The Student Room Group

PPE degree with: Maths, History, Biology and Chemistry? Do I want econ?

I am aware that politics and philosophy at A-Level don't pose much of an advantage when applying for a PPE degree. On Oxford's website it says that maths and history are highly recommended, I read somewhere that like 95% of applicants have them both at A-Level.

I am 50/50 PPE vs. Biochemistry, so I want to take Biology and Chemistry to be safe. Most guys doing PPE take economics at A-Level, will the lack of an economics A-Level be of a disadvantage to me when applying and actually doing the degree?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Beta Phaggot
I am aware that politics and philosophy at A-Level don't pose much of an advantage when applying for a PPE degree. On Oxford's website it says that maths and history are highly recommended, I read somewhere that like 95% of applicants have them both at A-Level.

I am 50/50 PPE vs. Biochemistry, so I want to take Biology and Chemistry to be safe. Most guys doing PPE take economics at A-Level, will the lack of an economics A-Level be of a disadvantage to me when applying and actually doing the degree?

Thanks.

Its fine as Biology+Chemistry are very traditional subjects which require a lot of understanding, application and logic to get a good grade in. As long as you have a Maths a level, you will be fine for the economics part (As many schools dont even offer it).

History will show you are a very good essay writer, with great analytical and evaluative skills. Its almost as good, if not better than an economics a level from my view.
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Its fine as Biology+Chemistry are very traditional subjects which require a lot of understanding, application and logic to get a good grade in. As long as you have a Maths a level, you will be fine for the economics part (As many schools dont even offer it).

History will show you are a very good essay writer, with great analytical and evaluative skills. Its almost as good, if not better than an economics a level from my view.

Wow that's useful thanks you've reassured me, especially due to the fact that many schools don't even do Economics, that would be very unfair upon them. Also, the degree course teaches you the economics I'll be able to learn it anyway.

Will report back in 2 years with results.
Reply 3
Final bump before I start in 2 days :P
You don't need it, those A Level have a very good grounding and providing you get the grades/good personal statement/perform at interview etc then I'm sure you'll be fine.

As this is for Oxford, I'm not 100% sure of how they do things (as I didn't even bother applying) but if you put Manchester down as a choice for PPE then they do a module of Economics to catch you up if you didn't do it at A Level, not sure if they do it at Oxford though (I'd doubt it)
Reply 5
You should be fine with those 4 subjects. Only pick economics if you can definitely handle 5 subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by Namige
You should be fine with those 4 subjects. Only pick economics if you can definitely handle 5 subjects.

Well our school don't let us take 5 anyway :P
Reply 7
It's fine. You don't need Economics. Many schools don't offer it, so universities can't discriminate against people not having it.

Quick Reply