The Student Room Group

Help me please!!

I have recently finished my A levels and didn't get the grades I was hoping for. I could have done so much better and got into university but I got so stressed out and my work suffered as a result.

I am not sure what to do now. I want to resit A2 to get better grades however I don't know how I can convince my head of sixth form to let me.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences and what did you do. Please I really need some help and advice!
Reply 1
Anyone?
Your best bet is definitely to convince your Head of Sixth Form to allow you to resit. However,this does not mean resitting the whole year - just the exams. It would be pointless to go through another year of teaching, unless you got UUU or something.
Reply 3
Have you looked at going to a different college in your area? Transference of your subjects exam boards, wont usually be an issue 9/10 - Exam officers do this regularly and completes all paperwork for you.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
Your best bet is definitely to convince your Head of Sixth Form to allow you to resit. However,this does not mean resitting the whole year - just the exams. It would be pointless to go through another year of teaching, unless you got UUU or something.

I have tried and he doesn't think its worth me resitting as he believes that my grades wouldn't go up by much. I know that I can improve them by resitting the year. I don't see the point in starting college to do something new when all I need to do is work harder and get my grades.

Most of my subjects are course work and exams that why resitting the year would mean that I could work on them both in order to raise my grades.

And just to clarify no I didnt get UUU :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Have you looked at going to a different college in your area? Transference of your subjects exam boards, wont usually be an issue 9/10 - Exam officers do this regularly and completes all paperwork for you.

I was at a sixth form. I don't feel confident going to college and I don't think they offer the subjects I was doing. I just need a way to convince my head of sixth form and I know that I can work really hard.
Original post by Anonymousgirll
I have tried and he doesn't think its worth me resitting as he believes that my grades wouldn't go up by much. I know that I can improve them by resitting the year. I don't see the point in starting college to do something new when all I need to do is work harder and get my grades.

Most of my subjects are course work and exams that why resitting the year would mean that I could work on them both in order to raise my grades.

And just to clarify no I didnt get UUU :smile:

Then I recommend Jkizer's advice - look at other local colleges.

Or get a job.
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume
Then I recommend Jkizer's advice - look at other local colleges.

Or get a job.

I really want to stay at sixth form though. I want to go to university next year I just need to work harder on my grades.

I am thinking about getting a job to earn money but I want my studies to be my main goal.
I really want to stay at sixth form though. I want to go to university next year I just need to work harder on my grades.

I am thinking about getting a job to earn money but I want my studies to be my main goal.

Have you explained the situation thoroughly to the head of sixth form? If he won't let you repeat the year then you need to swap to another sixth form where they will. It's really easily done even if it's different exam boards - I had to transfer two of mine when I repeated.
Reply 9
Look for a different college. it will be a new start with new teachers so you wont have your past failure hanging over you if you return to your old one!
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Have you explained the situation thoroughly to the head of sixth form? If he won't let you repeat the year then you need to swap to another sixth form where they will. It's really easily done even if it's different exam boards - I had to transfer two of mine when I repeated.

I have talked to him about it but haven't managed to convince him, so one the whole I haven't managed it thoroughly enough. That will take time and im not sure if other sixth forms will let me in.

What did u take and what happened?
Original post by ladynova
Look for a different college. it will be a new start with new teachers so you wont have your past failure hanging over you if you return to your old one!

I really don't want to do that but it will be my only option if I can't go back.
I have talked to him about it but haven't managed to convince him, so one the whole I haven't managed it thoroughly enough. That will take time and im not sure if other sixth forms will let me in.

What did u take and what happened?

I did chemsistry/biology/maths/economics at my school (it's done differently in NI, we have a lot of schools with sixth forms within them), and dropped the chemistry for A2, ending up with BCCc overall. I needed ABB to get into my course so I was miles away.
So I changed to a different sixth form (and had to change exam boards for biology and economics) and ended up with ABC overall, which the uni accepted.

I just think I needed a change of scenery if you know what I mean? I did much, much better the second time I did A2.
I did chemsistry/biology/maths/economics at my school (it's done differently in NI, we have a lot of schools with sixth forms within them), and dropped the chemistry for A2, ending up with BCCc overall. I needed ABB to get into my course so I was miles away.
So I changed to a different sixth form (and had to change exam boards for biology and economics) and ended up with ABC overall, which the uni accepted.

I just think I needed a change of scenery if you know what I mean? I did much, much better the second time I did A2.

Congratulations u did well so what course are u doing and what uni.
Congratulations u did well so what course are u doing and what uni.

I'm doing Optometry at Anglia Ruskin. Some people have sneered at it but there's only 9 places that do it, and ARU has it's own on-site eye clinic and a really high professional exam pass rate, so I'm happy.
I'm doing Optometry at Anglia Ruskin. Some people have sneered at it but there's only 9 places that do it, and ARU has it's own on-site eye clinic and a really high professional exam pass rate, so I'm happy.

Well done and u have done really well if there are only 9 places :smile:
They have let me back thank you everyone! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest