The Student Room Group

Preference for certain types of international applicants?

Cardiff's admission's policy states the following: "Preference is therefore given to applicants from countries that do not have sufficient places in their own medical schools to meet the needs of that country."

Is this the case for all medical schools? This is actually the first time I've come across this. I've lived outside of my home country all my life and because I can't read or write in my language, I can't go back to my home country and study there. To go to medical school where I currently live, I'd have to pay just as much as I'd pay if I went to the UK. The medical schools here are pretty bad in comparison to the UK which is why I've decided to apply there (hopefully everything works out). If other medical schools give preference to applicants fitting the above criteria, wouldn't that mean I have no chance of getting an interview/offer? I'm going to email a few medical schools just to make sure, but I was hoping someone on here could help.
Reply 1
Original post by cat-lover
Cardiff's admission's policy states the following: "Preference is therefore given to applicants from countries that do not have sufficient places in their own medical schools to meet the needs of that country."

Is this the case for all medical schools? This is actually the first time I've come across this. I've lived outside of my home country all my life and because I can't read or write in my language, I can't go back to my home country and study there. To go to medical school where I currently live, I'd have to pay just as much as I'd pay if I went to the UK. The medical schools here are pretty bad in comparison to the UK which is why I've decided to apply there (hopefully everything works out). If other medical schools give preference to applicants fitting the above criteria, wouldn't that mean I have no chance of getting an interview/offer? I'm going to email a few medical schools just to make sure, but I was hoping someone on here could help.

for cardiff, I suppose it would depend on the country you originate from (ie. have passport from) and whether it is classed as "not having enough places for its need", so specifics would help.

And I have head that Manchester do the same , although I am not sure so don't quote me on that
Reply 2
Original post by star10159
for cardiff, I suppose it would depend on the country you originate from (ie. have passport from) and whether it is classed as "not having enough places for its need", so specifics would help.

And I have head that Manchester do the same , although I am not sure so don't quote me on that

Oops, just noticed you quoted me. :tongue:

I'll PM you specifics (if you want). I got replies from both St. George's and Aberdeen stating that they don't give preference to a certain type so I guess it was just a Cardiff thing.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply