The Student Room Group

Can someone give me an insight on courses?!

Hey, i am taking psychology, sociology and health and social care at as level, i would really like to know what sort of things the course entails in more detail and other peoples opinions on them to see if it is something i actually want to do..
Reply 1
I've just done AS levels in Psychology and Sociology and I really enjoyed them. If you're interested in how people behave and interact, then I'd say go for it. I was with AQA for both, so your courses might vary, but this is what I did:

In Psychology we learned about attachment (how babies form attachments and how these affect them in later life), memory (e.g. short term and long term memory and how it can be improved), social psychology (why people conform and obey, i.e. studies and experiments based on why people in Nazi Germany obeyed orders) and abnormality (different approaches/explanations for mental illness and possible treatments based on these approaches). For all of these we had to use studies as evidence and give evaluations.

In Sociology we looked at families and households, and education with research methods. With families and households we learned about different family types, family diversity and how family life has changed over time. In education we looked into different factors that affect educational experience e.g. cultural, social, financial. Then we learned how research methods such as questionnaires and observations, can be used to investigate educational issues. For all the units we looked at different perspectives, mainly Marxism, Feminism, Functionalism and The New Right.

Your school/college might be with a different exam board or offer different units, but in general I think the subjects would still be really interesting. Health and Social Care would definitely go well with them, and it also has elements of Psychology and Sociology. I don't study AS Health & Social at college but I have a text book on it, and I'll be starting a BTEC in it soon.

Hope this helps! :smile:

What are you hoping to do after A levels?
Reply 2
Thank you so much! This has gave me a much clearer insight on those two subjects. I had a rough idea from taster days but now i know more of what to expect.

After my a levels im planning on going to uni then going going into midwifery, so i think these subjects are the right choices.

How did you find both the subjects? Easy? Hard? Is there a lot to them? What other subject did you take alongside them?

Thank you again.
Reply 3
You're welcome! They definitely sound good for midwifery. I'm hoping to do nursing and I think they'll be useful for that as well (both being healthcare and people-based).

I found Sociology quite easy to grasp but with Psychology it took a lot more to get my head round. There are lots of studies and evaluations to learn for Psychology, and different perspectives you need to know for Sociology. I also took English Language :smile:
Reply 4
Sounds good! I wish you the best and hope you get to where you want to be!:smile:
Reply 5
Thank you hun. Same to you!

Quick Reply

Latest