as well forget about PPS.

Basically, Leeds' view is that they differentiate between straight politics students and students capable/suitable of PPS based on the passion and enthusiasm they have for the political, since the PPS degree is very much aimed at people wanting a route into public office. For that reason, the first thing they look at is involvement in school/college government, work experience with an MP, involvement in an official 'cause' of some type and even charity work (provided it went beyond something like basic fundraising).

I may have read into what he was saying too intently but the main things I took away from the open day were:

- If you have the grades and your PS isn't tosh, you'll get the offers for straight politics or politics joint honours
- For PPS grades won't ever be enough and you def. need to show something 'more'.
Reply 69
Hi im applying to:

Durham Politics AAA
Exeter PIR AAA
York P with IR AAB
RHUL PIR AAB
Cardiff PIR ABB

Good luck all!
Reply 70

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! I'm applying to: Leeds (PPS), Edinburgh (Politics & Social Policy), LSE (Social Policy w/ Govt), Exeter (Pol&IR), Birmingham (Politics & Social Policy).
What universities did you/are you applying to and why did you end up picking the universities and the course?

:biggrin:
Applying to:

Nottingham (MSci International Relations & Global Issues)
Nottingham (International Relations)
Loughborough (International Relations)
Newcastle (Politics & Sociology)
Nottingham Trent (International Relations & Spanish)

Good Luck with all your applications!
:smile:
Reply 74
Hey everyone :-)

Applying to:

Nottingham: International Relations and Global Issues MSci
Leeds: Politics & Parliamentary Studies
Loughborough: Politics with a minor (Year abroad)
Goldsmiths: Politics
Oxford Brookes: Politics and International Relations

Good luck everyone with your applications
Reply 75
Has anyone heard anything yet?
Reply 76
Original post by eepm
Has anyone heard anything yet?

Yeah, I got my first offer from Lancaster last week.:smile: My other choices are LSE (Government), UCL (European Social and Polital Studies), KCL (International Politics), Sheffield (Politics). Still waiting for the others... Good luck to everyone!!!
Reply 77
I've got offers now from Sheffield and Glasgow :smile:. Still waiting on Edinburgh and Newcastle, anyone heard from them yet?
Reply 78
Just got an offer from Leeds about 20 minutes ago :biggrin:
Reply 79
Hey guys, sorry for interfering here, but can you just tell me the possibility of getting in these universities for IR.

-GCSE
2A*s 7As 2Bs

-As level:
Economics A
Psychology A
Eng Lit A

Im applyying to
LSE
Kings College
Saint Andrews
Sussex
Queen Mary.