The Student Room Group

Best friend owes me money

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Orange s0da
This is how you get your money back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzKAut3sVrw

Hahahahaha! Ahhh, that put a smile on my face, thank you! I'll just turn into fat tony from the Simpsons *evil smirk* mostly because I really like his accent

Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heyitstommo
She earns £25 a month because its a morning paper round, we're only 16 to be fair with you.

I've been friends with her for 13 years, I thought that maybe if I laid down my pride and said "yeah I was a total dick but is this really worth ruining our friendship for?" Then maybe she might see reason.

She meant the absolute world to me, second behind my younger brother. I would've literally done anything for her, but now I see that she actually wouldn't have done the same for me unfortunately.

The thing is that I'm a really loyal friend, I try and be the best friend I can be because I've been treated so poorly in the past. But it never pays off like I hope it will. I've only got one friend who actually treats me like I treat them, and although I'm not "bezzies" with him, I can definitely see myself become close friends with him because he's on the same page as me. He treats me like his equal. In a non-romantic sense.

She's becoming absolutely pathetic over this and I can't stand her anymore. She's made me emotional and cynical, I don't deserve that after everything I did for her. The one time I stood up for myself and it lost me my best friend.

But I can leave now. I'm going to start college, learn from my mistakes and move on. The ball's in her court, and if she wants to talk, ill listen. But I most definitely won't be forgiving. Because I'm an absolute bitch, as she pointed out, and she's gonna learn the definition of it.

Thank you for your reply, it actually really helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, I was wrong to jump to conclusion, knowing nothing about you or your friend, so I can only apologize. As you say, the only option is to move on and forget that it ever happened, and if she ever wants to rekindle the friendship you had with her, she is free to make contact( i think this very very kind of you! ). If it ever comes to that point hopefully she pays you back whatever she owns you.

My advice to you is to ONLY lend what you can afford to lose so that way you won't feel bad about it. Or the other drastic option would be not to lend at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by kidomo
OK, I was wrong to jump to conclusion, knowing nothing about you or your friend, so I can only apologize. As you say, the only option is to move on and forget that it ever happened, and if she ever wants to rekindle the friendship you had with her, she is free to make contact( i think this very very kind of you! ). If it ever comes to that point hopefully she pays you back whatever she owns you.

You don't need to apologise! Sorry I made you feel as if you said something wrong.

This friendship obviously wasn't as strong as I believed, and it failed under testing like I failed my geography exam D:

Thank you so much for your replies, they honestly did help a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I'm gonna turn into a cynical distrusting bastard *cackle*

It's not so much that she was using me for my money, because half of the time it's me going "oh I'll pay for it and you can pay me back later!". It's just the pay me back later that she doesn't understand. She wants to get all the money she owes together before she pays off her debts, which ill be lucky to see before I die *eye roll*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I get what you mean:smile: I say you make distance and if she changes and realises her mistake its up to you to decide what to do :smile: but learn from this :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Blob :)
Yep I get what you mean:smile: I say you make distance and if she changes and realises her mistake its up to you to decide what to do :smile: but learn from this :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's the big plan! I've learnt from my mistakes. This has been a really useful lesson to me!

Thank you for your replies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Yeah that's the big plan! I've learnt from my mistakes. This has been a really useful lesson to me!

Thank you for your replies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey op you think you have it bad. I'm 16 have have about a grand in Inheritance from my gran in a savings account. Well I did untill my mum borrowed it with out asking. I now only have 100 left and she's saying she may not pay me back :frown:

In response to your issue 26 quid really isn't alot. Your friend does not deserve you so leave it and move on. I'm sorry your friend is being so ****ty
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Blob :)
You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually love the people on TSR you're all so lovely why didn't I find this website sooner!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Sammy Lanka
Hey op you think you have it bad. I'm 16 have have about a grand in Inheritance from my gran in a savings account. Well I'do untill my mum borrowed it with out asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't that illegal? Tell her to give it back or you'll let the authorities sort it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't that illegal? Tell her to give it back or you'll let the authorities sort it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda not illegal. She has joint control of the account cos I'm still underage

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to apologise! Sorry I made you feel as if you said something wrong.

This friendship obviously wasn't as strong as I believed, and it failed under testing like I failed my geography exam D:

Thank you so much for your replies, they honestly did help a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was completely wrong. I'm not shying away from that.

What i have seen so far, you sound like a very kind person, not the sort of person who would hurt their friends and I'm happy you're learning from your mistakes:smile:
Good luck with College! Here is hoping to better friends!
Reply 31
Kinda not illegal. She has joint control of the account cos I'm still underage

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bloody hell that sucks, man. Sorry to hear that. Have you spoke to her about it and told her that it's YOUR inheritance and that she shouldn't have stolen it, and if she has plans on repaying it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by kidomo
I was completely wrong. I'm not shying away from that.

What i have seen so far, you sound like a very kind person, not the sort of person who would hurt their friends and I'm happy you're learning from your mistakes:smile:

Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but I honestly don't see what you did wrong. Oops.

And thank you -blushing- I try to be a decent friend because the oldies always told me "treat others how you would want to be treated", seems like everybody else didn't get the memo because I've been ****ed over so many times.

I'm just trying to take this in stride; learn from my mistakes and mature as I do so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloody hell that sucks, man. Sorry to hear that. Have you spoke to her about it and told her that it's YOUR inheritance and that she shouldn't have stolen it, and if she has plans on repaying it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are kinda poor so there is no way she can pay it back. If she had have asked I would have said yes cos she genuinely did need it. Just pissed about the not asking thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
We are kinda poor so there is no way she can pay it back. If she had have asked I would have said yes cos she genuinely did need it. Just pissed about the not asking thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that makes more sense. Try talking to her about her not asking and why it's pissed you off. You shouldn't have to suffer because of it. Hope everything turns out okay, man, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah that makes more sense. Try talking to her about her not asking and why it's pissed you off. You shouldn't have to suffer because of it. Hope everything turns out okay, man, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh. Hope it works put with your friend too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Yeh. Hope it works put with your friend too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
I actually love the people on TSR you're all so lovely why didn't I find this website sooner!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha aw thanks but trust me give it some time.There is a lot more to see here...

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I hate people like that. I'd keep badgering her until she pays you back. It isn't fair at all that she is lying to you about not having money to pay you back - I think you should question this 'best friend'. Or even threaten to stop talking to her as a best friend would be determined to return your generous favour.
She earns £25 a month because its a morning paper round, we're only 16 to be fair with you.

I've been friends with her for 13 years, I thought that maybe if I laid down my pride and said "yeah I was a total dick but is this really worth ruining our friendship for?" Then maybe she might see reason.

People see money in different ways - which is why lending to friends is not a good idea

You have a number of choices

You could let this make you angry - angry with her/yourself - but you gain nothing

You could just breathe and let go - dial back your friendship with her but do not get angry/bitter - learn from it an simply move on

As someone else said - only ever lend money if you can afford to never see it again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending