The Student Room Group

Is declaring my AS modules a good idea?

Basically, I'm looking to apply to Oxford for biomedical sciences next year. I'm filling out my UCAS application and I'm unsure whether to declare the results of my individual modules because they're pretty average...

Biology - AAA - A
Chemistry - ABA - A
Physics - ACA - B
Maths - ACB - B

Obviously I'd really like to show biology and chemistry, but it must look very suspicious to declare some but not others ...

And in all honesty, I'm not sure if my AS grades are good enough for Oxford anyway! I've got 9A*s and a B at GCSE which I'm hoping will at least get me an interview with a good BMAT score ...

tl;dr = Have I got any chance with Oxford at all, or is that just a waste of an option? :redface:

I know there are lots of these posts about but any answers would be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
Realistically, if you have a food BMAT score and a great personal statement, you still have a chance but I know people who to all as at as and got rejected for boomed at Oxford. It is hard, remember it is the best university or one of anyway and so you need to be having as in every module basically for such a competitive subject. Good luk anyway!
Reply 2
So are you saying that just putting AABB for my AS results is a better idea, or just not to bother applying? My predictions are A*AA for next year. Thanks :redface:
Original post by Silvertongue_
Basically, I'm looking to apply to Oxford for biomedical sciences next year. I'm filling out my UCAS application and I'm unsure whether to declare the results of my individual modules because they're pretty average...

Biology - AAA - A
Chemistry - ABA - A
Physics - ACA - B
Maths - ACB - B

Obviously I'd really like to show biology and chemistry, but it must look very suspicious to declare some but not others ...

And in all honesty, I'm not sure if my AS grades are good enough for Oxford anyway! I've got 9A*s and a B at GCSE which I'm hoping will at least get me an interview with a good BMAT score ...

tl;dr = Have I got any chance with Oxford at all, or is that just a waste of an option? :redface:

I know there are lots of these posts about but any answers would be very much appreciated!

Your results shouldn't stop you from making an application and getting an offer, but they are weaker than a typical applicant. I would suggest just putting AABB (since the C grades in Physics and Maths don't look great, plus the B in Chemistry) and maybe ask your tutor to mention in their reference that 2/3 of of your Physics results were As and that you got one A in Maths.

Remember that Maths isn't something you get to leave behind when you start at university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending