The Student Room Group

Psychology at Oxford?

Hi :smile:

I have been looking at both the 'Experimental Psychology' and also the 'Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics' at Oxford.
The subjects I will be studying at AS and A2 are Biology, English Literature, History, and Psychology, plus I will likely do an EPQ in the second year.
I got 3 A*'s and 9 A's at GCSE despite missing the majority of my GCSE years due to illness.

Which course would be recommended based on my a-level choices?
And do you think that by (fingers crossed!) achieving high AS grades and A2 the lack of A*s at GCSE will not matter?

Also, anyone who studied either of these courses, I would love to hear your experiences :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by erinrosep
Hi :smile:

I have been looking at both the 'Experimental Psychology' and also the 'Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics' at Oxford.
The subjects I will be studying at AS and A2 are Biology, English Literature, History, and Psychology, plus I will likely do an EPQ in the second year.
I got 3 A*'s and 9 A's at GCSE despite missing the majority of my GCSE years due to illness.

Which course would be recommended based on my a-level choices?
And do you think that by (fingers crossed!) achieving high AS grades and A2 the lack of A*s at GCSE will not matter?

Also, anyone who studied either of these courses, I would love to hear your experiences :smile:

Thank you!

Choose the course you prefer, not the one that fits your A-Levels best (your A-Levels fit both perfectly fine anyway) - you should not be choosing courses based on what's easiest to get into and if you are, you're going to Oxford for the wrong reasons.

If you had extended illness during exams, then I believe there are forms you fill out where you can mention things for special consideration (other people will know the specifics more). The fact you were ill might mean they place more emphasis on AS and interview/entrance-test performance.
Arguably, PPL is more versatile. Psychology is an incredibly popular degree and there are a glut of psychology grads right now - although, of course, doing an Oxford degree would make you more likely to get a psychologist job.

However, if you definitely want to be a clinical psychologist, do Psychology. Whilst you can get BPS accreditation from PPL if Psych constitutes 50% of your course, doing straight Experimental Psychology is likely your best bet in that situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending