The Student Room Group

Art gcse sufferers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can't even begin to explain how rubbish I found art at gcse. I used to looooove art before and actually found myself to be really good at it until my art teacher gave me the least praise throughout the whole class and I tried so hard to please her! NO reassurance whatsoever when I began to struggle towards the end, all she said to me was, 'your courseworks not great' I spent 22 hours in two days on the whole of my coursework when I was told I was going to fail GCSE because of it, and then handed it the deadline day after pretty pleased and exhausted to just get a C at GCSE. So so hard to get an A* but hey you win some you loose some, Art just definitely wasn't for me at allllll.
Original post by yellowcopter
How did you manage to pick yourself up? :frown: I so just want to get GCSE Art over and DONE with, however I'm hovering around a high C/B. I just want to get it up to A, even if it's a low A.

My teacher said I've always been good at it, just confidence and actually doing work was an issue.

My A was low tbh... but my raw marks were decent imo :tongue:

Anyway:
Analyse everything
Find artists linking to anything and write about them
Show development

Your final piece doesn't even have to be amazing, just original and not crap.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My teacher said I've always been good at it, just confidence and actually doing work was an issue.

My A was low tbh... but my raw marks were decent imo :tongue:

Anyway:
Analyse everything
Find artists linking to anything and write about them
Show development

Your final piece doesn't even have to be amazing, just original and not crap.

My teacher says I can easily pass GCSE Art with an A I'm just too lazy. He also said it would be a stupid idea for me to do Art A-Level, and I have to say I agree with him. :tongue:

See the thing is I always do a whole 2 page analysis of each artist every time I explore one, then do loads of art that links up showing all my development, and then do a summary of what I think about my responses like how well it relates to the artist, etc. Yet I always get C and on a lucky day, a B. On worse days, I also get some D grades! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong really. I think it's because, the actual artwork I do to be far isn't exactly the best. It's Year 8 skill-like really, yet the work actually does link up to the artist and I show all the development on each work I do so surely this shouldn't affect it yet it does.

I just don't know with art, everything just is never good enough. :rolleyes:
Hahah! Oh goodness. I have not done any of my summer projects nor have I completed any of my homework. Art is a very easy topic to catch up on. Do not worry about this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
You're doing more than 1 final piece? I though for the exam you only do 1 final piece?

I don't know what exam board I'm doing, we have 60% coursework in which you have to produce 3 final pieces along with a sketchbook for each piece. You only have 45hours for the pieces but the sketchbooks can take as long as you like.

Then for the exam we have to prepare for 1 piece and then we have 10 hoursto do it.

Until now I though that is what everyone does? Do you think it varies between exam boards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher says I can easily pass GCSE Art with an A I'm just too lazy. He also said it would be a stupid idea for me to do Art A-Level, and I have to say I agree with him. :tongue:

See the thing is I always do a whole 2 page analysis of each artist every time I explore one, then do loads of art that links up showing all my development, and then do a summary of what I think about my responses like how well it relates to the artist, etc. Yet I always get C and on a lucky day, a B. On worse days, I also get some D grades! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong really. I think it's because, the actual artwork I do to be far isn't exactly the best. It's Year 8 skill-like really, yet the work actually does link up to the artist and I show all the development on each work I do so surely this shouldn't affect it yet it does.

I just don't know with art, everything just is never good enough. :rolleyes:

What you're doing sounds enough...

Shall I type up a contents list of my exam book? I think I remember every page :lol:
Original post by contradicta
I don't know what exam board I'm doing, we have 60% coursework in which you have to produce 3 final pieces along with a sketchbook for each piece. You only have 45hours for the pieces but the sketchbooks can take as long as you like.

Then for the exam we have to prepare for 1 piece and then we have 10 hoursto do it.

Until now I though that is what everyone does? Do you think it varies between exam boards?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AQA and we only need one. :tongue:
What you're doing sounds enough...

Shall I type up a contents list of my exam book? I think I remember every page :lol:

Contents list? :tongue: If you would take out the time of telling me how you laid it out, that'd be great. :biggrin:
Contents list? :tongue: If you would take out the time of telling me how you laid it out, that'd be great. :biggrin:

Right my exam book, my theme was forces:

General Mindmap on different forces

Mindmap for my chosen theme, of Propaganda.

Writing of what propaganda is and different examples and how it relates to forces.

2 page spread for each country (I did 3) and how they use propaganda. It was one side writing and one side examples of posters.

So I said I'm focusing on posters now. And the Nazi German regime.

5 artists links (double spread for each) one side writing and analysis of each. And then my attempt at their work and evaluation on the other side.

3 pages on my 6 initial ideas (2 on each side) with description of materials I intend to use, explaining my ideas, why I'm doing things.

Then I did 2 sides for each experiment, one for the art and one side for evaluation.

I then designed my final piece with annotations and small scale (A4) and then a computer version of brick layout (like boxes for arms and everything).

Then I got pictures of each part of my final piece. Eg a chess piece. So I got images of them. A bow tie, get different pictures of bow ties etc.

Then I did my final piece and evaluated it.

Proof that it doesn't need to be amazing:

Spoiler

^ final piece. I actually have pictures of my exam book, but I cba uploading atm :frown:
Reply 29
somehow i managed to get an A* in my GCSE art, i found that it was best to listen to my teacher and take as much of her advice as possible because at the end of the day she has a massive job in the final marking of the piece! i tried to use as many different media as i could and picked a subject where i could easily get primary research (still life or your own photos) because they hate you using secondary research! hope this helps x
Right my exam book, my theme was forces:

General Mindmap on different forces

Mindmap for my chosen theme, of Propaganda.

Writing of what propaganda is and different examples and how it relates to forces.

2 page spread for each country (I did 3) and how they use propaganda. It was one side writing and one side examples of posters.

So I said I'm focusing on posters now. And the Nazi German regime.

5 artists links (double spread for each) one side writing and analysis of each. And then my attempt at their work and evaluation on the other side.

3 pages on my 6 initial ideas (2 on each side) with description of materials I intend to use, explaining my ideas, why I'm doing things.

Then I did 2 sides for each experiment, one for the art and one side for evaluation.

I then designed my final piece with annotations and small scale (A4) and then a computer version of brick layout (like boxes for arms and everything).

Then I got pictures of each part of my final piece. Eg a chess piece. So I got images of them. A bow tie, get different pictures of bow ties etc.

Then I did my final piece and evaluated it.

Proof that it doesn't need to be amazing:

Spoiler

^ final piece. I actually have pictures of my exam book, but I cba uploading atm :frown:

Wow, I think I can clearly see why I got a C for my mock now!

Your work sounds like it was linked very well to the topic in question - where as my one was completely unrelated (main blame is my teacher for telling me to do it even though it had no relevance to the topic). The topic was Artefacts, and I did shadows, no relevance there at all.

Thank you so much for explaining how you did your Unit 1 book. It explained really well what is required to get a good grade, and I think if I follow the method you did I might be able to get at least a strong B grade. :smile:

Your final piece is very detailed so, it sort of does have to be amazing. :tongue: But it doesn't look like it's impossible or it has to be super-fantastic-amazing.

Thanks again for telling me this - they come in handy as great tips to getting a decent grade in this darn subject. :biggrin:
Hiya is art hard or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, I think I can clearly see why I got a C for my mock now!

Your work sounds like it was linked very well to the topic in question - where as my one was completely unrelated (main blame is my teacher for telling me to do it even though it had no relevance to the topic). The topic was Artefacts, and I did shadows, no relevance there at all.

Thank you so much for explaining how you did your Unit 1 book. It explained really well what is required to get a good grade, and I think if I follow the method you did I might be able to get at least a strong B grade. :smile:

Your final piece is very detailed so, it sort of does have to be amazing. :tongue: But it doesn't look like it's impossible or it has to be super-fantastic-amazing.

Thanks again for telling me this - they come in handy as great tips to getting a decent grade in this darn subject. :biggrin:

Yes! Don't stray away, link it all and stay focussed.

That was my Unit 2! (the exam)
Reply 33
I was 2UMS off an A* for Photography since i got 99 in unit 1 and 79 in unit 2. Is there any way of remarking unit 1 to get a mid A grade for the unit instead of a low A
Yes! Don't stray away, link it all and stay focussed.

That was my Unit 2! (the exam)

Oh my bad, I thought Unit 1 was the exam. :tongue: Have art tomorrow so going to try and boost up those grades. :biggrin:
My arse of a teacher told me I got an E because he was p....off that I had to leave the art exam to complete a controlled assessment for English as my school screwed up my english entry. He had absolutely no sympathy or understanding I was so tearful and stressed at the time. This interruption was not my fault! My work was every bit as detailed as the persons above, my clay I emailed photos to everyone I was so proud. I got it finished, I'm no artist but really hoped for at least a C for it.

I have been told I can't ask for a remark as coincidently apparently now I'm told it was moderated! I don't believe him. What a jobs worth. He made it quite clear it was his opinion that got me the bad grade, I'm so mad.
Oh my bad, I thought Unit 1 was the exam. :tongue: Have art tomorrow so going to try and boost up those grades. :biggrin:

:woo: go you!
Reply 37
Original post by Saranya S
I was 2UMS off an A* for Photography since i got 99 in unit 1 and 79 in unit 2. Is there any way of remarking unit 1 to get a mid A grade for the unit instead of a low A

I'm not sure, I just got accepted in an evening GCSE class for photography. What is is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I enjoy art to an extent. My teacher's crazy ideas send me insane and she's constantly saying 'use your own ideas' and then basically tells us exactly what she wants to do. I have done my holiday homework...yesterday :biggrin:. She gave us all a piece of wire mesh and we had to weave things into it, so I weaved a load of ribbons in. She really loves weaving...
Reply 39
Original post by contradicta
I'm not sure, I just got accepted in an evening GCSE class for photography. What is is like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually quite fun, I mainly enjoyed learning how to use Photoshop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending