The Student Room Group

At my wits end :( Gap year problems

Hello everyone, I'm feeling really down at the moment and would really appreciate some advice... I recently moved back to England after spending the last 6 years living abroad. I was planning on going to Uni this year however, at the last minute I changed my mind and realised I want to pursue my dream of becoming a midwife. My A levels weren't terrible but they weren't the best and to improve my chances next year at going to Uni, I decided to take a gap year and gain some experience and get a job. I've applied for maybe over 200 jobs, had quite a few interviews and even got successful after one interview with a major train company however, my application for put on hold until further notice.... I live in a small town, about an hour away from any major city, so there aren't many businesses about. I've been applying for all sorts of jobs everywhere, I don't mind what or where I just need a job! I'm taking an access course online and got some volunteering work at a hospital about 30 mins away. I'm taking driving lessons at the minute and hope to pass my driving test soon but I feel like I'm just stuck in a vicious cycle :frown:. I can't find a job in my local area, signed up to the job centre and spend around three hours applying for jobs everyday! Been into all my local shops and businesses and handed my CV out to everyone! I'd saved up enough for a cheap car and insurance but I've looked at insurance for unemployed people and its around three times as much! If I had a car, I'd be able to find a job further away instead of relying on my family to take me! But I can't get the money to get car insurance to get a decent job because there isn't any jobs where I live! And the longer I'm not employed, the worst my chances are of finding a job! Sorry for the rant :frown: Just feeling so alone, sick and tired! Can't ask my parents (Not that I expect any money but advise and maybe help looking for jobs) because they still live abroad and I need to start earning some money to pay my grandparents rent too! Sometimes wish I would have just gone to Uni this year to study something stupid rather than wait to do what I really want to do!
Reply 1
Original post by Lauren333
Hello everyone, I'm feeling really down at the moment and would really appreciate some advice... I recently moved back to England after spending the last 6 years living abroad. I was planning on going to Uni this year however, at the last minute I changed my mind and realised I want to pursue my dream of becoming a midwife. My A levels weren't terrible but they weren't the best and to improve my chances next year at going to Uni, I decided to take a gap year and gain some experience and get a job. I've applied for maybe over 200 jobs, had quite a few interviews and even got successful after one interview with a major train company however, my application for put on hold until further notice.... I live in a small town, about an hour away from any major city, so there aren't many businesses about. I've been applying for all sorts of jobs everywhere, I don't mind what or where I just need a job! I'm taking an access course online and got some volunteering work at a hospital about 30 mins away. I'm taking driving lessons at the minute and hope to pass my driving test soon but I feel like I'm just stuck in a vicious cycle :frown:. I can't find a job in my local area, signed up to the job centre and spend around three hours applying for jobs everyday! Been into all my local shops and businesses and handed my CV out to everyone! I'd saved up enough for a cheap car and insurance but I've looked at insurance for unemployed people and its around three times as much! If I had a car, I'd be able to find a job further away instead of relying on my family to take me! But I can't get the money to get car insurance to get a decent job because there isn't any jobs where I live! And the longer I'm not employed, the worst my chances are of finding a job! Sorry for the rant :frown: Just feeling so alone, sick and tired! Can't ask my parents (Not that I expect any money but advise and maybe help looking for jobs) because they still live abroad and I need to start earning some money to pay my grandparents rent too! Sometimes wish I would have just gone to Uni this year to study something stupid rather than wait to do what I really want to do!

Well done for trying so hard! I would have mentally died after the applying for the first 50 jobs. You could try making fliers and post them into residential homes offering dog-walking, pet/babysitting, tutoring, cleaning etc. :smile:

You could look into au pairing either abroad or in England? I realise that would be difficult because of volunteering though.

If you want to vent feel free to PM and join a few of us on gap years here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2447597

Quick Reply

Latest