The Student Room Group

Should I re-sit the year?

I got 2Bs and 2Cs at AS, is it too much to ask to get back to AAB or ABB next year and should I re-sit AS?
Original post by cbmf1996
I got 2Bs and 2Cs at AS, is it too much to ask to get back to AAB or ABB next year and should I re-sit AS?

I got BBBC but one B was only just a B (like on the border, 210/300), so almost the same . I'm just going to retake as many modules as possible next year and hope for the best, then if necessary will take a gap year or retake year 13 afterwards for more retakes if that helps (at least you're not alone!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by furryface12
I got BBBC but one B was only just a B (like on the border, 210/300), so almost the same . I'm just going to retake as many modules as possible next year and hope for the best, then if necessary will take a gap year or retake year 13 afterwards for more retakes if that helps (at least you're not alone!) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well one of my Cs is 5 off a B, so we are very similar! I'm just worrying because school is close probably! im also worrying because the subject im thinking of dropping is one of the Bs but is the hardest probably and with the most modules so im confused. You think i should carry on into A2?
Reply 3

I wouldnt say thats terrible by any means. I would probably resit 1 from each subject, maybe 2 if its really a drag. Forget about 1 of the C's completely and focus on your 3 core A2 subjects.
However its very dependent on the subjects, as if one of your B grade subjects is in a heavy memorising subject, i would probably take the B and hope to do best at A2. Other application subjects like Maths, its probably best to retake a couple of AS exams as you will find them much more easy.
you guys are worrying to much , Ive just fnished As s and yes im pretty thick but I worked my balls off and got CDD , so with a bit more hard work next year , get that up to BBC / BCC and yes sorted will get into Newcastle for agri , ox brookes for enviormental science ............ chill out , do your exams , do your best , have a smashing gap year and please don't go back into school , when u finish school , your done , go party !!!!!! hashtag yolo ......... just had to say that hahah
Well one of my Cs is 5 off a B, so we are very similar! I'm just worrying because school is close probably! im also worrying because the subject im thinking of dropping is one of the Bs but is the hardest probably and with the most modules so im confused. You think i should carry on into A2?

I want to drop the one that was only just a B, so we are very similar! I think you should, they're not horrendous grades by any means- just work out what you did wrong this year (easier said than done, I don't think I can work much harder!) and try your best, you can always repeat year 13 instead.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one nervous for year 13- the while applying to universities thing is terrifying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I got the same as you this time last year and now I have AAB, I did this within my two years at college. It does depend on what subjects you do to some extent, but if you're willing to work hard it's possible. I did all humanities - one of my As came through doing a resit but for the other 2, well generally all of them, I just asked for lots of feedback from my teachers and used that to improve and work really hard this year.

What's your ums? I can't tell you if you're capable of getting ABB but I could give you an idea of how close you are depending on subjects.

If it's too stressful to retake you could resit your year but you will still have to submit the grades you have into ucas if they get cashed in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
It depends what course and what university you are thinking off. Your AS results are great. What were your UMS scores in each of them?
Reply 8

I got BDE for AS first time. Just retake one or two modules in your weaker subjects and youl be fine. Carry on to A2 those grades you achieved are fine. I worked realy hard and brought my grades up to ABB for Alevels. Just work really hard next year coupled with 1 or 2 resits. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nespix
I got the same as you this time last year and now I have AAB, I did this within my two years at college. It does depend on what subjects you do to some extent, but if you're willing to work hard it's possible. I did all humanities - one of my As came through doing a resit but for the other 2, well generally all of them, I just asked for lots of feedback from my teachers and used that to improve and work really hard this year.

What's your ums? I can't tell you if you're capable of getting ABB but I could give you an idea of how close you are depending on subjects.

If it's too stressful to retake you could resit your year but you will still have to submit the grades you have into ucas if they get cashed in.

I got 218ums in maths, 223ums in chemistry, 155ums in french which is 5 off a B, and 193ums in Biology- so 2 mid Bs a high C and a lowish C. I think i want to apply for a business degree and drop biology now ive thought about it. thanks for all the advice.
Reply 10
I got 218ums in maths, 223ums in chemistry, 155ums in french which is 5 off a B, and 193ums in Biology- so 2 mid Bs a high C and a lowish C. I think i want to apply for a business degree and drop biology now ive thought about it. thanks for all the advice.

Sorry I'm a tad confused...I thought 155 ums was a B which was 5 ums off an A? I thought french was out of 200 ums? You could always retake that in Summer and just make sure you work really hard throughout this year to get your grade up. Just keep asking for loads of feedback from your teachers and hopefully you should be in with a good chance. Anyway I would definitely suggest dropping Biology and forgetting about it. Plenty of people get a C in their AS and it's no big deal. Don't bother retaking it or anything, just concentrate you efforts on your other subjects.

As for maths and chemistry, those are 2 pretty good, solid Bs. I would just keep those as they are. Sorry I can't be more of help with those, I don't have a lot of experience with maths/sciences.

For ucas, you could either apply this year to a mix of places ranging from ABB - BBC or you could take a gap year.
Reply 11
Original post by nespix
Sorry I'm a tad confused...I thought 155 ums was a B which was 5 ums off an A? I thought french was out of 200 ums? You could always retake that in Summer and just make sure you work really hard throughout this year to get your grade up. Just keep asking for loads of feedback from your teachers and hopefully you should be in with a good chance. Anyway I would definitely suggest dropping Biology and forgetting about it. Plenty of people get a C in their AS and it's no big deal. Don't bother retaking it or anything, just concentrate you efforts on your other subjects.

As for maths and chemistry, those are 2 pretty good, solid Bs. I would just keep those as they are. Sorry I can't be more of help with those, I don't have a lot of experience with maths/sciences.

For ucas, you could either apply this year to a mix of places ranging from ABB - BBC or you could take a gap year.

Sorry, whatever is 5 of a B! so 135 :smile: Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest