The Student Room Group

'Where does learning happen?'

I got an assignment to do before I start college. One of the questions are 'Where does learning happen?' So what places can you think of ? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Laila 247
I got an assignment to do before I start collage. One of the questions are 'Where does learning happen?' So what places can you think of ? :tongue:

In your head?
Original post by Laila 247
collage.

Obviously not in your English lessons. :tongue:

But yeah...school?

Or if you want to be literal, it happens everywhere.
Reply 3
Surely it's everywhere?

In the traditional academic reading and writing sense, in class, in libraries, at home, in the park on a sunny day, on the beach over Easter, wherever you feel comfortable.

But in reality, we learn things all day. We walk around and see city centre maps, learning the landscape. We read bill boards, learning about companies. We watch the news, learning about politics, current affairs, history, and so on.

I listen to Radio 4 every now and then. That means I'm learning whilst I'm cycling to lectures (I also learn how much of a douche some drivers can be).

I would argue that every hour you're awake you're learning something, perhaps taking the phrase, "learn something new every day", to a new level. It might just be developing a sense of perspective, or slight building on blocks of knowledge and experiences you have, but it's learning.

[INDENT]learn·ing
Noun
"The acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught."
[/INDENT]

Walking for 20 minutes down a high street is practice, adds perspective, and you will not get exactly the same perspective on it the next time you walk down, subtle as the differences in steps may be.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
Obviously not in your English lessons. :tongue:

But yeah...school?

Or if you want to be literal, it happens everywhere.

lol I wrote that but I need to expand on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The library, educational institutions, on the internet

What subject is this for?
Reply 6
Original post by Toriar
The library, educational institutions, on the internet

What subject is this for?

It's for induction day.
Reply 7
Original post by DarkWhite
Surely it's everywhere?

In the traditional academic reading and writing sense, in class, in libraries, at home, in the park on a sunny day, on the beach over Easter, wherever you feel comfortable.

But in reality, we learn things all day. We walk around and see city centre maps, learning the landscape. We read bill boards, learning about companies. We watch the news, learning about politics, current affairs, history, and so on.

I listen to Radio 4 every now and then. That means I'm learning whilst I'm cycling to lectures (I also learn how much of a douche some drivers can be).

I would argue that every hour you're awake you're learning something, perhaps taking the phrase, "learn something new every day", to a new level. It might just be developing a sense of perspective, or slight building on blocks of knowledge and experiences you have, but it's learning.
learn·ing
Noun
"The acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught."

Walking for 20 minutes down a high street is practice, adds perspective, and you will not get exactly the same perspective on it the next time you walk down, subtle as the differences in steps may be.

That helped a lot thank you so much.
OP, you do realise that the point of this assignment isn't to give a correct answer, right? :erm:

As long as you can rationalise it, you can say anything
Learning is life, no?
Original post by Lord Frieza
Learning is life, no?

Or is life learning? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest