The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Anyone else run?

Im used to running 5-10 mile routes 3 or 4 times a week, and I was wondering where people run in Canterbury. I did my undergrad there (starting MA in a few weeks) and I cant really think of where Id go from the campus, since its on a very steep hill. Cant imagine much liking the eliot footpath as my cooldown!

If anyone else runs, where do you do it?
Reply 1
Did you join the UKC Athletics and Cross Country sports club? I did some running with them last year - they generally do the Crab & Winkle loop, as well as a town route.

When I lived in Darwin, my 5mile route was starting at Darwin, going to Venue, down University Road past Keynes bus stop, turn left and follow Whistable Road down to Westgate, then turn left at the Wetherspoons and follow that road all the way to where Sainsbury's is - turn left at roundabout and follow that road all the way up past Ye Olde Beverely, up Tyler Hill and left again back onto campus. It was a nice varied route that encompasses some hill work for strength training.

Alternatively, just a few laps from Parkwood down to Tyler, across to Keynes and back up again via Sports Centre a few times would be around 3-4miles!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TCarrington
Im used to running 5-10 mile routes 3 or 4 times a week, and I was wondering where people run in Canterbury. I did my undergrad there (starting MA in a few weeks) and I cant really think of where Id go from the campus, since its on a very steep hill. Cant imagine much liking the eliot footpath as my cooldown!

If anyone else runs, where do you do it?

Don't live there any more, but I can honestly say I've never found anywhere better for great running routes on your doorstep. There's quite a few possible routes that don't involve finishing by coming back up the hill.

Reference map: http://binged.it/1381hHH

If you head north on the path from the north west corner of Parkwood) you can go up the Crab and Winkle as far as Whitstable, or branch off into Clowes Wood.

If you follow the path at the South West corner of Parkwood there is a path that runs down to the main road. Cross over and go down the path on the right of Kent College and you can get into Blean Woods which are huge - there are a couple of waymarked routes of different lengths starting from one of the car parks.

On the Tyler Hill side, if you cross the road by the roundabout at the top of campus, there is a path that runs East into a network of foopaths. You can get up into West Blean Woods and if you fancy an epic, do a huge circle and end up on the Crab and Winkle.

You can make smaller circles starting from the path across the road from Ingram which links up with the paths on the East and West of campus.

If you don't mind the hill on the way back then there are plenty of good routes down towards Chartham Hatch (South West) or out towards Fordwich (East).

Obviously a lot of these routes get very muddy in the winter.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending