The Student Room Group

Medicine - Further maths/EPQ/Early maths Dilemma..

So i did my maths AS-level early this year (certified in year 11)
I am a wannabe medic currently.

I emailed a fair few university's (after looking at the TSR wiki) about how they take Further maths.. just in case the wiki got it wrong...

I wanted to do this :
Year 11 - Maths(AS) - - - - -This is completed now ..
Year 12 - Maths (A2) FM(AS) Bio&Chem&Phys(AS)
Year 13 - FM(A2) AFM(AS) Bio/Chem/Phys(A2 - Only 2 )

but when i started to get replies from the universitys about how they would take this,and if i would meet the minimum requirements they said i wouldn't :frown:

most simply said that the A2 in Maths wouldnt count towards and offer as it wasnt sat in 2 years*
Most will only count FM AS level only ... let alone the A2 or AFM-AS

therefore only 2 of the 'Science-Sciences' will be considerable for an offer... and guess what you need 3 grades in almost any offers!

so .... i am in a bit of a dilemma ...

i now know that i need to take all 3 'Science-Sciences'.. to A2 which i dont mind
but i know that that would be too much work, with AFM AS as i would be self teaching ... , so i was thinking of maybe forgetting about AFM ... and doing this at A2 :

Year 13 - FM(A2) Bio/Chem/Phys(A2 - All )

that would mean i can mix up my modules a bit less but i have more time to do so ...

but now i am thinking about doing the EPQ as well ... which i find sooooo good!! after doing research on the whole thing!!

but my school only lets me do it in year 12 ... and i dont think you can do it privately (I wouldnt want to btw )

so i was thinking of this:

Year 12 - Maths (A2) FM(AS) Bio&Chem&Phys(AS) EPQ

now i know some will think that that is way too much .... but i knew i wanted to do a lot of amths in the summer holidays.... so i worked my ass off and self taught 4 modules : C3,C4,FP1 and S1
that means for year 12, in theory i will only be Learning these modules: M2,D1 -- in school...i purposely S-taught those modules to free up my A2 year

so a lot of my time in year 12 would be spent on Bio&Chem&Phys(AS) and the EPQ

Does that sound like a good plan or not ? - i need to explain it to my new head of maths .... and ask for special permission to do FM and the EPQ for next year ... grr

*In theory my modules are not planned as above for maths.... my new head of maths wants me to take C4 in Year 13 for some reason --- i need to talk to him properlly about this though ...

so my big question is basically - Is it too complicated ?
oh and is there any better way to fit it all in ?

btw ... i am too stubborn to let go of FM A2 ... because i was thinking of applying for oxford for maths as a 5th choice .... or warick ... but thats a long way off ...

So yeah .....

Ryan
Reply 1
Original post by Jatz07

I will pm you...gimmie a minute....
Reply 2
now is probably a good time to Bump

so yeah ... Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending