The Student Room Group

A-level choices aimed for a Physics degree

removed
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd say do chemistry if you're up for the challenge as it includes some thermodynamics work that isn't covered in Physics, so it'll put you that little bit ahead that you need. Personally I find history and geography pretty boring so my opinion is probably biased.

But yes, taking chemistry will raise your chances of studying physics at any uni, simply because it's a harder topic and it's another science.
Reply 2
Original post by AlphaNick
But I mean will it affect your chances at Oxbridge?

Will the university look it and say "he should have done chemistry instead of history" if I were to aim for a Physics degree with Physics/Maths/FM/History instead of chemistry as a replacement for the fourth?

History is a very good subject and i very much doubt they will penalise you for that.

Have you looked at what the entry requirements state?
Chemistry might be useful to 'pick you up' if you don't get the best grades, but if you do well in all your subjects and have a decent range of Physics related extra-curriculars and such, you should be fine. History is a well-liked subject, and will help you maintain a good essay writing skill that many people who stick to the sciences fall short on.

Quick Reply

Latest